El Dorado = Absolutely Ridiculous

swordspider

Dread Multiplayer
Look, I'll admit it, I love a little edge in the early game from huts and exploring to find natural wonders, but El Dorado is the most unbalanced, unfair thing I have ever seen in Multiplayer, hands down. I knew from the patch it *felt* wrong, but after getting it, I now *know* it is wrong.

6 player pangaea map, and I found El Dorado on turn 11 or 12 while exploring and next thing I know, I get 500:c5gold:. I'm like, wow that is cool (at first) and I buy a worker and then shortly there after a settler once I had the rest of the cash. My worker that I had already cued up pops out soon after and on turn 20 I plop down my second city... and I have 2 workers... and another settler cued up. That is utterly and completely unfair. Naturally, I owned the game from there on out and no one could ever bridge the gap.

Even if you don't find it in the early game it is still ridiculously unfair. Say you find it later when you have spears and warriors or even swords. Here are some perfect reasons why it is unfair: You could upgrade 8 warriors to swordsmen (480), you could buy a horseman and an archer (520), you could buy 3 spearmen (510), etc, etc. It is just WAY TOO MUCH money that early in the game.

The other stupid thing is as a natural wonder, it is completely and utterly random *and* you never know if someone got it or not if you haven't found it. Then when you do find it (if it wasn't you who got the bonus) you feel cheated because someone got 500 gold for basically nothing. If you get it you feel like a cheat, if you don't get it you feel cheated. Clearly something is wrong with it.

It should be knocked down to 100-200 gold, 300 max *or* like the other wonders, you should have to build a city near it to get the bonus. Either way, if an already good player finds it early game, you might as well call it- GG.

Several (me included) have gone pages and pages in other threads about the stupidity of these Wonders. It's like nobody thought anything through, especially the impact on MP. Those rascals!

Hmm, I guess I should look at those XML files to see if the value can be changed from 500 to, well, 0 or anything. AFAIK changing data in XML files does apply to multiplayer games, provided the XML files are identical with other players... I think.

Hmm, I guess I should look at those XML files to see if the value can be changed from 500 to, well, 0 or anything. AFAIK changing data in XML files does apply to multiplayer games, provided the XML files are identical with other players... I think.

Still, the manual synchronization required to do this is beyond what most people in MP would be willing to do. Sure, you might convince your friends to do it, but good luck getting a bunch of people who don't know each other to do it, even if they knew how.

The idea that these blatantly unbalanced changes are a Vanilla addition to the game is frankly offensive to people looking for a generally even, fair game to be generated every time you play MP. Their rarity still means that you will sometimes have games that are rendered over on turn 2 because of this.

Still, the manual synchronization required to do this is beyond what most people in MP would be willing to do. Sure, you might convince your friends to do it, but good luck getting a bunch of people who don't know each other to do it, even if they knew how.

The idea that these blatantly unbalanced changes are a Vanilla addition to the game is frankly offensive to people looking for a generally even, fair game to be generated every time you play MP. Their rarity still means that you will sometimes have games that are rendered over on turn 2 because of this.

You're right. I still have hard time comprehending why to play with strangers a game which can easily last for hours. I've been used to playing Civilization with a group of friends, and this modifying seemed like a natural solution.

Indeed in non-modified multiplayer El Dorado can create a ridiculous power boost. Apparently the patches have been made without giving a single thought about how it'll affect multiplayer. One hopes for a "No Natural Wonders" checkbox.

Top Bottom