Enabling world builder in hotseat games / playing as all nations in single player?

Kaede11

Chieftain
TLDR: I need to play as all nations and have world builder enabled

So I can't find anything in previous posts and I've also asked in reddit to see if it was an option. Let's see if anybody here can help me.

I am starting a custom "created" game with some friends of mine and we want to use civ 4 as a "engine" to run it. Basically we are going to play a game based on CIV 4 mechanics with a GM (me). It's basically going to be like a role playing game where they are actually rulers of a nation. I'll use civ 4 rules for almost everything but I need to be able to control more than one nation in game to do actually do what they want to do.

So if player 1 wants to "explore north-west" I'll use his units to explore northwest and then explain what he discovers there. After that I'll change to player 2 and do whatever he wants to do, etc...

It's gonna be more of a RPG - strategy experience based on CIV 4.

I think I could "easily" do this with a hotseat mode, but I would love to play the game with the Rise of Mankind Mod (Maybe Caveman2Cosmos but I've read some bad things about performance while playing it and maybe it's too much for this kind of game) and I would like to have acces to the world builder or other events just to be have a safety net in case I need to "change" something while the game is going as a GM... maybe controlling one of the NPC nations if they go independent or maybe controlling a disaster or whatever. I just want to retain some control over the world, particularly NPC nations are intimidating because they could break the game since they wouldn't work by my "Out of CIV" rules.

I'm posting this into de Caveman2Cosmos mod forum because maybe this game adds some way to do what I intend to do, but I'm also scared about it being too much to create this "parallel" civ game. I'm also scared about finding unwantend crashes or having the save file corrupted... I never played C2C before and I don't know if it's stable or not. Maybe I should go back to something less ambitious like Rise of Mankind or A new dawn?

Any help is gonna be welcome. Thanks!!

You can worldbuilder out a scenario and then use a hotseat game.

You'll also find C2C is a great deal more stable than any of the mods you mentioned. We've had a lot of work done on the game engine here.

I’m afraid this would not solve my problem.

I’m basically mastering a game and acting as a referee and storyteller. People are going to tell me their in game moves via private messages and I’ll translate those messages into gameplay.

I need to be able to control all nations in case some countries decide to declare independence or something like that. I basically need a way to have some control over the world as a “god” in case something weird happens or I want to spawn anew civilization. Or maybe help a struggling AI nation.

I don’t know if I’m explaining myself.

You could do test run on vanilla civ 4, or on realism invictus or rhye's and fall mods.

1000 turns would be A LOT for hotseat, and this is fastest playable speed.
This is around tech per turn

Someone tried to do something like that, and gave up in Prehistoric era due to bugs back then.

I’m afraid this would not solve my problem.

I’m basically mastering a game and acting as a referee and storyteller. People are going to tell me their in game moves via private messages and I’ll translate those messages into gameplay.

I need to be able to control all nations in case some countries decide to declare independence or something like that. I basically need a way to have some control over the world as a “god” in case something weird happens or I want to spawn anew civilization. Or maybe help a struggling AI nation.

I don’t know if I’m explaining myself.
Not sure where hotseat doesn't answer to this. Set all players as human. I'm not sure if WB works on hotseat games or not so you might be able to use a single player game along with the hotkeys to change civs, though I don't know how those work myself.

You could do test run on vanilla civ 4, or on realism invictus or rhye's and fall mods.

1000 turns would be A LOT for hotseat, and this is fastest playable speed.
This is around tech per turn

Someone tried to do something like that, and gave up in Prehistoric era due to bugs back then.

I think I would go for Rise of Mankind if C2C and AND are too much for this kind of game. I really want the different civics the mods provide

Not sure where hotseat doesn't answer to this. Set all players as human. I'm not sure if WB works on hotseat games or not so you might be able to use a single player game along with the hotkeys to change civs, though I don't know how those work myself.

Basically because I won't be "exactly" playing civilization. I'm gonna use the game as a system. What I mean is that I could make use of the hotseat feature and just play, but by doing this I have to give up control over the "god" capacities like creating a new civilization if I want to or helping an AI if it's struggling because they cannot manage some mod features.. I've read somewhere else they don't work well with revolutions and I really want new countries to appear because of independence and the like.

Plus, if a player gets destroyed I want to retain the capacity to put them in the game again as another power if I want to, etc...

The idea of cycling between players via de cheat mode + cntrl Z could work, but I've read somewhere else that when you stop controlling a nation, the AI modifies their investments even if they don't move... If I could at least avoid that, the problem would be solved.

I think WB is disabled in hotseat as it is probably considered multiplayer. It should work though with a minor edit to the code to remove that check for multiplayer in CvGameInterface.cpp, search for CONTROL_WORLD_BUILDER.

I will have to try that.
Thanky ou AIAndy

I've seen that AND includes a change civilization option. Maybe that would work?

couldn't you accomplish what you want by just changing things in a Scenario Editor, not sure how that'd work, but that way you could play god to the world, Wouldn't the Civ Tabletop be more suited? I Know it's about as old as I am but it might suit what you're intending

I think WB is disabled in hotseat as it is probably considered multiplayer. It should work though with a minor edit to the code to remove that check for multiplayer in CvGameInterface.cpp, search for CONTROL_WORLD_BUILDER.

Hi AlAndy,

Could you be more specific about this? I've never edited those files, so I don't know what should I change, honestly.

Code:
    case CONTROL_WORLD_BUILDER:
        if (GC.getInitCore().getAdminPassword().empty())
        {
            gDLL->getInterfaceIFace()->setWorldBuilder(!(gDLL->GetWorldBuilderMode()));
        }
        else
        {
            CvPopupInfo* pInfo = new CvPopupInfo(BUTTONPOPUP_ADMIN_PASSWORD);
            if (NULL != pInfo)
            {
                pInfo->setData1((int)CONTROL_WORLD_BUILDER);
                gDLL->getInterfaceIFace()->addPopup(pInfo, NO_PLAYER, true);
            }
        }
        break;
Have you tried at all yet? Looks like you just need a password if one exists.

Edit: err... uh I don't really know what's goin on actually but gDLL->getInterfaceIFace()->setWorldBuilder(!(gDLL->GetWorldBuilderMode())); is the important line. If you wanna try somthin, I'd just leave that line and the break; below the case.

Last edited:
Nope it didn't work. Thanks for the help though ;)

I obviously tried, but the button doesn't show in the menu when you start a multiplayer game so...

By the way, I'm trying to edit the base beyond the sword file. That might be the problem, but I can't find the .cpp in the AND folder

Last edited:
By the way, I'm trying to edit the base beyond the sword file. That might be the problem, but I can't find the .cpp in the AND folder
Never mod the bts folder! It's setup to be overridden by modded files and if you go directly to those, you'll potentially need to reinstall to get back what was broken. Further, this is not AND. I don't think AND shares the sourcecodes in its standard install.

Uhm, I could not find the CvGameInterface.cpp file in the AND folder, so I thought it was looking for it in the beyond the sword one.
Anyway, I realised I should compile whatever changes I make and I have no idea on how to do that.
It seems way harder than I thought it would be, but if someone knows about how to do this, please tell me!

Yeah it's a bit complex and if you're trying to do it with AND, I'm not sure quite where to send you to ask, but I'd maybe try their forum. This is C2C.

If you want, drop that into your c2c folder -> sources. I think it will automatically compile when you start the mod if a file(s) is changed. You'll probly need to run "dev setup" first.

If you try all that and it doesn't work and your not ready to give up, let me know. I'll give you another file.

No clue what exact version that file is btw. Somethin recent...
Also remember to removed the .txt from the end of the file name.

Attachments

• CvGameInterface.cpp.txt
    100.7 KB · Views: 131
Honestly, I'm starting to feel dumb... I can't find "sources" in my c2c folder... and I cannot find dev setup either :crazyeye:
I tried creating the folder myself but it obviously did not work.

Attachments

• c2c.PNG
    c2c.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 193
ha, I'm pretty sure you'll sort things out if you keep trying.
That last file I posted wouldn't have worked anyways.
Here's new one.

Attachments

• CvGameInterface.cpp.txt
    100.7 KB · Views: 129
Here's a python file you can try. No need to compile, just drop in python folder and overwrite. Ctrl + Alt + Shift + W to run the code I added.

Also remember to remove the .txt

Attachments

• CvEventManager.py.txt
    115.9 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom