1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Empire of the Rising Sun - ToTTP/LUA Remake Official Thread

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Patine, Dec 28, 2019.

1. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Still only one Brit Imperial troop, even though the UK ruled a quarter of the globe at this point? Also the USA is under represented.
    But we get tribal rifles and other obscure soldiery? I think you are adding what looks cool, rather than the historical reality...

But, it is your scenario, and I am only an onlooker making a comment. So go for it.

2. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

Some of the points I posted earlier still apply:

'The US army trooper has ETO uniform rather than green denims (I'd replace him with N13 in the US WW2 compilation I posted)'

The 'Russian' is the same US trooper pic

That's a really old Japanese Type 4 tank drawing. I've posted much more recent one in the WW2 Japanese unit compilation

The truck pic is ancient - from MGE days. I have posted a multitude of Japanese, British, Russian etc trucks. Take your pick.

No Ki-84, B5N, D4Y, G4M or Ki-51? But you have far less made / used aircraft like the Ki-100..

Not sure why you've extended the cockpit all the way back on the B10 bomber

Picking up on Curt's point, I'd cover the important vehicle and troop types first and have the remaining slots used for the obscure stuff

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  3. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

Hopefully this will help a bit. Top row are all US Army in the Pacific, with the two dudes in khaki being very early War, and the green chappies being 1942 onwards. The next row has a choice of Soviets plus Dutch East Indies colonial uniform - they retained this uniform after the loss of the Netherlands to Germany and didn't adopt British uniforms unlike the exiled Dutch in the UK. Lastly a Netherlands E Indies B10.

fairline pacific bits n bobs.png

4. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Carefully considering the scope & objectives of a scenario is THE most important part of designing a scenario. Several times, I've made the mistake of picking a map or timeframe that was far too ambitious & the project became a nightmare, in terms of the work involved. For example, the overly ambitious timeframe for Aeterna Civitas III or the HUGE map for Yugoslav Partisans. Balkan Wars was a mess from the beginning & never really got completed satisfactorily.

Contrast that with what I'd consider 'my' two most successful scenarios: The Spanish Civil War & the Korean War Redux

Both had a clear geographical focus, clear objectives & an easily identifiable timeframe. Having these well-considered parameters in place before starting development made a huge difference. I knew from the start where the finish line would be & could focus on what needed to be done to get me there. The more open-ended the scenario, the more distant & vague that finishing line will be.

What about this for a plan?

Pick a more limited timeframe & area & focus on a specific campaign. Once that is working you can open it out to a part 2 with a broader scope. That way you're still working towards the ultimate grand scenario but you can do so via the smaller stepping stone campaigns before bringing them all together at the end. With the experience from each element, you can choose which parts to incorporate into the grand campaign, what worked & what didn't, which units were key & which could be left out.

I would also carefully consider the ability of the AI & the realistic ability of events to assist them. To build a scenario with fall & rise is far harder to achieve than a rise & fall IMHO. For example, in Red Front, SCW, Korea, Burma etc... the AI starts off with a huge offensive & it is the players goal to halt it & build up enough strength to counter-attack. I can see how in a rise & fall scenario with a human Japanese player the early part would be relatively simple to set up but how will you go about replicating the massive US counter-push to try & retake the Pacific?

I'm not for a moment saying that it can't be done but it won't be easy. By building it up step by step I think you could work out the challenges in isolation & then work out how to piece them all together into the main event.

Just my thoughts. Please feel free to disregard :)

5. Patine

Patine Deity

The uniform thing was confusing me. Thank-you for the separate file. I must've missed the Type 4, or maybe it was added in one of your "a few tanks and updates," I somehow forgot to download, because it was late at night, early in the morning, or some such. As for the "Russian guy in a U.S. uniform," as I had mentioned in my original units.bmp file, he's not Soviet at all. He's meant to a Filipino Scout unit, the ones who conducted a guerilla warfare against the Japanese occupation of the Philippines. Their symbol was a red shield with a yellow-bull's head. I just figured that Soviet shield would be easiest to build from, just by adding a few yellow pixels, here and there. And, the Filipino Scouts were completely kitted and armed by the U.S. Army. Japanese Aircraft can certainly be re-evaluated in another go over. I don't recall changing that B10 Bomber at all. As I recall, that's how it was copied and pasted from a @Tanelorn compilation. And I will have a look at your trucks.

My viewpoint of infantry in scenarios may be a bit antiquated - that is, they do garrison and defensive work while artillery, tanks/cavalry, bombers, paratroops, and marines are the main offensive, unless they're "special infantry." Since I haven't seriously take on a scenario for a while, I think you're right, that this viewpoint may be need a bit a re-evaluation.

@McMonkey Objectives and scope are indeed quite important, and definitely a free-form, "you are the commander, the battlefield is yours, victory is yours to win by whatever means, or defeat is on your head," type of scenario is probably not going to work, and wasn't quite what I had in mind.

Again, thank you all greatly for this advice. I'll see can be made fully of it. :)

6. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

It is towards the end of the page, a late production WH-3 variant. The Dutch used Martin 139 WH-1, 2 and 3. Makes no difference either way, but imho Fairline's looks better, ofcourse.
    http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/b/195/92/0

7. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I think one of your biggest challenges will be making the scenario enjoyable to lose. Can a desperate fight to the end make for a good time, or will people simply restart?

8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Creating Overlords, which is a sandbox WW2 global scenario is quite complex enough for me, and I have a few years of scenarios under my belt.
    I would echo @McMonkey, in that it is best to look at one campaign, or theatre, and focus on it, then see how it goes. A lot of planning goes into any
    good scenario, and making text files for Technolgies, Units, Improvements and then Events is what I always do...And even then I miss things. :)

Basically, work on a smaller, yet solid scenario before going for the all-encompassing magnum opus.

9. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

Understand about your Phillippine Scout. He should be wearing khaki uniform with british type steel helmet (on the right of those units I posted above, labelled '1941'.