Editing game speeds

Abraxis

Has anyone found an XML file with all the game speed values in it?

I want to have a 25% or so decrease in building/unit costs in marathon, as I think I'd enjoy it more.

Anyone know where to change that?

Actually I just found it, sorry. If anyone else is curious, it was in...

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo\CIV5GameSpeeds.xml

Line 50 - <ConstructPercent>300</ConstructPercent>

since that's all cleared up, if any of you are tweaking your speeds aswell, and come across something that works well, post it!

Actually I just found it, sorry. If anyone else is curious, it was in...

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo\CIV5GameSpeeds.xml

Line 50 - <ConstructPercent>300</ConstructPercent>

since that's all cleared up, if any of you are tweaking your speeds aswell, and come across something that works well, post it!

Wow, its just like Civ4.

That should be all really. I just got off Civ5 (had to start a new game on epic because marathon build times are unbearable).

Post how lowering the values of some of the percents affect gameplay. Hopefully, the game doesn't become unbalanced because unit costs are, say, quartered and buildings halved. :goodjob:

Edit: Also, if its like Civ4, you can change the values and the changes would be save game-compatible.

Line 55 is <BuildPercent>300</BuildPercent>

Anyone have any idea what that is?

I just tested it and line 50 ConstructPercent is the one for buildings, no idea what build is... it's not worker improvements as that's ImprovementPercent I'm guessing.
.... regardless, I will assume build is for units.

So I changed Build, Construct, and Improvement Percent from 300 to 200 in Marathon, will play for a few hours and post how it went, as I know a lot of people are annoyed with the build times in Marathon.

Also, tested it and changes made do carryover to saved games.

well i haven't even looked but its great to hear its just like civ4. I just may create a mod or two. I didn't make the original, but I did port the REAL EPIC mod up to bts (a game speed mod).

you really shouldn't be changing the original files, if you insist I would at least make backup copies.

sooo, I got to the Medieval age. I totally recommend everyone do this. Cut from 300 to 200, the three build times are so much more reasonable. It's not over the top, and in fact it still feels slower then Civ4, but it doesn't seem to throw any of the systems off balance, and it keeps very good pace with the tech tree.

I also changed culture expansion from 300 to 250, which also seems like a good pace

indeed, the lower the integer value, the quicker it will produce, we already knew this from civ4. If you study all the game speeds for like 5 minutes it will all make sense.

the improvement, and construct build times to me didn't seem bad, only the building production times seemed way to long, but to each his own. ;)

Ok, so when I modify the original file there, the game crashes.

However, I've tried creating a mod based on the (two) mods released already. I edited the .xml file, included the MD5 hash and everything. It shows up and I can activate it, but it doesn't actually affect anything.

Anyone else tried this and got it to work?

you can't make mods until the tools are released basically. The mods that have been released are by people that already have the tools, beta testers or otherwise.

I would be very careful modifying the culture setting. Or you could wind up with a medieval culture winning a culture victory.

MY self was thinking of build time down to 100%, and raising the the culture setting to 400%. Becuase with all the building you can make you really can amp up the culture beyond what the game is design to "win" at.

I have NEVER like the "factory" pacing of any marathon game in any version of civ, but i do prefer longer game that give you a chance to fully explore each era.

Getting back on this, I set the build time, improvement time, unit creation time, etc. to Standard-levels on marathon but increased research costs to 500.

Interesting enough, nothing's really unbalanced. Oh, and I left a few other things at marathon levels (pretty much anything that isn't building stuff).

"you can't make mods until the tools are released basically"

Based on what? Files are files. The fact that I can get the mod to show up and that I can enable it is indicative that external tools might not necessarily be required.

Anyway, I went back and directly modified the game's xml file again and it worked. I must have either put in a bad character somewhere the first time, or perhaps the values I used caused the game to crash. Either way, it's working great now.

thats why i said basically, unless you want to hack the original files, which is fine by me, but I'll wait a week and do it they way they intended us to do.

I'm assuming that the reason we cannot implement our changes is due to this:
<Files>
<File md5="87A47D4AC8330A824A64B4374B18A936">XML/GameInfo/CIV5GameSpeeds.xml</File>​
</Files>
It doesn't seem like we can just make up a md5... :confused:

Line 55 is <BuildPercent>300</BuildPercent>

Anyone have any idea what that is?

I just tested it and line 50 ConstructPercent is the one for buildings, no idea what build is... it's not worker improvements as that's ImprovementPercent I'm guessing.
.... regardless, I will assume build is for units.

I'm going from the Civ4 wiki, but I doubt they've changed anything this basic. If so:

Build: Build tile improvements
Construct: Build buildings
Create: Build projects
Improvement: How fast improvements grow (not yet relevant in C5)
Train: Build units

And a link so you can peruse at your leisure: http://civ4.wikidot.com/xml:civ4gamespeedinfo

I'm assuming that the reason we cannot implement our changes is due to this:
<Files>
<File md5="87A47D4AC8330A824A64B4374B18A936">XML/GameInfo/CIV5GameSpeeds.xml</File>​
</Files>
It doesn't seem like we can just make up a md5... :confused:

you can use a program to calcul the MD5, like http://www.winmd5.com/

Top Bottom