Era Advancement

Probably more of a civ 7 idea than 6, also heavily inspired by something I saw in humankind...

I think the game would be better if we advanced to new eras only after completing a certain amount of tasks/quests. Kind of like era score, except you advance to the next era when you hit certain thresholds.

My reasoning for this change is to place less in game importance on generating science and culture.
I envision a system where each era has a large amount of technologies available to be researched, but no requirement on how many you need to research to advance to the next age. You could advance to the classical era with 16 of 20 possible ancient techs or you could advance to the classical era with 4 of 20 possible techs. Once in the classical era, you can research any tech from the classical era.

Kind of related but kind of separately, I would have a sort of catch up mechanism related to this, that would also work to encourage civs to research tech from the later era. I think that on era advancement, a civ should receive any techs from the earlier era that a neighbouring civ has researched. For example
Turn 1: Civ A has 4 ancient techs, Civ B has 16 ancient techs
Turn 2: Civ A advances to the classical era. Civ A gains every tech Civ B researched but Civ A did not (Civ B had 14 techs that Civ A did not). Civ A now has 18 ancient techs, Civ B has 16 ancient techs.
Turn 3: Civ A completes a classical era tech.
Turn 4: Civ B advances to the classical era. Civ B gains the two ancient era techs Civ A had but Civ B did not. Civ A has 18 ancient techs, 1 classical tech. Civ B has 18 ancient techs, 0 classical tech.

Reactions: PiR
Seems a little bit complicated the way you put it in, but why not. But what when more than 2 civs are involved ?

That could also be a unique mechanic for Japan, from after the WWII to the XXIth century, as much as I dislike uniques in terms of design.
But I guess not only Japan had modernization or rather "forced modernization" as it is called in civ6 and a policy card for everyone.

Yeah ! maybe you would need a policy card for what you're saying, and instead of basic mere bonuses, it would give a feature ! At least, that's what i dream of everytime i see policy cards like "Discipline" or "Force Modernization"... policy cards that introduce new mechanics ! That might be in the special slot though, and you do not have a special slot in the first or second type or government. (second if you count chiefdom) You could have one earlier if you build a wonder that would give you a slot (unlock or additionnal ? I would say unlock, otherwise it would be too powerful later)

What other features do you think could be unlocked with policy cards ? About "Discipline", when I first mentionned it on Civfanatics, I though about having an edge over barbarians, but I think now it's too weak. "Discipline" should be a card that gives you supremacy not only on "barbarians" (especially the way they are described in civ games) but also on all your neighbours. Basically, with "Discipline", you should go domination, at least of your neighbourhood. If we mimic the Roman Empire, "Discipline" policy card should give your troops (all of them) +10 combat strenght in tiles within 10 tiles of shallow waters. Should give you siege advantages also, like not suffering from city bombardement and do as if you had a ram or a tower (or both) eventhough you have not. But as we are at it, it might only unlock Legions for any civ that equips that card.

Should special policy cards be unique ? I mean, could there be two civs with Legions and two civs with Modernization in the same time ? May it depend on case ?

Or could we stack any amount of cards of any type, and trade them in the diplo screen ? As if Legions were hired by another country and becoming mercenaries... or maybe you could "share" a card at a price, with lowered effects or not...

Well, I don't know lol.

Top Bottom