dwarven shadows & totems

You need (IIRC) CoE in a city to be able to build dwarven shadows (as with all shadows).

What were the elephant/mammoth totems?

-Colin

In Orbis, you need to follow CoE (as state religion) to buld any type of shadow (or upgrade to it).

Elephant/mammoth totems grant fear ability to the unit. Not sure if that is so overpowered. It is not easy to capture an elephant, plus you can release it to gain ivory resource. A fair tradeoff.
Is unit with fear ability really so powerfull?

Regarding AI, yes, I think I need to work on totem adopting

Menacing Helm is a rare artifact found in dens and lairs that also gives fear. The Holy Hand Grenade gives fear. Any undead, demon, or nightmare (mounted) unit can gain fear after Combat V. Personally I'd rather have the ivory resource over the fear totem in nearly every situation. Plenty of promotions also protect against fear, Courage being the easiest to acquire (Spirit I spell).

My personal favorite totem is the Tiger Totem, gives +3 first strikes and +25% strength. If anything, it seems too good. Here's a breakdown of the totems:

Requires Subdue Animal
  • Bear[tab][tab]+30% Str
  • Elephant[tab]Fear, Garrisoned City 25% Less Likely to Revolt
  • Gorilla[tab][tab]-50% Upgrade Costs, +25% Experience
  • Lion[tab][tab]+1 Attack Str, Immune to Fear
  • Mammoth[tab]Fear, Garrisoned City 25% Less Likely to Revolt, 25% Cold Resist
  • Polar Bear[tab]+40% Str, +20% Cold Resist
  • Tiger[tab][tab]+3 First Strikes, +25% Str
  • Wolf[tab][tab]+25% Withdraw, +1 XP Per Combat

Requires Subdue Beast
  • Griffon[tab]Blitz, +15% Withdraw, +1 Attack/Defend Str
  • Spider[tab]+20% Withdraw, +2 First Strikes, +1 Poison Str
  • Troll[tab][tab]March, +25% Extra Healing, +1 Attack/Defend Str

All three of the Subdue Beast Promotions are amazing, but Subdue Beast is a hard promo to get (Requires Combat 3 and Subdue Animals). Only Beastmasters start with this promotion. However for the lesser tier Subdue Animals is a fairly easy promotion to get, and Rangers start off with it. Of all the first tier promotions, to me it is the Tiger Totem that stands out as being clearly better than many alternatives. There is no reason for me to ever want the Bear Totem if I can get the Tiger Totem. As such I would suggest reducing to 10% or removing entirely the +strength on the Tiger Totem, it is great already with the first strikes.

But to return to the original discussion, I would rather "farm" tigers (or whichever den animals are available) for my mass-produced rangers than waste a precious elephant on a Totem. Remember, Ivory is gathered by camps, camps do not remove the forest they are planted on. Put the Ivory in forested squares for a significant yield bonus (the normal Ivory yield + 1/2 health and +1 hammer from the forest). Dumping 6 or 7 Ivory on a city turns your fringe colony into an economic powerhouse. This is also doable fairly early in the game with hunters, to give recon-focused civilizations a significant economic boost.

You need (IIRC) CoE in a city to be able to build dwarven shadows (as with all shadows). -Colin

Ahh, hadn't realized Orbis change the requirement for Shadows. Makes some sense, and I planned on upgrading to Marksmen anyways.

Elephant/mammoth totems grant fear ability to the unit. Not sure if that is so overpowered. It is not easy to capture an elephant, plus you can release it to gain ivory resource. A fair tradeoff.
Is unit with fear ability really so powerfull?

Regarding AI, yes, I think I need to work on totem adopting

Well, I guess not. My concern is largely due to the AI not adopting efficient use of the Fear mechanic, as it seems I can fear spam the AI to my advantage without retaliation.

Menacing Helm is a rare artifact found in dens and lairs that also gives fear. The Holy Hand Grenade gives fear. Any undead, demon, or nightmare (mounted) unit can gain fear after Combat V. Personally I'd rather have the ivory resource over the fear totem in nearly every situation. Plenty of promotions also protect against fear, Courage being the easiest to acquire (Spirit I spell).

My personal favorite totem is the Tiger Totem, gives +3 first strikes and +25% strength. If anything, it seems too good. Here's a breakdown of the totems:

All three of the Subdue Beast Promotions are amazing, but Subdue Beast is a hard promo to get (Requires Combat 3 and Subdue Animals). Only Beastmasters start with this promotion. However for the lesser tier Subdue Animals is a fairly easy promotion to get, and Rangers start off with it. Of all the first tier promotions, to me it is the Tiger Totem that stands out as being clearly better than many alternatives. There is no reason for me to ever want the Bear Totem if I can get the Tiger Totem. As such I would suggest reducing to 10% or removing entirely the +strength on the Tiger Totem, it is great already with the first strikes.

But to return to the original discussion, I would rather "farm" tigers (or whichever den animals are available) for my mass-produced rangers than waste a precious elephant on a Totem. Remember, Ivory is gathered by camps, camps do not remove the forest they are planted on. Put the Ivory in forested squares for a significant yield bonus (the normal Ivory yield + 1/2 health and +1 hammer from the forest). Dumping 6 or 7 Ivory on a city turns your fringe colony into an economic powerhouse. This is also doable fairly early in the game with hunters, to give recon-focused civilizations a significant economic boost.

I dropped the Tiger totem, which is quite good, for the Griffin Blitz ability. I like building up a strong offensive unit who attacks multiple times that heals himself after each battle. I find it easy to make units with capture beasts. Thank you for the Ivory elephant tip! There are definitely a ton of elephants in every game.

Top Bottom