Earth 2014

Thanks for your reply! Just like in Civ 4, your Civ 5 scenario is one of my most favorite! :goodjob: Missing Special Forces and terrorists, though...

Do you have any plans to include Coprporations or merge with existing Corporation modcomp? Kings ruled in older time, in our modern time Corporations have the true power, without them modern Earth feels as unrealistic as without modern military. I did play a game with your mod and Corporation mod together, I must say it turned out very nicely, I was happy to see that small Germany was able to build 1 Corporation, China stole 2 and my USA had 4, bringing me 1/6 of my income in the late game. Competition with Russia for the key City States like Sweden was very fierce -- outbidding influences got to 300s :c5influence:, and extra cash from Corporations gave me an edge on Emperor difficulty. As it should. Russia is number one in land, China in population, but USA is number one in GDP and lion share of it comes from US Corporations. We need BIG business please! :)

I am not sure if you are ever planning to update this scenario with any significant changes, but at least I hope we could fix some oddities which I will list in this thread gradually as I discover them:

1. My first observation is Missionary costs 1000 :c5faith: while initial Great Prophet 200. This makes me a little uncomfortable ;)
2. Also I hope there is a way to rename Pantheon to Religious current or Local Believes or something else corresponding to the modern nature of the scenario. Especially since Pantheon Believes are listed with the respect of the real life World Religions.
3. While we on this Messiah name/belief is more fitting to one of the Christianities than Hinduism, while World Church name more belongs to Catholicism than Judaism, but you can also simply rename it to Chosen People or something.
4. Egyptian UB should be really already present in Egyptian cities (or at least in Cairo) at the start of scenario. It feels odd to "build" Ancient Egyptian Burial Tomb as (Islamic) Arab Republic of Egypt. Pretty sad that UB does not contain automatic ancient work of art.
5. World really needs pre-placed works of art/writing/music :greatwork: of different eras fitting to particular civ, as . I understand this can be a monumental task but in 2014 world does have Great Works of all the previous eras. Most civs can only realistically try to win via culture or diplomacy and artifacts alone do not reflect the rich cultural heritage of this planet.
6. Some civilizations where religion plays important role could be represented by few social policies in Piety brunch given at the start. In general I simply recommend universally giving each civ 3 policies from each 2 branches (6 free policies in total) instead of 3 from 1 brunch like now (3 in total). Say Egypt can have 3 Traditions like now and 3 Pieties. Whereas South Africa can start with 3 Traditions and 3 Rationalisms, to reflect the existing starting differences between various civs with greater depth.
7. By no means can Mexico's political system be described as a Freedom :crazyeye:. President belongs to Mexican political party that held power in the country for 71 years. You can compare Germany with USA, but you cannot compare Mexico to either. It's more on par with Argentina or Brazil. If you have noticed -- Order has the least number of civs adhering to it. So having one more (Mexico) will only help things. I am on the fence about Indonesian Freedom though... Freedom House lists country as "Partly Free". Even though they finally elected non-military president -- their official ideology Pancasila sounds something from the world of Order to me than Freedom. So it's your call to make, but I would keep in Freedom only mature democracies with the proven record of separation religion and state and no military/one party rule in recent past... Unlike civ 5 mechanics Order does not become Freedom overnight ;).
8. Finally please consider Iran situation. There is a Shinto and Judaism in this scenario but no Shia Islam which places Iran in very lonely position in real world. However, in civ 5 attitude does not get formed by differences in religion but rather by differences in Ideology. So I would recommend making Iran Order as well. No longer will Saudies like fellow Autocrats! Most Sunni Muslim civs are Autocracy anyway. On the map with North Korea -- Orders in Iran and Korean would get along nicely as in real life.

Once again I missed the notification for this thread, so apologies for yet another late reply (but better late than never, right :D).

You raise some good points, which I will try to address as succinctly as possible. First, I too was disappointed by the inability to add terrorists and special forces, but Civ5 didn't have a setting for hidden units like Civ4 did and that whole system in Earth 2010 revolved around that ability. If Civ6 brings back such an ability I will definitely include them in the next version of this mod (whenever I get around to it...probably won't be for a while). And I decided against using the corporations mod simply because I didn't want to add to many new gameplay elements, especially when those who wanted to could play both mods concurrently. I know that having a script for starting corporations would've added a more realistic feel when playing both mods together, but after the aggravation of getting the religious system to work I didn't feel like duplicating the effort for something that would be optional for most people.

Now to address the numbered points:
1. This is an oddity, and if I update the mod again I'll change it to have equal starting points.
2. & 3. Yes, these things could be dealt with by renaming, which would be appropriate, so I'll do that if I update.
4. Also a good point.
5. I would have done this, but sadly there was no way to do it (the map editor is configured for the vanilla version of the game, and I could not find any code functions that would allow me to do this by script like I did to add starting religions).
6. I did give each civ starting culture to spend as they see fit to modify their civs a little, and that's my preferred approach. I wanted to give each civ flavor, but not lock them down too much into a narrow playstyle.
7. This is a very good point, however, for gameplay purposes it makes sense to have the US share an ideology with its neighbors to avoid the AI immediately creating a United States of North America. While the US has fought both of its neighbors in the distant past, it is highly unlikely to do so again, so I wanted to make them as friendly as possible with one another. Although, since I discovered how to set relation modifiers after having made this mod I could go back and change ideologies but compensate with massive positive opinion bonuses between the US and Mexico. I'll have to think that one over.
8. A fair point; I think I'll change the ideologies to add greater antipathy between Iran and Arabia if I update this mod again. As for adding another religion, I may do it by just carbon copying Islam and having it be a duplicate religion (maybe change one belief for some flavor), but I have already used all of the existing beliefs and I'm too lazy to create more to flesh out Shia Islam as an entirely fresh religion. I do have a file for a Shia religious icon somewhere that I borrowed to use when I collaborated on making a scenario for the October War.

Thanks for the feedback; you have definitely been the most engaged fan for both my 2010 and 2014 mods, so I do appreciate hearing from you. :cheers:

Fix to make city bar in this mod compatible with EUI. (Currently disables this mod's changes to the city bar, so civ flags on the city bar will have a colored hue. Eventually I want to fix this proper, but for now it works.)

Extract to this mod's folder and agree to overwrite existing files.

Attachments

• Earth2014_CityBar_fix_for_EUI.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 234
This scenario is cool stuff, really look forward to the newer version for Civ 6.

There's a couple of things i do (using the in-game editor mod) to change the military side of the game -

1. Use the Advanced Air-Naval-Ground Units Megamod (word is it will be converted for Civ 6) to replace a lot of the generic units with unique units (some unit types assigned to more than one nation).

Brief Example:

Russian Federation

Special Forces -
Spetsnaz

Jets/Bombers -
Tu-95s
Sukhoi PAK FA T50s
Sukhoi Su-27s
MiG-29s
Tupolev TU 22s

Aircraft Carrier -
1 Kuznetsov Class

Subs -
Akula Class
Kilo Class

Destroyers:

Udaloy Class

Cruisers:

Kirov Class

Helicopters -

Mi-88s

Tanks -

T72s
T90s

and so on.

2. Use a source such as http://www.globalfirepower.com/ to tune the demographic rankings of military strength.
3. Add some older vintage unique units ie: Bismarck, Zeppelin...to Germany.
4. Placing Barbarian generals and RPG units in Middle East/Asian/African conflict zones, barbarian pirate ships off the East Africa coast, barbarian generals and gunners in Mexico/Brazil etc...

Last edited:
any chance there might be a Civ 6 update for this super duper brilliant mod? I'm holding back purchase of Civ 6, until there is a Earth 2016 or even Earth 2017 mod..... keeping my eye on this thread!

@genosypheus
I will make a Civ6 version, but probably not until late 2017/early 2018. I like to play unmodded civ for a while before getting into using mods and creating mods. For both Civ4 and Civ5 I waited until all expansions were out before creating any mods myself, but I aim to get started sooner for Civ6.

Hi, Sergeus. I downloaded your mod, and am using it as a basis to build my own; which I plan to release at the end of this year.

I just wanted to thank you and all the other modders on this forum for your continued love of the franchise that I've enjoyed since I was a kid, and I will keep you updated on my mod progress throughout the year.

Help me pls when i load the mod its just blank map and barbarian turn then defeated i cat choose civilazation too why?

Very very long time but i m still on civ 5
I m busy to create a civ 5 earth 2022-23 (ll add all units on this pic + new wonder in 3d "kaaba", "marinabay singapore", "bank of china", "burj khalifa", "tokyo tower", "hotel pyonyang", "spaceshuttle florida" and "European Parlement")
For civ, i ll use USA, European Union, Uk, Palestine, Israel, India, Japan, Russia, Ukraine, Iran, Arabia, Brasil, Egypt, Turkish, North korea, south korea, after that not sure.

I used model icon from earth 2014, some unit from megamod advance war
If someone want to help me, my discord Voltrock#1318

Little more : Maybe future unit (u see on second pic, bell 360 invectus for US, maybe i ll add a boat for europe "FDI").

Attachments

• UnitIconsModernAtlas256.png
    UnitIconsModernAtlas256.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • UnitIconsModern2.jpg
    UnitIconsModern2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • ICON_WONDER.jpg
    ICON_WONDER.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 27
  • ICON_LEADER_256.jpg
    ICON_LEADER_256.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • ICON_FLAG_COUNTRIES_256.jpg
    ICON_FLAG_COUNTRIES_256.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • ICON_FLAG_CITY_STATES_256.jpg
    ICON_FLAG_CITY_STATES_256.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Very very long time but i m still on civ 5
I m busy to create a civ 5 earth 2022-23 (ll add all units on this pic + new wonder in 3d "kaaba", "marinabay singapore", "bank of china", "burj khalifa", "tokyo tower", "hotel pyonyang", "spaceshuttle florida" and "European Parlement")
For civ, i ll use USA, European Union, Uk, Palestine (not playable), Israel, India, Japan, Russia, Ukraine, Iran, Arabia, Brasil, Egypt, Turkish, North korea, south korea, after that not sure.

I used model icon from earth 2014, some unit from megamod advance war
If someone want to help me, my discord Voltrock#1318

Here the link for the project

Little more : Maybe future unit (u see on second pic, bell 360 invectus for US, maybe i ll add a boat for europe "FDI").

fascinating his masterpiece, he really wanted to create 3d wonders, especially the most recent ones ever built in the real world. Have you finished any yet?

I work on mod, many problem with Text (manuel enter), some bug (korea scene), hyuga ddh unit problem (crash), unit bomber don't appear like some others, few problem with tanks (technologies obselete).
Civ work, every unit work except one, flag over units work. This mod can be reused (maybe possibilities work with others mods)
Bug know : Some text

Update : National wonder, need scale (u can see Tokyo Tower, European Parliament, Marina bay sands, Shuttlle, Bank of China and Ryugyeong Hotel)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • national wonder.png
    national wonder.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • china.png
    china.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • turk.png
    turk.png