DVD drive cannot read CD at all

RedsManRick

Chieftain
I have a Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-852S drive in my laptop. When I put the first disk in the drive, it spins up a few times and then fails. If I try to access the CD via explorer, it just hangs. I've had no problems with any other CD/DVDs.

---Note---
This is not a post-install issue. I cannot read the CD at all. Period. It's as if it does not exist to my computer. This is also the case with the 2nd CD . It's not a mislabling issue. There was some confusion about this when I posted elsewhere.

When I put the CD in my ancient desktop, the auto-run install menu pops right up, so I know it's an issue with my drive/comp rather than the CD itself.

There are no updates to my existing firmware that I could find. Am I just SOL unless I go buy an external drive? I played around with Alochol & sd4hide and couldn't get anything. I'd appreciate whatever help you could provide.

Hmm, I actually experienced quite a few problems with my Civ 4 disc on my computer(Sony dvd burner). Do you have any software for emulating dvd drives on your computer? Like daemon tools, or alcohol 120%. Many of these programs (even if they arent running) can cause issues, since civ4 uses safedisc 5.

If you dont get any luck with that I really cant say what may be causing the problem.

Good luck!

Ireavus

Top Bottom