1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Escape From Zombie Island 2 ready for public consumption

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by KingArthur, Apr 13, 2004.

1. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

That guy looks great! Maybe you could put a grenade belt on him? Also, for the animations; for fidget, someone had a good idea, for him to take his pills in the fidget. You could just add an orange cylinder coming from his pocket and have him tilt his head back. And for the victory, you could maybe have him shake him index finger at the enemy, have them "whippersnappers learn a lesson".

2. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

Okay, lots of good ideas there.

Giving him slippers should be easy enough, I will just recolor the feet. I will see about turning that fur cape and a T-shirt into a robe, and I will work on my texturing skills to give the pants a stripe. The white of the flashlight lens doesn't seem to show up at civ scale; I will have to look into that too.

Please be patient because I have not made a unit before. I will be doing lots of this: :badcomp:

In the meantime, here is a write up for the civilopedia:

3. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

You made a brain and Spainal Cord unit! I just posted a c'n'p Brain and Spinal cord unit using the Screech tail-thing and Aaglo's chaos attack. Can you post the good one? :D

4. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Iron Beagle... Personally, I like the Tee Shirt because it shows his "figure" as well as seems like more of an indication that he did not bother to dress with more than what he wore to bed. A Robe would probably cover all too much and take away from his Old Man Look. do feel free to experiment though. An Off White Tee Shirt, Slippers and Striped PJ's that are Civ Specific Colored should look good for him at Civ Scale and show that he is an Old Man. Use the Civ Blue Palette for the Civ Specific Colored areas with only those areas colored with Blue to avoid palette difficulties.

He doesn't have to have a Flashlight. Taking some pills by lifting a colored bottle to his mouth and tossing his head back would be a good Fidget. Holding up his Fist or pointing a finger and shaking either one would be a Good Victory.
    You have time without rushing and if I can help you in anyway, let me know.

Lord Malbeth... I have not completed the "Crawlig Brain" yet because when I started working on EFZI2, it was decided that it would not fit. I absolutely will finish it after this work is completed. I only have the Run Finished at this point. I want to make the Brain enlarge and explode with Blood Splattering for the Death and the Attack will be stabbing with the end of the Spine since I cannot have it wrap around a Unit's neck as I would like.
    I Zipped the .gif Run preview and a .bmp image of the Brain and Profile of the Unit if you want to take a look.

Attached Files:

5. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

Well, I tried to make a fidget animation where he takes pills from an orange bottle and pops them in his mouth.

I am reading the tutorial, and I am rather intimidated. The process for making the final flics, once all animation is done, seems very complicated.

But I just might be able to get the hang of making units eventually ... so what other units does this scenario need?

6. Cloner4000

Cloner4000 Call of Duty

I am sure Vuldacon knows how, he's really good when it comes to tech. I guess you can pm him or something like that. But I like your progress.

I can't really help you on this kind of issues since I have absolutely no idea how.

7. fe3333au

fe3333au Chieftain

That looks great Iron Beagle :thumbsup:

:lol: The slippers are soooo cute :love:

8. Vuldacon

Iron Beagle... Looking good :) If you can add more stripes to his PJ's and make them thin stripes, that would look good. The Pants could be made lighter color such as very light tan, almost white and would show the Stripes better. I realize that having the pants look like PJ Bottoms is a Chore.

Warning, Long Post...:lol:
    Also, think of all of the animations as one long flc. Each flc should come from and go to any flc that it starts from or goes to. The Fidgit Flc, comes from and ends with the Default Flc so the last frame of the Default Flc is where the Fidget would start from. This does not mean that you use the exact last frame of the Default (Unless you want a Hesitation) but rather one that would naturally come from it. In this case, he would have to Holster his Gun so he could take out his pills then after taking the pills, he would put the Bottle away and take out his Gun so he would move back toward the First Frame of the Default. Without having a "Transition", each animation would abruptly start and stop, having nothing to do with any other. While each Flc might look Great, if they do not all go together, it could ruin the unit.
    You can open, copy & paste an animation such as the Fidget after the Default animation. Set Key Frames to keep the first and last frames from changing on both animations.
    Skip a few frames and paste the Fidget after the Default animation in Poser. You can then work with the frames Poser will generate between the animations. You can select the best frame and set it as a Key Frame then Move the entire animation over again, leaving more blank Frames. This will allow Poser to help you make transitions as long as you begin with the last Frame of one and have the First Frame of the Other animation start from a Position that would naturally come from the previous animation.
    By Pasting the First Frame of the Default after the Last Frame of the Fidget animation, you will be able to gain a better end frame for the Fidget so it smoothly goes into the Default animation. By setting Key Frames and selecting the best frames and doing all again with some adjustments as you do this, you can go from a totally different animation to another and back.

Most people make animations using the exact first and last frames to insure that each animation goes together but this is not necessary unless a Hesitation is desired. Since these animations play back none stop, if the last frame of one animation is the same as the first of another, that causes the hesitation. Think of the First and Last frames for animations the same as any frame in an animation. Each is different but comes from or goes into another frame...and in this case, another animation. All That said, there are times when you will want a hesitation so you would then use one or more duplicate frames.
    Generally, when making animations, you will have many frames for one animation. You can selectively set Key Frames and remove frames that are not needed to shorten the animation.
    Because of the way CIV Plays animations, the Fortify Flc should be kept Short in regard to the Attack or Attacks. IF a unit has More than one Attack and then has a long Fortify Flc, CIV will shorten all in order to "work them in". This causes sound difficulties. Basically, Keep Fortify Flcs short..10 Frames and no more than 15. You can get away with more IF only one or two short Attacks and they, with the Fortify animation are not collectively extremely long.

I assume you already know what animations come from and go into another? The Death is the Only animation that does not go into another animation so it can end any way you want. Personally, I prefer to actually see the Unit on the Ground with two or three duplicate frames for hesitation at the end. The Death and Victory Both start from the Last Frame of the Attack but the Victory ends toward the first frame of the Default.

As for the Rendering and "process" to make the Flc. There are many different particular little things that people do but basically, all accomplish the same thing. Just like reading this Lengthy post, it all only sounds difficult but that is the nature of trying to write to explain the technical steps of anything. Requires a lot or words to make all clear.
    If you are using Poser, turn off the Work Lights before Rendering. set at 0.

IF you send me a PM with your E-Mail address, I will send you the details about how to handle the rendered images and also how to make a Good Unit Palette. I will help you in any way I can. Far too long to post here now after all this.:)

9. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

I think it should be added in as an attack unit for the Company. (Possbily spawned from the Company-controled Secret Research Center)
    The Company is just evil enough to use it I think. ;)

10. KingArthur

KingArthur Tinkering with biqs

quick update

Vuldacon and I are still working away on this so don't worry. Going through each faction to ensure they are balanced takes time.

The Survivors and Zombies have gone through some very fine tuning and extensive playtesting already. Once we have something that both Vuldacon and I are happy with we will release it again to the playtesters. Hopefully, the work we have put in will mean that the final release will follow shortly after that.

11. fe3333au

fe3333au Chieftain

sounds good ... lot of work going into this one :thumbsup:

12. Vuldacon

Longer Update:Yes, a Great Deal of work is being done on a constant basis. Working out the logistics problems is a chore in some instances such as the Novel SewerRats useing the Sewers (which is actually AirDrop) and also needing an Airfield in function for other units to Airlift. The Other Factions also need Airlift but not the same AirDrop as the SewerRats use. The problem is that the only way the AirDrop and Airlift work is from an Airport no matter how it is named so if the Survivors and other factions gain the needed ability to "Airlift" a special unit early in the game, the SewerRats will be able to "use the sewers" as soon as they are made without building a Sewer Access (which is actually an airport in function). The Techs can be researched differently so if someone researched the City Sewer System as a Survivor, this would only require three techs. If the survivors already has the ability to airlift, the SewerRats would be able to use the sewers without building a Sewer Access. In other words, There is no need to build the same thing that is just named differently.
    ...The Map Decals used for the "Airport" and "Sewer" on the map to indicate if a Sewer Access or Airport has been built is only one small file. I made both a Gold Sewer and a Gold Airplane and then also Combined Both. There is no way to separate a sewer Decal for the Survivors ability to use the Sewers and an Airport for the other factions.
    ...I am totally reworking this situation to allow all to work better for all the factions in all concerns. Many issues need to be worked out and mutually agreed upon by King Arthur and me.

This Thread has been understandably slow lately because everyone is waiting on King Arthur and me to finish the work and upload the results. We are doing the very best we can to complete this and have all play as it should without any problems. The Survivors and Zombies have been adjusted. Working on the Company now and then will adjust the Authorities and Farmers. All will then be looked at for any Final adjustments needed after adjusting each individually.

...I believe you all will really like the new additions and adjustments.
    Flesh Eating Bacteria, Auto Defense System to help against Air and Naval bombardment, Zombies Build all Zombie Dogs without having to capture the Dog Pound, More Zombies and action from the start and that Grows. Zombies will grow to level 2 and 3, Many Special Units have Super Strong stats for Fun Play as well as the Factions being worked out to be able to Win in the way intended but can still try for annihilation type win IF desired. More Pollution and Bombed out Roads to repair, More Shield production, I added "Arthur" who Upgrades to "King Arthur" for the Survivors and he is one Powerful Unit! He is a Sniper, capable of Killing three units each Move at a distance of two squares...BLAM. He is Very Important as the ONLY "Bombard" unit for the survivors. Lawman Randy will also Lethal Bombard (Shoot) one square away, Tanks and Helicopters will have Lethal Bombard, all factions except the Zombies will have the ability to reveal the map with special units for that purpose, All Units are stronger, including the Zombies, Tech Research is being adjusted for all factions, including the Zombies, adding a few new improvements for Zombies and the Other Factions and many other things too numerous to type here. Striving for Fun game play that obtains a Balance from different unbalanced units and game play strategies meant for the Human player to be bel to take advantage of as the AI Zombies are given power by numbers as well as the individual units being stronger with more Hit Points.

The Slowest aspect of this work is testing by playing actual games in order to see directly the results, then adjust and do it all again. This is intended to spare the Testers from having to point out any change that would be obvious as well as our needing to know any unit and game play situation first hand.

There are new units being made to replace some of the units in the game that will be added as they are completed. The New Units will add more quality to the game. I have adjusted and or made sounds for the many reported unit sounds in need of adjustments or additions as well as Re-Colored some units for a better look in the game. Continuing to work on all things and want you all to know that you have not been forgotten, we are just working on the game rather than posting about it lately.

So Please bear with us and know that we are working on everything on a constant basis to complete it as soon as possible. Other than Future additions and any other changes to this game, the next update for you testers will be more final and ready for the Release. It is always best to have things looked at and tested by others to be sure all is well and catch any minor oversight but King Arthur and I will know first hand all factions and game play before you testers play it so we hope the final testing will go faster then.

13. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

This looks fun, I'll download it right now.

14. Vuldacon

Tank_Guy#3... The available Game to download is not this new version that we have made great changes and additions to. Feel free to play the last version in the mean time as we complete this latest version.

15. Tank_Guy#3

Anyway, first game I played as the authorities and lost two "cities" on the first turn, and got tired of being totally owned (a ginormous stack was marching towards each of my remaining cities).

Second game I played the Company. Lost "Sales and whatchamacallit" in the early turns, but I took it back soon after. Drew up a line of defense on the beginning of our little peninsula. Kept about 5 units in the city, and stacks of two surrounding it. Did remarkably well until about midnight. Massive stacks of zombies right outside the city, massacring all the defenders, only the Chief Security guy survived the first wave. Defenses literally started crumbling, brought up some of the robots dudes, they pushed them back slightly, but were also defeated. Only have one city left, zombies closing in. Doesn't look good.

Playing as the zombies currently, also (third game). At about 8 PM on the first day, the game crashes. No pop-ups, no warnings, just the "Would you like to send an error report to Microsoft?" message. Any suggestions?

I know, that is what I meant to do. This is great by the way.

16. fe3333au

fe3333au Chieftain

Speaking of Crashes ... I don't recall having any in the last two updates :thumbsup:

17. Vuldacon

There are no Crashes now in this new verion. I believe the Culprit was the number of Resources and especially their position on the Resource file... it also probably helped to refresh the Bic directly and perhaps a few entries.

Tank_Guy#3...are you Turning Off any other programs so they do not Run in the background when you play? That Error Message sounds like a "Clash" Error is taking place.

18. Tank_Guy#3

Windows Task Manager. No open documents, websites, nothing. And strangely, it only happens when I play as the zombies. Went about 3 more "days" with the Authorities and the Company and not one problem. I'll tinker around with things, see if I can't work it out.

There are other small services (daemons) that are running in background, but I have only run into this problem with this particular scenario. All the other ones I've tried run fine. I can try and reinstall the scenario, probably won't do the trick, but always worth a shot.

19. Cloner4000

Cloner4000 Call of Duty

Well, the crashes are random by nature and doesn't really possess a huge problem, just reload the autosave.

The new update look really intense..hats of to Vuldcon and King Arthur.

20. fe3333au

fe3333au Chieftain

Happy belated Birthday KingArthur :beer: