1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth Map (180x87)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by aeric67, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Supreme Shogun

Supreme Shogun Warlord

May I suggest more N/S American Civs ? Only prob is 18 civs total not 32 like we had with Civ 3 Conquests.. Cherokee/Sioux/ Maya. Real civs expand better than 'barb towns' and generate culture better thus they would settle more of the map.

It's not easy playing the Americans either thats for sure. I thought about giving them some kind of bonus. A carrack named the mayflower? Not sure that'd help much. Extra settler or two with workers is too unbalancing. I just feel that when dealing with America it feels like 1692 on this continent although Europe starts at 4000bc. When N America was colonized it was the 1600's not 4000bc. There's a bit of time clash.
    Hell I don't know, I suppose I could make a 1692 world map, Europeans would have an advantage with established cities and capitals and the Americans maybe with just one like Jamestown size 1 :D

Re: Oil. Yes not only should Mexico have some but Texas as well.
    Iron and Coal I was thinking should be a little more abundant than it is.

Re: Gold, silver, gems. I guess it depends on when you think about it. As time went on it was mined heavily and hauled off on treasure fleets (Spanish ) I'll have to look at it again but I wouldnt advise tweaking really unless theres an unbalance (IE south americans have access to more lux than any other continent )

All in all a very good map. I don't mean to criticize you Aeric, I'm just voicing what's going thru my head, how I feel about it. You put time and effort in it. Kudos in my book.

2. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

No worries. I like to hear critical thoughts.

Much of the reason some resources aren't where they should be was for balance. I already have oil in Canada and Alaska, then oil in Venezuela. I swear there's some oil on this map in the Gulf of Mexico, but I can't remember right now. I didn't want there to be oil all over the place since there are really only three civs on the western hemisphere. I didn't want oil to be a non-issue when it came to strategy.

As far as the post 1600s feeling of conflict when playing the Americans, you have a good point. But I had to strike a balance. Americans weren't around in 4000BC (and probably shouldn't even be in this scenario, really). With that in mind, I decided to make it close to what America had to deal with when it was in its infancy. The fact that most if not all of the civs in this game were not around at 4000BC anyway allowed me to fudge historic fact quite a bit to maintain status quo... Also, much of the difficulty I put in the American position stems from the usually easy position they have on maps like this: (1) Block Aztecs (2) Take your time and settle the entire continent (3) Profit. I wanted to change that and give people a challenge.

As I do more research, I realize that some of my resource placements are very arguable. But again, if I placed a resource for every place that resource was found in real history, almost every resource would be within easy reach of every civ. Well, except elephants and ivory I guess. Game balance took precedence over historic accuracy, although not by much. Since resources never go away, you could argue resources that ran out in history (like gold and other precious metals and gems) shouldn't be placed. Then again, everything runs out eventually. Anyway, not saying it can't be perfected, but as long as it's playable and fun then I can't complain ;)

Any of you can do whatever you want with this map, just make sure I am mentioned somewhere in your credits ;)

3. wakwak

wakwak Chieftain

Thats not entirely true, The germanic tribes where around during Julius Ceasars time, While the Prussians were mostly likely not. however the teutonic order and germans where very active in the region during the medieval times

4. Evtim

Evtim Chieftain

Great map!

No recomendations from my side except one : if it is possible to include all leaders, it would be great.
    I love playing with Frederik.

Cheers!

5. JohnMK

JohnMK Warlord

Good work. One suggestion I might make is to beautify the shape of England, though. But I digress. Thank you for what you have done, first and foremost.

6. interwurm

interwurm Chieftain

First off, great map. I don't see europe being crowded as a problem. It's actually one of the easiest starting locations in my opinion (I started as Rome). The reason is that you can immediately forego the production of workers and settlers, and focus only on warriors. When you have around 8, go and trash your nearest rival. This is easiest as Rome, because you can power to praetorians, which lasted me well into 1000 AD. I expanded so far that I had to slow my tech to a crawl.

One thing that bothered me was that when I played as the Egyptians, the closest supply of horses was in arabia. No problem right, just conquer them? Mecca sits on a hill, and they teched to archers before I got there. There is also no iron or copper nearby, so I had to tech to construction and mass war elephants to take them out. Also, consider enabling permanent alliances.

I have yet to try out the western hemisphere.

7. Xanthra

Xanthra Chieftain

Good one!,great job, I've been playing your map now for a week and have no complaints, actually the game has been the best one for me so far.

Look forward to anyother maps your working on.

Thanks.

8. mayonaise

mayonaise Chieftain

i dont know why people coimplain about europe being crowded... look at it, it is!

9. interwurm

interwurm Chieftain

Tried again as the incans. Their starting location sucks. Big time. First off, if you don't move over, your city contains coastal squares but can't build a lighthouse. Secondly, if you do move over, there isn't enough food to sustain a large city. Then there's the massive amount of jungles in the area. Conquering the barbarian cities causes problems too, massive distance upkeep penalties. So far, I'm in 1810 AD, and I was way behind in score until around 1000 AD, which is when I got machinery I think, and then my worker hordes build wind and watermills all over the place - then I powered to replaceable parts, communism, and electricity, and with electricity and financial trait, those watermills work wonders.

10. interwurm

interwurm Chieftain

I'm gonna clog up this board :p

The game as the incas continues, and I'm at 1874 now. The rivers and wealth boosting resources in South America are a huge boost. I managed to buy the Kremlin, and since the entire continent of south america is producing huge amounts of commerce, I shot way up to future tech by around 1850, avoiding fiber optics so as not to obsolete the kremlin. I have space race victory off. I can basically buy a modern armor in every single one of my cities every turn, and then ship it over to europe/asia/afrika/whereverIamkickingass using airports. I am basically eliminating anyone who is voting for my rival, cyrus.
    So far... France wiped out Germany. China wiped out Egypt. Persia wiped out India. I wiped out America (only after the Aztecs took them off the continent. I just took out their two last islands. Bastards didn't know who they should be voting for.)

Global 'diplomacy' is so much fun.
    I feel like modern day America.

11. CrazyAce

CrazyAce Prince

Man this map does not like it when I right click to move a unit... The darn thing crashes every time, it could be a patch conflict between this map made in an older version...

12. Moltar

Moltar Chieftain

Yo, I know you mentioned that some resources were added for the sake of playability, but I must say, sugar near Berlin!? Otherwise, great map! Thanks for all your hard work!

13. Otterbear

Otterbear Chieftain

I love the work you've done on this map. I was so glad to see that someone finaly created a world map that was larger than a postage stamp.:D My question is Is/Can this map be used as just a map or do I have to play it as a scenario every time. I dont like the aztecs attacking washington before I can found my 3rd city and Ive tried to remove them by editing the map file however Ive never done this before and I must have made some mistake because (my version) crashes everytime I try to play it. :cry: I just deleted the aztec (montezuma) player info and that doesnt do it I guess. I would love to just have the map as a map and let the "chips" fall where they may...is this possible? I have read through this entire thread and I havent seen this issue addressed as far as I can tell...thanks again for the great work.

14. interwurm

interwurm Chieftain

if you don't want the game to have preset starting locations for any player, delete all the data in between all the beginteam endteam and between all the beginplayer endplayer
    That *should* work.

I'm also modifying the map. I love the geography of it, but there are a few things that don't work. Traditional horse cultures like the egyptians and japanese don't have access to horses. The japanese also don't have access to iron, or even copper. So, how exactly do they make samurai? Just like the egyptians, how do they get war chariots? Then, the arabs do get horses, which I think makes historic sense, but it totally defeats the purpose of their UU the camel archer.

15. Otterbear

Otterbear Chieftain

Hey, Thanks Interwurm! It works! :hatsoff: It also allows you to pick the different leaders in civs that have more than one. :thumbsup: Now to figure out how to let the user choose the civs that they would be playing against like in the regular game that would be optimal...and a true map and not a scenario. Incedently can you save this as just a map? Obviously maps can be made for this game as a small (very) selection comes with the game.

16. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

This worked Great, It is my favorite Earth map so far. Europe is fine, more war like=more realistic I wouldn't change it. I would say get rid of the northwest passage though.

Also would you ever consider makeing a smaller map with an enlarged Europe? so that my computer can handle the games past the renisance.

17. CrazyAce

CrazyAce Prince

So am I the only one having the right click to move unit game freeze?

18. Sutego

Sutego Chieftain

looks like a great world map, just curious what computer specs people are running this map with smoothly into the late game?

19. interwurm

interwurm Chieftain

Hehe... well, I am running smoothly till about 1600. My specs are:

AMD 64 X2 4400+ (running real-time on one processor @ 2.21 GHz)
    4MB OCR low latency RAM
    XFX nVidia 7800 GTX
    SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum
    6,111 MB paging file on a partition of its own.

In otherwords... I really don't see why it should be slowing down for me at all. And it irks me!

20. Sutego

Sutego Chieftain

yeah with specs like that the word slow shouldn't be in your vocabulary... guess ill pass on this map... 8(