Economy.

Aye, it could be WoN, maybe the writer just mixed them up.

The writer speaks of scenarios where units get more advanced without actually getting better, which fits well with WoN, where "hostile takeovers" of companies/cities is only possible in the beginning.

Leon Marrick was way before my time, and Wealth of Nations was one of my last works.
(I also made Rape of Nations, which is the unrelated prequel)

So I guess the answer Ingvar is "nope, not me".

So sad to see a large proportion of the companies I used (i.e. city name list) in that scenario don't even exist anymore.

Advanced Scenario Design dates back to 1997 or something (before MGE and ToT at least). It's still a very good guide, but don't use it as gospel, since a lot of things have changed since then.

You'll probably find all the scenarios referenced in it among the old civ2 downloads at Apolyton:
http://apolyton.net/local_links.php?catid=4
(especially the archives of the First Greek Civ2 Site and Ultimate Civ II Site).

I should have noted the file was made in 1998!

Mercator, the link you posted gives me a message saying that I do not have permission to access "this area".
Apolyton seems hopelessly broken.

Kobayashi, those scenarios are both excellent, WoN perhaps a bit too much so. A few months ago a PBEM was started, but players don't want to take part due to it's massive complexity. Their loss I guess.

Still, I'm curious as to what this scenario it is he's talking about.

Kobayashi, those scenarios are both excellent, WoN perhaps a bit too much so. A few months ago a PBEM was started, but players don't want to take part due to it's massive complexity. Their loss I guess.

Interesting that you mention this. Unlike the new Civ iterations, Civ2 did not really have any type of economic victory options and I had to radically alter the game to make the key strategies:

trade routes
terraforming
espionage
bribery

I have yet to come across any player who claims to have beaten WON, including myself (I have played to the end of course but failed to win). If you have any success on a vs AI game, do let me know.

Thanks Catfish. My english is not so good, what do you mean with not sunk?

Kobayashi, I wonder if WoN is at all geared towards multiplayer games?
Given that humans are generally more capable than the Civ 2 AI, it should be close to impossible for a single human to outplay the other human players to the point of achieving point victory. I guess new objectives should have to be set.

Top Bottom