Embarked unit questions

Pazyryk

Deity
I can figure these out with some research, but I was hoping someone happened to know off the top of their head to save me the trouble:
  1. Where is the ART_DEF_ specified for the default embarked unit graphic?
  2. IIRC, there is a DLC that changes this. What/where is the xml tag for that? (And is this change purely graphic, or does it have any non-graphic effect?)
  3. Are the "effective unit stats" for an embarked unit hard-coded or set in a table somewhere? (By effective I mean movement, combat strength, etc. as applied when unit is embarked.)
  4. If answer to #3 is set in table, is it possible to make an embarked unit work as a regular combat ship, able to attack?
  5. If answer to #3 is hard-coded, does the dll set "effective stats" for embarked units in one place (easy to mod)? Or did they scatter it willy nilly in all 20 methods involving unit combat and movement?

Obviously, the point of all these questions is so that I can mod embarkation to work differently, for some specific units. What I had in mind was something like a Vikings unit that would embark as a melee-capable ship. But I'd have to be able to control individual unit stats when embarked to do that.

1) Hard-coded (in CvPlayer)
Code:
// Special handling for the Polynesian trait's overriding of embarked unit graphics
if(m_pTraits->IsEmbarkedAllWater())
{
  SetEmbarkedGraphicOverride("ART_DEF_UNIT_U_POLYNESIAN_WAR_CANOE");
}
else if(m_pTraits->IsEmbarkedToLandFlatCost())
{
  SetEmbarkedGraphicOverride("ART_DEF_UNIT_U_DANISH_LONGBOAT");
}
but can also be set from Lua via pPlayer:SetEmbarkedGraphicOverride()

2) Polynesia, Denmark and the Treasure Ship in the Spain/Inca scenario - purely graphical

3) Defines.EMBARKED_UNIT_MOVEMENT and Eras.EmbarkedUnitDefense

4) probably not as it's only the movement rate and defense that are set, ie, it's not a regular unit

I hope this is to fix the fact that in Éa all embarked units are on modern ships... how would I make a new embarked graphic and then use it as the embarked graphic for a new unit? Would that require a DLL mod?

I hope this is to fix the fact that in Éa all embarked units are on modern ships... how would I make a new embarked graphic and then use it as the embarked graphic for a new unit? Would that require a DLL mod?
whoward69 didn't quite answer #1, or at least what's in the code block is really about question #2. It has to change somehow in base Civ5 given that it does change in the game (with era?), but it may indeed be hard-coded (which is not a problem for me, just tells me where I need to mod). But Éa is permanently in Ancient Era so it isn't a simple hook up to era.

So yes, I'm trying to fix that. But I'm also looking at implementing Sea Warrior. This GP needs to embark as a combat-capable ship. Can't do that directly apparenlty. But can do it indirectly with a unit swap (which we do all the time in the mod).

1. Where is the ART_DEF_ specified for the default embarked unit graphic?
anc: ART_DEF_UNIT_GALLEY (not to be confused with ART_DEF_UNIT_BARBARIAN_GALLEY)
med: ART_DEF_UNIT_GALLEON
mod: ART_DEF_UNIT_TRANSPORT

[i.e., just change the model rather than the ART_DEF entry]

Hate to bring an old thread back to life, but I am trying to keep my medieval scenario medievally flavored by eliminating modern embarked graphics that keep on creeping in...

Would this sql do it?

Code:
UPDATE UnitMemberArtInfo
SET Granny = Galley.fxsxml
WHERE Type = ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_GALLEON

UPDATE UnitMemberArtInfo
SET Granny = Galley.fxsxml
WHERE Type = ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_TRANSPORT

Looks like you're looking at the XML from the .fpk files as there is no table called UnitMemberArtInfo. You'll need to look at the extracted unit art info files (see here) - I'm guessing you mean ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos and column Model

Thank-you... I had previously downloaded your files, but not the orphans.

The entries I used were not extracted from the fpk by me, but were found within the Units folder directly within the expansion 1 or 2 folders, I think.

Having referenced your files, I think the following will accomplish what I want. I do not think I need to adjust the art from Galleon as I don't believe it is used except for Spanish (correct me if I'm wrong).

Here is the new code I am using...

Code:
UPDATE ArtDefine_UnitInfoMemberInfos
SET UnitMemberInfoType = ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_GALLEY
WHERE UnitInfoType = ART_DEF_UNIT_TRANSPORT

UPDATE ArtDefine_StrategicView
SET Asset = SV_Galley.dds
WHERE StrategicViewType = ART_DEF_UNIT_TRANSPORT

Thanks again for the help. Hope this one's right :).

I do not think I need to adjust the art from Galleon as I don't believe it is used except for Spanish (correct me if I'm wrong).
Sorry, you're wrong. There are 3 embarked models (as mentioned in #5 above), not counting the Danish and Polynesian, and the galleon is the middle era one. The Spanish galleon for the New World scenario is a different unit [treasure ship] with a different model.

Note (as mentioned in #2 above) you can also use Lua to change embarked art defines.

Does this lua set embarked graphics (longboat for 4 civilizations and the rest get galley)? And does it ignore era changes?

Code:
function PlayerEmbark(iPlayer)

local pPlayer = Players[iPlayer]

if (GameInfo.Civilizations.CIVILIZATION_DENMARK.ID == pPlayer:GetCivilizationType()) or
	(GameInfo.Civilizations.CIVILIZATION_CARTHAGE.ID == pPlayer:GetCivilizationType()) or 
	(GameInfo.Civilizations.CIVILIZATION_INDIA.ID == pPlayer:GetCivilizationType()) or 
	(GameInfo.Civilizations.CIVILIZATION_SWEDEN.ID == pPlayer:GetCivilizationType()) then

pPlayer:SetEmbarkedGraphicOverride("ART_DEF_UNIT_U_DANISH_LONGBOAT")	

else

pPlayer:SetEmbarkedGraphicOverride("ART_DEF_UNIT_GALLEY")

end	
end

Thank-you.

Top Bottom