emperor help

Thanks for the tip, Moonsinger! Looking forward to your GOTM game... Thanks to the others too.. :) Anyways, just won(domination) my second game.. played on a tiny map as the Iroqious. I learned many things from that game, things like: the importance of expanding fast, and making contacts to other civs(through scouts/warriors) ASAP.. In my previous games, i didnt bother in sending warriors to look in the map.. i always wait for the AIs to find me.. Well, it was really easy to win that game since I had Mounted Warriors and it was a tiny pangaea map.. gonna try anew game with the same settings as the current GOTM.. thanks again! :D

StavrosMelb said:
Later on when you get the Republic, steam power and nationalism; I always try to get to these ASAP. Republic is a good government no matter what mood you're in, WW is low, corruption isn't too bad and military upkeep is cheaper than Democracy (I'm fairly sure it is?).

No.... Republic you pay 2gpt for unit support vs 1gpt in democ.... but you do get some free unit support from your cities where you get none from democ.

Quick Q for all you Emperor+ players out there.... What are the first 5-10 things you build in the start of the game to get growing first? I normally start with
war-war-work-grain(if pottery else settler)- then more settlers.... usually my second town becomes a settler/archer pump depending on the distance to the nearest civ and if they have any bonus food in border....

I'm trying to hone my first 20-40 turns to help give me a better advantage to catch up to the AIs....

First up for me is always a warrior for exploration. (Though if you're expansionist then maybe you won't need to build one.) I try to build a Barracks as soon as possible (not necessarily straight after the warrior if I've got bad production), and after that I churn out a Spearman or two (because I already have Bronze Working, being Scientific) and sometimes build a Granary (depends on my start location, ie whether it'll be a good settler factory, as to whether or not I build the Granary). Then I just do a mix of Settlers/Spearmen for the rest of the first ten build items (common sense dictates which unit you should build - if your city is pop 2 and a Settler would be ready before it grows to pop 3, then build a Spearman).

The beauty of building stuff in this order is that you have a small but sturdy military force of 2 defence, 4 HP Spearmen to guard your cities by the end of the first 40 or so turns, which is a REAL help for Emperor+ level. ;)

Top Bottom