Easy fix for faulty cheat mode toggle

AGRICOLA

Warlord
Found a simple way to cure the problem of the CHEAT MODE toggle turning itself on when you have done nothing to deserve it. The recommended cure has been to uninstall Civ2, manually delete any remaining files in the Civ2 folder and then reinstall Civ2.

The source of the faulty toggle problem is within file "CIV2" in the Civ2 folder. That's "CIV2" and not "civ2" with Civ icon.

If you are having a problem with the cheat toggle, delete the existing CIV2 file. Then start a new game and save it. If you don't want to keep the save you can delete it. The program will have created a new “clean” CIV2 file. This will fix the existing problem in the game(s) you are playing.

You may want to make a backup copy of the new CIV2. If the cheat toggle problem starts again, replace the CIV2 with a copy of the backup. Alternately you can go through the delete, start new game, save new game process.

This will definitely not fix a red "CHEAT MODE" on the Civilization Score display.

I got it once in MGE when using the cheat menu in Red Front for some reason or other.I was able to make it go away by just toggling it to off and reloading a save.This sounds more official and reliable :goodjob:

just a quick feedback

The file you need to delete is not named "CIV2" but actually "CIV2.DAT", the "civ2" file that you don't wanna touch, is actually "civ2.exe"
OP must still have had his file extension hidden in his file list.

2nd you just need to delete it and nothing more. Don't need to create and save a new game. So really no need to keep a backup when you can just delete it.

The "civ2.dat mostly contains "NUL" bytes.

Civ2.dat contains data about menus and selected options.
When deleted, it defaults everything to original values, like turning on the sound if it was previously disabled etc.
It can be safely deleted to fix the problem with cheat menu.
Also, once you launch the game after deleting it, setup all your desired options and quit, you can make a backup copy of civ2.dat and when the cheat menu problem occurs again, just replace the current file with the backup. That's what I do and it works.

Hi
I know this is a pretty old thread. But I dont seem to have this file. I use a patched version of the game. I think its 540f patch.

@Staked If you're running a recent version of Windows and installed Civ2 beneath C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) then your file is probably being redirected due to Windows virtualization. Look for Civ2.dat beneath C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (or the x86 version).

Note that AppData is typically a hidden folder, so you may need to enable viewing hidden folders in Windows Explorer if you can't see it. Also Civ2.dat may appear as simply "Civ2" if you have "Hide extensions for known file types" turned on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom