Early Galley?

StrategeryBush

Warlord
I typically play on Emperor, Single-player. I go Warrior - Warrior, and then usually build a Galley to go Artifact hunting. I don't see anyone suggesting that in any of the strategy guides. At what point is it recommended to send a galley off to find the freebie artifacts?

Well most strats need to be as fast as possible and by building a galley, which takes x amount of turns with your city producing rather than growing and getting ready for early expansion, on a gamble isn't recommended. Besides, if you play MP youll find that alot of people use the Spanish, in which case your early galley would be obsolete to their early galleon.

Just hunting blindly for artifacts isn't really advisable, but if barbarians told you where the Seven Cities of Gold is, you should certainly go get it as quickly as possible.

Some players have observed that if you set your production to a galley the turn you finish a barb, the barb is more likely to give you a galley. You can try this if you want a galley.

I wouldn't ever just hammer out a galley unless I had an island start. Takes 8 turns working two forests!

I never build a Galley until I have my 100g Settler, a Library rushed in my capital (or 2nd city if it is better) and Code of Laws. I have only had one start where I was on such a small island that I had trouble finding a spot for my second city.

Top Bottom