[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine Discussion Thread

Does her bonus stack? Will 3 cities each with 6 great works drop nearby enemy loyalty by 18?

I would say yes

The key is how many great works you can pile in. If you focus, and don't have Russia around, it's probably no too hard to get 2 writers and an artist in range of a nearby city, meaning you can give it -7 loyalty per turn without a ton of effort. And if that comes on top of the population pressure, it's a way to reduce the loyalty that nobody else has access to.

Even if you can't flip it, having an automatic +2 or +4 loyalty pressure on everything withing 9 tiles of your civ is still pretty nice. That's enough that it makes everyone think twice about settling nearby, so maybe you have space to settle a little closer.

And if you do pile in the great works, you could get 10 or 12 works around a city easily, which is big. And if you can flip, having the city go to you immediately saves you 5+ turns, which starts putting pressure on the next city down the line. It's tough because she has no bonuses to getting great works, so if you play her with Russia in the game, that's a real pain. But especially if it did count artifacts as well, by mid-game when you have your museums online, she could be a real nuisance to deal with.

This instaflip ability combined with the Intelligence agency (forment unrest) and the right infrastructure (theatre squares) sounds really fun. The more I think on this the more I think I can roll an entire civ fairly easily. If I'm in a golden with monumentality and they're in a dark, the city instaflips and immediately begins to exert golden age loyalty pressure on the surrounding cities. Then send Magnus and faith summon up some builders to chop some population. That can get ugly for the civ in the dark age really fast! Under the right circumstances, you could faith summon a settler, settle an open spot, then chop up some population there as well. That could all happen really quickly...

Edit: Then you could chop up a TS, ampitheatre and art museum in the newly acquired city as well.

Her loyalty mechanics are more impressive than Lautaro's -20 loyalty for defeating an enemy unit near his or her city, fortunately he is able to counter golden age civs with that combat strength bonus

Looks super fun. Not really sure about how to use her ability as England, but playing her with France might just be my first GS game. France is by far my most played Civ already, so happy to see a new leader added.

Although, I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed her ability doesn't do anything for Knights. Seems nothing ties her to the Middle ages at all right now.

Looks super fun. Not really sure about how to use her ability as England, but playing her with France might just be my first GS game. France is by far my most played Civ already, so happy to see a new leader added.

Although, I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed her ability doesn't do anything for Knights. Seems nothing ties her to the Middle ages at all right now.

I think she is more powerful as England as her France is far more defensive with her ability.

But I was also wondering if they would give her a unique Crusader with some slight tweaks, like for France it would be cheaper with higher maintenance costs and then reversed for England.

I've put more thought into the special synergy between CoL and WotW that Ed and Carl tweeted about.

The key to the solution is ask yourself, "What would Carl do?" Or WWCD, for short.

I think Carl is going to make a huge military of Iron and Coal units, declare war on another civ, and target a city that has Great Works in it. Once conquered, the rest of the cities will probably collapse like a house of cards.

Because that's what Carl would do.
Does anyone have an image of Carl? I am thinking a WWCD MEME could be some fun.

Edit: There is always an image of one of his bloodier campaigns.

Her loyalty mechanics are more impressive than Lautaro's -20 loyalty for defeating an enemy unit near his or her city, fortunately he is able to counter golden age civs with that combat strength bonus

Although if Lautaro attacks cities near Eleanor, he could accidently flip them to her pretty quick.

I tend to play a religious game. I'm thinking EoA, France, Divine Spark, aim for Holy Sites and Theater Squares... Backdoor Domination and/or Religious victory all but guaranteed...

...and there is nothing you can do about it, because I'll have ALL the diplomatic favors, everyone will love me, and you'll rack up like over 9000 grievances even looking at me sideways, because everyone will Court of Love me long time.

I kinda wish they had kept England's British Museum ability. Sure, it would have been OP but it would have synergized so well with Eleanor's ability and it would have been super fun to basically flip cities with archaeologists.

Nah I’m glad they got rid of it. Workshop of the world is much better. I couldn’t stand playing England before.

Did anyone catch if she uses any different capital cities?

Did anyone catch if she uses any different capital cities?
The big complaint seemed to be, around page 4+, that she sticks to London/paris and doesnt use eg, poitiers. Lot of people looking to mod that out.

I just wanted to add this for those who think Eleanor, who was ruler of neither France nor England, shouldn't be in the game.

The blue areas here are Aquitaine, her own lands. She inherited them and retained them on her annulment with the King of France. The green areas are those under French rule, while the red areas are those under "English" rule. When she was married to the King of either country, together they held dominion over these lands. From the French aspect, while she never ran the kingdom (at least for a notable amount of time), her own territories make up much of modern day France and are generally considered an aspect of French culture and history. For the English aspect, she did notably run the kingdom, even if not the official ruler, in her husband's place (as well as having notable impact on the continued ruling families in England during and after her life, for better or worse).

Not to mention her role in the culture and diplomacy of her time.

While both France and England have more notable leaders they could have selected, Eleanor is by no means simply a figurehead or pandering attempt to include more female leaders.

(Not that many have complained in this thread, as most here who would protest on these boards made their complaints earlier in time following the leak).

Apparently no but might have been for clarity sake

Whats English Eleanor background?

I believe it is a depiction of Château de Chinon, Henry’s seat of power.

Attachments

• 86F3794C-5329-4D7F-BE91-FF5160A15B92.jpeg
    86F3794C-5329-4D7F-BE91-FF5160A15B92.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 84

I just wanted to add this for those who think Eleanor, who was ruler of neither France nor England, shouldn't be in the game.

The blue areas here are Aquitaine, her own lands. She inherited them and retained them on her annulment with the King of France. The green areas are those under French rule, while the red areas are those under "English" rule. When she was married to the King of either country, together they held dominion over these lands. From the French aspect, while she never ran the kingdom (at least for a notable amount of time), her own territories make up much of modern day France and are generally considered an aspect of French culture and history. For the English aspect, she did notably run the kingdom, even if not the official ruler, in her husband's place (as well as having notable impact on the continued ruling families in England during and after her life, for better or worse).

Not to mention her role in the culture and diplomacy of her time.

While both France and England have more notable leaders they could have selected, Eleanor is by no means simply a figurehead or pandering attempt to include more female leaders.

(Not that many have complained in this thread, as most here who would protest on these boards made their complaints earlier in time following the leak).

Well said.

Speculative I know, but I also think there’s a good chance England and France may get further Alt Leaders in the future, maybe by dlc (just too tempting for a FXS to turn down). So really, if anyone’s not happy with Eleanor, it may well just work out in the wash anyway.

Top Bottom