Elegy of the Sheaim

"That night, while Ybirn and his men were tending to their wounds, and Os-Gabella was contemplating on the location of the second city, which she had decided to call Osstad, another constellation revealed itself upon the sky. Os-Gabella felt a small sting of fear as Junil revealed his presence, but a relief that he had done so in vain. The people of Erebus had yet to discover the Code of Junil, and the Angel's efforts to assist those who worshipped him was in vain, for there was none."

-Elegy of the Sheaim, year 63.

"He who knows how to control a beasts' rage,
he can unleash it on enemies or trap it in a cage,
entertain the people of the carnival faire,
or cause carnage and bloodbath everywhere."

-Unknown poet.

"I have sent off a division to clear the Pristine Pass of the Gargoyles. We need to secure the Carcer Valley to claim whatever resources it holds and leave us with a single front against the ljosalfar and the barbarian tribes. I hope that they will encounter the Gargoyles one by one and thus be able to bring them down without many casualties."

"The Pristine Division marched on towards the towering mountains that were the Pristine Pass. Unfortunately for them, the Gargoyles awaited them."

"They were attacked and half of their squad were killed, but the Gargoyles sustained heavy injuries. Revenging their fallen leader, the division charged one of the group of gargoyles and easily destroyed it."

"After the first group of gargoyles had been vanquished, the other group approached. These were less wounded and took only a few casualties more in bringing down a third group of the Sheaim warriors. Spotting the last flock of Gargoyles further away, the remaining warriors decided to stay put and try and fend off the wounded gargoyles."

-"Elegy of the Sheaim", years 69 and 70.

Ah, so you got the Great Artist and used the great work, so that move was basically to expand your capital's borders and buffer the cultural defense, right? I had totally forgotten about the Great Work's ability to stop disorder.

Those gargoyles seem rather nasty, though. At eight strength, they seem like a LOT to throw at a civilization only capable of producing warriors at that point. Though I think therein might lie one of the reasons I was doing so poorly in my Fall From Heaven game: I may have not been making enough warriors. Do you think I should build a lot of warriors and such for protection against barbarians, other civilizations, and the like?

One of the characteristics of the Fall From Heaven mod is the monstreous barbarians. Early in a normal game, you will not be facing barbarians above strength 3 in BtS. In Fall From Heaven, you will be cutting through hordes of strength 3 units (skeles, warriors, goblins w poison), lots of strength 4 and 5 units (lizards, bears, tigers, griffons) and several stronger and rarer units (Hill Giants, Orthus, Mokka, Gargoyles).

Combine this with the relatively more expensive worker techs (Mining is not always accesible as first tech, Education as well, Hunting and whatnot), that leaves you some time where spitting out a mass of warriors and perhaps even a settler before your first worker is sound advice.

And if you are so lucky as to have an uncareful neighbor, those warriors can be used to rush aswell. FfH has less "security" in the start (normally, AIs have archers that, modified, have over double the strength of an attacking warrior when in a city. In FfH, archers come much later and a warrior defending a city is max 50%+culture stronger than the attacker, barring promotions).

I see, thanks for the advice. I guess my biggest fault in the game lies in treating it too much like a normal Civ game. I'll have to try it out again later.

"With an impressive strength of will and arms, the Sheaim Warriors caught in the Carcer Valley under the gaze of the Pristine Peak fought off the rest of the flock of gargoyles that had killed their brethren. They took great pride in their victory, but they also knew that there were more of the golemlike birds left. They would need assistance to clean out the valley completely."

-"Elegy of the Sheaim", Year 71

"As Ybirn and his small group of scouts reentered the Ljosalfar lands, they were too worried about the walking dead that followed them to notice the very faint tracks that the elves leave in the forest. They were walking into an ambush.

Suddenly, as if the forest itself had decided to spit them out, Ljosalfar warriors appeared at all sides of the party. Realizing they had no hopes of escaping but to kill the stronger and better armed Ljosalfar, Ybirn and his men quickly found their own weapons, and a desperate battle emerged.

Ybirn swung the weapon he had taken from the Barrow what seemed like ages ago. He slew several of the Ljosalfar, as his comrades gradually fell. In the end, he stood himself facing four of the Summer elves. He was exhausted and he knew the elves could move at twice his pace in the forest. Escape was not an option. With a sigh, he lifted the sword, drenched in poison and elven blood, and looked at the elves one last time before throwing himself into a desperate attack. He only faintly registered the new division of elves approaching as he kept slamming the blade into the bodies of every elf that approached, until he was finally brought down."

-"Ybirn the Merciless", Chapter X: "The Death of a Hero"

"As the vile and warlusting Ybirn was brought to the ground by the valiant elves, a far greater danger threatened the world. A danger that would take something else and more than elven warriors to bring down. The Barbarian King, Orthus, had taken up the cause of war once more."

-"Chronicles of the Summer Court", dated years 70-80

"With other concerns and with the souls of the dead still on their minds, Os-Gabella and Amelanchier agreed to a fragile peace treaty. Both of them knew that war would emerge again between their peoples, but they both valued the pause to attend to other issues. Amelanchiers elves had already founded a new city, and Os-Gabellas people were not far behind."

-"Elegy of the Sheaim", Year 76

"Os-Gosym blessed the Settlers as they left Iristad towards the Sucellan valley to the east. Soon, Osstad would be a reality."

-"Elegy of the Sheaim", Year 79

Too bad for Ybirn. We will miss his brutality... let's hope another Sheaim 'hero' will take his place soon!

All I can say is wow! This is the first of these FFH Stories I've ever seen and it's kinda spurring me on to try to create my own...
Your doing a great job at "dragging me in". I knew Ybirn slew his commander in cold blood, yet I still was moved by his death and am saddened by it.
I look foward to your next update! :)

Thank you for the compliments, I will try to squeeze some more updates in (that would require me not playing Multiplayer until 4 am, eventually)

Sorry for letting this game die, but one-turn at a time is a killer. I've started another, more humorous, story, in the FFH forum. Link is in sig. Enjoy!

Top Bottom