Early to Mid Domination

SilmNR

Chieftain
I'm new to civ 5 and this forum, So i still havent got my way around everything. The few games I played (all on prince) and indicated in the forums that early to mid domination (warmongering) seems to be the most straight forward winning strategy.

Germany and China are the obvious civs for this strategy. Though I find Germany excel's more on smaller maps with less civs and somewhat luck based (50% conversion) and their advantage dies out once game progress pass a certain stage. China on the other hand is not as fast as German's but have a much more solid mid game. What is a good build order for china and germany and what other civ would you say have good early to mid game domination but perhaps with more versatility ?

Also what social tree besides honor would be helpful at mid game domination game?

any input would be appreciated

The Greeks are early rush monsters. Get the tech for your luxuries first, resell to AIs, buy allies, grow, beeline to Horses, spam Companion Cavalry, kill nearest neighbor, repeat until you are out of neighbors or the AI techs to the point where the CCs are a liability. Leave Bismarck alone. Nobody else really makes Pikes.

Whatever strategy you plan to try, if you want to build a lot of units then you need to go horizontal (build Settlers) early and settle them on sites with lots of Hammers. Look for Hills, especially on rivers or near Food bonus tiles. Of course, with any civ be on the lookout for city sites that are loaded down in luxuries. I just spun up a Russia game where there are five furs within seven tiles of my spawn. Strong trade bait.

Some people have had more early success with the Songkai and Rome than I have. You'd want to ask them what they're doing.

I'm new to civ 5 and this forum, So i still havent got my way around everything. The few games I played (all on prince) and indicated in the forums that early to mid domination (warmongering) seems to be the most straight forward winning strategy.

Germany and China are the obvious civs for this strategy. Though I find Germany excel's more on smaller maps with less civs and somewhat luck based (50% conversion) and their advantage dies out once game progress pass a certain stage. China on the other hand is not as fast as German's but have a much more solid mid game. What is a good build order for china and germany and what other civ would you say have good early to mid game domination but perhaps with more versatility ?

Also what social tree besides honor would be helpful at mid game domination game?

any input would be appreciated

You're not going to win an early or mid game domination unless you play on smaller maps with no oceans to traverse. If you just mean early conquering for territory, the availability of nearby strategic resources will have a bigger impact that which civ you pick.

I just did a domination game with Songhai--took my sweet time, also because there was only one other civ in my hemisphere and I wiped them out quickly. For social policies, honor is the obvious. Piety works ok for offsetting some of the early happiness problems with going to war and extending an empire. With the Songhai, you make crazy amounts of money just razing cities and killing barbarians. I got lucky with barby spawn rates on my continent, but I made enough money just killing them to buy things like workers, harbors, etc. instead of having to build them from scratch. It makes a difference not having to wait :lol:

I guess when I say domination it doesnt have to mean winning the game rather dominating all the neighbors early and amassing lot of resources like horses and iron. Which sets you up for a easier late game if the map is large.

regardless im interested in when you build improvements/settlers which usually takes a while compared to making military units.

Top Bottom