Editing query

Parmenion

Warlord
I've looked in both the play manual and the strategy guide aswell as checking out recent posts and the FAQ page and can find no solution. Please excuse my ignorance but I work in the mainframe side of IT, not the Desktop side, but I am unable to use the editor in any way at all.
I wanted to simply alter a Civ's starting characteristics by using the editor but have found that I cannot do this and affect the entire game. Rather, I have to create a scenario and the changed rules will affect this game only. This is fine (unless there's an easier way) but when I load my scenario I go to the science advisor screen and everything is messed up. There is no logical pathway to the tree (the lines lead nowhere in particular) and the advance boxes themselves are empty. Then I can't exit the screen no matter what, unless I Ctrl/Alt/Del the entire game.
Is this an early problem that has been amended by a patch?

My kingdom for an answer.....

..... oooh, I shouldn't be quoting that pretender to the throne, not even just before his demise - Red Rose forever!

Specifically, what changes did you make in the editor? I've never heard of any changes that summarily foul up the science advisor screen, but perhaps if you list the specific changes that you made, that will help us solve this conundrum for you.

One thing do you have the latest patch. I believe there was a problem like you were describing with the science advisor with the unpatched game and certain changes.

On the other note you brought up you can change the default rules for the game by saving your changes back to civ3mod.bic instead of creating a new bic file.

I wanted to make the Indians Militaristic and Religious instead of Commercial and Religious. Purely for selfish reasons because I like the Indians and wanted to try out what a game with them as Militaristic would be like. Besides, India was composed of dozens of warring states for hundreds of years and they knew their business I'm sure.

PS - I'll try saving to the other file tomorrow when I get home to play. Ta.

Originally posted by Parmenion
I wanted to make the Indians Militaristic and Religious instead of Commercial and Religious. Purely for selfish reasons because I like the Indians and wanted to try out what a game with them as Militaristic would be like. Besides, India was composed of dozens of warring states for hundreds of years and they knew their business I'm sure.

PS - I'll try saving to the other file tomorrow when I get home to play. Ta.

Do you have the 1.17f patch installed?

No, I'm not too keen on changing some of the things that that patch does.
Also it's not my PC, but my flatmates, so I'm reluctant to download stuff from the net, regardless of how reliable a site (no offence to Civfanatics.com).

Why, does this cure the editing problem?

Well, I never had that particular problem pre-patch, but from what I understand (check the 1.17f Read-me for more details), it just might do the trick. At any rate, it can't hurt to try. :king:

Top Bottom