1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Unit Pack

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by Civitar, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Dunabar

Dunabar Chieftain

Awesome. :rockon:

Wish I could get the hang of Blender. I actually used XSI Softimage back when I was in school, but after leaving school I didn't have access to any sort of 3D modeling software. But free software (IE: Blender) vs. 10,000 dollar software (IE: XSI) makes for a limited choice ultimately lol. Still though, keep up the awesome work Civitar! :goodjob:

2. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Not much to it. I barely know how to use Blender, just enough to do these units. But you pick up a trick or two with every new unit. You gotta be willing to take about a week to a month of utter frustration before units start working.

3. Dunabar

Dunabar Chieftain

I don't doubt that one bit. I know back when I was learning XSI, I took a month of just messing around before really starting to deliver decent quality work. But at least 3D modeling is easier than drawing to me lol. :D

4. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Well - with the Elf pack being resuscitated the Dwarves need to return! It's not available for download yet, but look at this unit Nomad made for me!
    Spoiler :
    He made it for me ages ago, but it's been hibernating on my hard drive since then...
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

5. Belzhorash

Belzhorash Chieftain

Oh man... I almost wet my pants.
    Wonderful!

6. yenyang

yenyang Chieftain

Awesome. You two managed to extract some models out of BFME2. Goodluck! I can't wait to see more. Now I just need to find time to add the new models to my mod. . .

7. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Hey, looks like the fantasy unit gang is getting back together - with the notable exception of Nomad, who will probably never return.:( Just gotta get Pazyryk and zwei833 back here.:p
    There aren't any new models to be downloaded yet - but since I know somebody (ahem Regalman) who has BFME2, anybody feel like a Nazgûl on a dragon (gotta shoot for the stars!)?:D:D:D

8. Belzhorash

Belzhorash Chieftain

How about a whole FfH conversion, to start with? :)

Just kidding. Nazgul sounds great!

Funny things is, I've tried to convert stuff by myself but I seem to be too stupid (even with the tutorials).

9. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

FFH conversion in its entirety? Dude, that would be shooting for the flipping quasars.

What did you try to convert, just out of curiosity?

10. Belzhorash

Belzhorash Chieftain

A random unit just to try. I believe it was the blue mage.

11. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

So I've been out of it for a while and likely will be for a while yet. However, good news! Nomad or What has uploaded the Dwarf Warrior in his new Middle Earth thread!

Check it out!

12. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

To quote MacArthur, I shall return! Well, except in this case I apparently already have.... :)

I have all of the LOTR: BFMEII & ROTWK stuff, so if you need the mesh/art for them I can make that happen. The problem with a Nazgûl on a dragon is that it will require custom animations (the eagle rider animations are unsuited for this IMHO). I believe there was an Atlantica Online unit that could have been used as a good animation base for this type of unit - I will check (unfortunately, since the hard drive crash I still have the source art but don't have them organized anymore - so I will have to sort through them again). AO units are one of the rare exceptions of 3D modeling from other games where we can import animations (since many of them are .nif Gamebryo files and directly importable like Civ IV anims); everything else is mostly limited to mesh and skins only.

13. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

I am very happy to have been wrong about your return, which you know perfectly well by now.

I'm back too (though much reduced for now). We can hash it out on Steam which units will get converted by who and how and as what if you like.

14. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

I think this may be the true undead pack - it rises again from the dead!
    All the existing dwarf units have now been replaced with the BFME2 dwarves, and several brand new units are planned/in progress. Including crossbowmen, musketmen, and siege engines.:):):)

15. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

16. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

Now THAT's what dwarves should look like! Can't wait to see them in a mod....

17. FarceSensitive

FarceSensitive Chieftain

Could you make dwarf pistol armed cavalry (with armor and black horses)? :bowdown:

18. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

@FarceSensitive: I'm planning cavalry, but no ranged cavalry yet.

19. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Thanks for the new units. If you're making cavalry, it would be great if it's boar-based :)

20. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

The cavalry I have planned has pony riders, badger riders, and goat riders.

What more do you need??:lol:;)