• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Enhanced Artillery Mod

In response to HBDragon88...
Why would this be? Iron was very important in the ancient ages but it started to become obsolete as aluminum and rubber became harder and lighter than iron tools or armor.

Very simple, really. Steel is an alloy of iron and molybdenum (but mostly iron). They make the ship hulls out of steel, which requires iron ore to manufacture.

This doesn't make sense. The Man-O-war replaces the frigate, so instead of allowing them to upgrade to man-o-wars, frigates should be removed from the build list for England.

The man-o-war is no longer a unique unit for England. I thought they needed a better unique unit, so I gave them the longbowman instead (which makes more sense historically anyway!), and everyone else gets the crossbowman instead of the longbowman. So, I used the man-o-war as an upgrade to the frigate. Since sailing ships are now used for a much longer time period, this seemed to make sense.

Also why won't you provide support and update for the vanilla Civ 3, just PTW?
Play the World makes all these changes much easier for me to implement without causing you, the user a lot of hassle installing the mod and getting it to work properly. I did, however, leave the old version up for anyone who wants it to download and use, and I'll be happy to answer any questions that anyone has regarding getting that version to work, as well. As far as updates, I'm just one person doing this in my spare time for free and maintaining two separate-yet-equal versions is twice as much work for me so please don't give me a hard time about it. :)

I know you put in a lot of work ;)

Comments:

Army
Removed Zone of Control. I was tempted to add airlift, but somehow couldn't convince myself that you could cram a
whole army into one airplane.

IIRC, whole armies do/i] move on airplanes. Although maybe not a single airplane. But, big helicopters, like the C-5? They can transport thousands of troops in one go.

Nuclear submarines having hidden nationality. Wow. I accidentally did that once and it was catastrophic. A submarine sunk my galleon without warning, and when I approched a sea border, the next turn, six planes rained down the submarine and I retreated it.

This is a very interesting mod and when I understand it, I will play it. And I am sure that I will get a satisfying feeling when I have played it :) from the readme.

Nuclear submarines having hidden nationality. Wow. I accidentally did that once and it was catastrophic. A submarine sunk my galleon without warning, and when I approched a sea border, the next turn, six planes rained down the submarine and I retreated it.

Well, if you mostly play against the AI, it'll work better if you remove the "hidden nationality" flag, because the AI players cheat. That is to say that they always know where your subs are and with that flag set, they head straight for them and try to kill them the moment they leave port. I really wish Firaxis would fix this because it's really irritating.
If you play against other humans though, either online or play-by-email, it's a lot of fun because you can make sneak attacks on you opponents' shipping and spy within their borders if they're not alert, all without starting a war. And with nuclear subs set to hidden nationality, sneak attacks are even more fun: They don't know who's sub it is until you actually launch and by then it's too late. On the other hand, if you're not careful, some alert opponent can sink your expensive nuclear sub packed with you expensive nuclear missiles and there's not a darn thing you can do about it.
:thumbsup:

Cool. So I'll remove that flag.

In another very bad case like the hidden nationality on subs, one time what I accidentally did was to make privateers 10/15/3 for its A/D/M ratings. This made it more powerful than a submarine, which was really unbalancing and had unintending consequences. I didn't know what the hell that meant at that time, and I was seeing Privateers sinking subs in that game...:mad: argh!

I've almost completed the work on version 1.9 of my ArtilleryMod. This version will have a number of new features:
  • A new ancient times naval unit, the Longboat, for commercial civs. It will be available with map making, can travel on sea squares without sinking, has hidden nationality, A/D/M of 2/1/4, and upgrades to the privateer when that becomes available. This should give the commercial civs a real boost, especially on archipelago maps.
  • For the Civ3 edition: a new unit, the Commando, to make the civ3 version closer to the PtW edition. Cavalry will now upgrade to commandos instead of infantry.
  • Two new luxury resources: rare wood and marble.
  • Two new bonus resources: pearls and oases.
  • Four new buildings: War Memorial, Customs Post, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and Federal Tax Bureau.
Right now HBDragon is working on getting the new features implemented in Civ3 and I'm playtesting the PtW version for bugs. These additions will probably be the final major functionality change to the game. Our next update (2.0) will focus on improving game balance problems rather than adding new functionality, but that will take some time, as we need extensive play testing to identify these issues.
If anyone is interested in helping with this process, let me know. I'll be happy to start up a few online games with anyone who's interested in helping me test.

:goodjob:
P.S.: If you're curious, click on the links in my signature to see previews of the new buildings I'm adding.

I have updated the download link in the first post of this thread to point to the new file. This version includes an installer package to ensure that all the files go into the correct places when you install the mod. This should make things easier for everyone.
:D

Top Bottom