Please Help Me With My First Attempt at Emperor

Background: I'm a lot worse at Civ III than justanick, Lanzelot, or Spoonwood, who are all top-flight players. I can usually win at Emperor, though; I think a fair amount of the difference is I'm less dedicated to playing optimally, and thus am not going to be winning on Deity outside of edge case maps (an optimal tiny island start, for example), and will have a rough time of it if I try Demigod. You could also say that I don't have the patience to micro-manage enough to win at those upper difficulty levels.

If you do everything that justanick, Lanzelot, and Spoonwood suggest, you'll soon be blowing Deity out of the water - but there are a lot of things that can be suggested. If you only do what I suggest, you won't be taking top spots on the CivFanatics Civ III Hall of Fame, but you can likely win on Emperor.

That said, here's what I see:

- You seem to have fallen into the "expense minimization" trap. 90% science, and the only things you are paying for are a barracks and granary at Thebes, a very new temple at Lisht, and a barracks at Byblos. There's nothing wrong with producing warriors for military police without barracks, but right now there are 10 cities building War Chariots of which only two have Barracks, and none producing Barracks. That extra hitpoint is worth its weight in gold. Ideally, all of your offensive units will be produced from Barracks, but if you get into an unplanned war early, you should still try to get Barracks in all of your major military-producing cities as soon as possible.

- More workers and non-automated workers. You have 50% as many workers as cities; I generally aim for 100% or more workers per city. The amount of tiles improved per city isn't bad, but the automated workers are doing silly things like irrigating grasslands without cows under despotism. Especially with the keyboard shortcuts ('i' for irrigate, the NumPad to move, 'r' for road), I find worker assignment to almost be on autopilot a lot of the time.

- Diplomacy. Zululand is pretty much optimal for opposing Egypt and its War Chariots, with its 2 movement points, the Impi prevents the War Chariot from retreating if it is losing, negating its main advantage over the Archer. Plus Zululand is powerful. Getting the Hittites to take half the load off your shoulders would make it much easier. Indeed, good use of alliances is increasingly important on higher difficulties.

Of course many of the other items mentioned would help as well, but if I had to choose just three, that's what they would be. Curragh exploration for more trading, yeah, it's a good idea, but even against Zululand a War Chariot offensive should be possible, especially if Zululand has two fronts. The Republic slingshot, it's optimal, but Monarchy is perfectly viable on Emperor, and even Despotism can work out (until 90 BC, not necessarily 2050 AD) in the "swarm of many cheap units" approach that the War Chariot lends itself to. Not saying it's better, as it isn't, but I've had a delightful time re-discovering Despotism in recent years, and finding that it's not a defeat sentence to stick with it for a while so long as your strategy is making use of its unit support limit, and isn't too reliant on tiles with 3 yield (irrigated grasslands, mined hills, etc.).

I'll admit that I like early-unique-unit civs on Emperor, despite often starting a Despotism Golden Age. Gauls, Iroquois, Egyptians, Romans, Babylonians. As a less optimal player, the tough hurdle to clear on Emperor/Demigod for me is winning that first war; once I've absorbed half of another empire's land, I tend to be competitive. And an early unique unit helps with that. Thus I'd probably favor sticking with one of those civs until you get your first Emperor victory, and once that's accomplished, you could switch to China or Arabia and aim for a Republic slingshot and Riders/Ansars, and see how that can supercharge things. But for a first victory, I think the early unique unit makes it easier, even if the score isn't as high in the end.

Last edited:
Lanzelot:

"Try a search in this forum, I know that a project like this has already been completed like 15 years ago (but can't remember where I read it, perhaps in the "Creation & Customization" forum?!)"

Will search, thank you! Something like that is very much needed.

As for Einstein, he's a bit of a tragic figure, and an intellectual nomad. Much like Haber, he was brilliant but could not remain in Germany because of the bad political climate. He should be a leader for both, IMO.

As for the rest, extensive posts but thanks for the tips. I'll reply in detail later.

Even if I decided not to continue this Egypt game, the sort of experience and advice is priceless. I'm going to garner all of this for my next Emperor attempts, to attempt to win at this level.

Deity is another matter and I'll leave it for much later, lol, of course.

Last edited:
Indeed I managed to reach Philosophy in 950 BC (which is actually quite close to the 1000 BC I predicted in my previous post), selected Republic and expected to revolt right that interturn... --- but nothing happened!! No free tech! Someone on the other continent must have popped Philosophy from a hut!? I can't remember ever missing the slingshot in an Emperor game with a start location as good as this one!
Playing a large map with only 7 opponents increases the chances for such an occurance. There are more huts to open but also tech costs are higher, which means more time to open them.

- You seem to have fallen into the "expense minimization" trap. 90% science, and the only things you are paying for are a barracks and granary at Thebes, a very new temple at Lisht, and a barracks at Byblos. There's nothing wrong with producing warriors for military police without barracks, but right now there are 10 cities building War Chariots of which only two have Barracks, and none producing Barracks. That extra hitpoint is worth its weight in gold. Ideally, all of your offensive units will be produced from Barracks, but if you get into an unplanned war early, you should still try to get Barracks in all of your major military-producing cities as soon as possible.
I like to disagree. Committing to a very early war is major mistake. But if we take this commitment as a given, then building regular units instead of waiting for barracks seems like a sound decision.

During despotism units support is no worry, but the 1 gp for barracks are not easy to justify, yet. Once you are a republic it is the other way around. Unit support is a big worry, and the 1 gtp for baracks pale in comparison. So completing the first barracks in the last turns of despotism can be a sound strategy, at least if you leave despotism early.

But if we take this commitment as a given, then building regular units instead of waiting for barracks seems like a sound decision.
Yes indeed. However, there is one major drawback, which you need to be aware of: as we know, an MGL is priceless, in a military game to form a powerful Army, and in a builder game for an early Forbidden Palace. But when you fight an entire war with only regular units, you need much more (victorious) fights, before the units are elite, and consequently much more fights, before you spawn the first MGL! The increased chances of getting an MGL could easily be worth more than what you safe in time and money by skipping the barracks.

For that reason, I like to first get barracks up, before starting the preparations for an early war. (An early war is not always a mistake. Sometimes it can be the right decision, but admittedly only in exceptional situations.) I do use the regular MP warriors for an early war, I think it is better than disbanding them, as it adds quite some punch to that first strike, but other than that, I aim at using only veterans. The exception is of course, if you are hit by a surprise attack and are fighting for your bare survival... Then there is no time for the "luxury" of first building barracks, you need the units now, or you die...

Hoping for an MGL is also a serios argument for waiting till the proper time for a war has come. Ideally you want to wait at least till feudalism, so that your units promoted to elite are not outdated soon and that units joining the army are not outdated soon either. If there is reasonable way to delay a possible early war, then use it.

Try a search in this forum, I know that a project like this has already been completed like 15 years ago (but can't remember where I read it, perhaps in the "Creation & Customization" forum?!)

Anyway, several people from all over the planet have assembled a historically correct name list for all 32 nations in Civ3, which can be imported into the standard game (or in some mod?!) This list not only contains city names, but also names for scientific & military great leaders, which for some nations are also quite wrong, for example the MGL names for Germany include "Hengest" and "Horsa", which no one in Germany has ever heard of and which in fact are persons from Celtic/Britannic mythology I think... Einstein is listed as an SGL for the US instead of for Germany, even though he was German at the time of his famous discoveries and lived in the US only "after his retirement". (Born 1879, major publications 1905-19, Nobel Prize 1922, emigrated to the US in 1934, got US citizenship in 1940 (age 61), died in 1955. Can't really see the reason, why he should be in the US list of Scientific Great Leaders...?!)

Hello @Lanzelot,

I couldn' find this mod. Made a deep search of the Civ3 creation and customization. Nothing.

Could you pinpoint or give an exact link please?

Also it's annoying because the city list is this game is really that bad, I mean, I was used with playing EU4, CK2 and EB mod for M2TW, when I come back surely Civ3 is great and cool but some city names are terrible, I mean, "Edrine" for "Edirne", the German city names, and so on. lol

Hello @Lanzelot,

I couldn' find this mod. Made a deep search of the Civ3 creation and customization. Nothing.

Could you pinpoint or give an exact link please?

Also it's annoying because the city list is this game is really that bad, I mean, I was used with playing EU4, CK2 and EB mod for M2TW, when I come back surely Civ3 is great and cool but some city names are terrible, I mean, "Edrine" for "Edirne", the German city names, and so on. lol
You can change them in the editor

Found no modded .biqs which were made solely to revise the default Civ3 city-names, but did locate multiple threads with expanded lists. These ones seem like they might be good places to start:

Top Bottom