Ethiopia HG, found a religion, HOW?

RFC BtS Monarch

OK. I tried this a bunch of times last night and here are my conclusions:
1) You cannot prevent the Arabs from spawning in Saudi Arabia. If you block Mecca on the Red Sea, they just spawn and settle near Kuwait. They spawn with Divine Right, so as soon as they settle their first city there goes Islam.
2) If the only achievable religion is Islam the UHV is mistaken anyway. You might as well have the UHV for Rome set so that the only way you can win is for Rome to found Islam. Ethiopia founded Christianity and Islam only made in roads through force, a lot of it.

So that means to me that the solution must be to found Christianity. And if that is not the situation this UHV can be discarded as flawed (but I assume that is not the case as all the other UHVs I have tried are quite good and historical, IMHO)

So focusing on Christianity:
1) You only have about 20 turns before someone else founds it
2) You start with 1sword, 1axe, 2archers, 2workers, 2settlers
3) Egypt has chariots and 20%+ defenses
4) Egypt is building Stonehenge (I think)

So, go for Egypt, take over their cities and wonders. Pump out G.Prophets. Bump Theology. EXCEPT you do not have anywhere near enough time. You need some siege equipment to tackle those Egyptian cities, or you will lose all your military. You cannot possibly research Math, and build a catapult and get it up there in Egypt, and take cities, and get them out of revolt in 20 turns! Let alone generate a GP!

I tried attacking without catapults, but it is futile. I suppose you could get lucky and Impi's could damage some of the Southern Egyptian cities, but even that seems unlikely to help much. I did once manage to run units all the way up to Greece, and got contact with them... but not much help.

I was thinking maybe the key is to trade techs with Babylon and Greece and Egypt ASAP and try to get that to help towards Theology.... but it seems unlikely to me.

I also trained a scout and sent him south looking for villages, hoping for a lucky discovery of Theology or Divine Right. I just got gold, though it helps to keep research at 100%. BTW: there are a lot of animals, but remember the first 3-4 are automatic kills. The problem I had was that I never met an Impi until I had burned through my auto kills. Then the scout died. Still I got 2 villages out of it for about 150gp.

Some more thoughts if you have time:
My thinking is that the Stele must be for something. Tried setting up my second city on the Red Sea (one tile south and east of the fish). Then the natives spawn a city in Yemen (Asan or something?), and it flips to me. Then cover Mecca area with units. Arabs spawn in Kuwait. I got unit next to them where they spawn. They start with Divine Right (I asked to trade and they had it), so 1 turn later they got Islam. There is no way to cover all of the Saudi Peninsula with units, and the Babylonians are no help. (I already tried giving them all my tech, hoping they might do something with it.... but that is just desperation).

Also, I kept saving, and restarting from save points to try different things. And every time I reloaded my game crashed. This never happens on other games. Could there be a bug? (Say I am 10 turns in. Save. Then 10 turns later realize I am going to lose UHV. Click LOAD GAME. Load up the save from 10 turns in. Game crashes. Every time. Only with Ethiopians. I restarted the computer a couple times. Loaded from different saves. Every time.)

+++

Anyway, at this time I am of the opinion that the 1st UHV cannot be met on Monarch. Of course a really lucky start, or finding Theology in a hut somewhere might do it... but that is not the point.

Ryry

It can be done certainly but only with 1 in a million luck and im not certain about the chances of it with the recent patch changes. Im beginning to think I dreamt my earliest (i.e first and only) success at founding. Not that it mattered since i got humped afterwards...

Eitherway the UHV for Ethiopia probably needs changed but as Rhye said no UHV will be changed now so essentially its borked good and proper.

Sooooooo...

Thanks to Ryry posting the above I figured hey why not try it one last time.

Result.

Save below founding Christianity. Monarch.

Note: Turn 135, which means someone owned Jerusalem. Found Aksum, Found the other city by one of the large lakes just down from the swamp and on the river Axe and archer in 1, Sword and Archer in the other. Granary then Library in Aksum then Research. Library in other place. Pasture Cows, Pasture Sheep, Cottage Flood Plain found Christianity. Tell me that wasnt luck and was skill...nah your right it was luck. AGAIN!

Cheers

Corm

OK, I am trying this again tonight (in California, so it is afternoon here) to see if I can copy you. My very first game I did pretty much what you posted. I noticed that game that Egypt fell apart. I did not go straight for Theology though as I was just playing around to figure it out. Since then I always go for the horses or the sea, but maybe not.... I also have done the library everywhere and then buy scientists........but I didn't think of building research (doh!). Mayhap 'tis possible. I'll let you know my results tomorrow.

Ryry

PS: I'll have to look at ur save tonight as well. No BtS at work (if I installed it I would never get anything done)

PSS: Now you gotta survive and meet the other 2 UHVs! But hey, congrats

They spawn with Divine Right, so as soon as they settle their first city there goes Islam.
Before 1.07 that was not true. As Riker reported, it was possible to cheese the Arabian startup so that they spawned without founding it. (I almost got the UHV that way but (a) thought the third condition was in 1900 rather than 1910 and (b) collapsed in 1898 anyway.) That doesn't seem to work any more in 1.07. Of course all of this is based on undocumented and counterintuitive crap so who knows, but the current behavior appears to be that Riker's cheese is not possible.

Minority Report's Caste System idea is good. If you can capture Stonehenge, you can immediately revolt to Caste System and keep the civic even if you lose the city the next turn. Settling for example in place allows 3 Artists at size 5 working Fish/Sheep. With just those, you can get 2 Great Artists in 240/9 = 27 turns = turn 126 to get 2 Artists by turn 153. That gives you 125 - 106 = 19 turns to get Stonehenge, which I believe is possible in some games with mercenaries and luck. You'd also have to hold your start cities with Archers.

...or you could try what I done...

I researched Theology from the start and switched to Hed Rule, Slavery and Org Religion but that was it.

Its essential to put the 2nd city by the lakes on the hill below the swamps attached to the river. The reasons are twofold. Better commerce than mogadishu (sp?) which helps with research and as its on a river directly down from Egypt your likely to get any religion they have spreading to you. Of course if you found Christianity in that city like I did its also going to spread up the river (straight into Rome and Greece) giving you potentially strong European allies when it comes to hitting the later goals.

Hrmm I have another idea you could all just use my save... :lol:

If any of you try it out let me know if you suffered plague and a massive horse archer uprising about 5 - 10 turns after it. I survived but havent went much further than scrambling to protect my cities and founding Somalia.

Well you won't want the start I just had - somebody founded Christianity in turn 107, just as I was coming out of the initial revolution. Hmm, a random elemnt is fine, but this is silly. I wonder if anybody has hard a start where it's been founded by turn 105?

Cheers, Luke

I cant say I remember it being founded as early as that but it wouldnt suprise me. Its the one reason why I think this UHV should be changed (along with possibly Babylons and Indias) because it revolves around Luck and how the game has "ticked down" more than most UHV goals. Not that any of them are going to be changed but I still think they should be reviewed.

Yes, I had it that Christianity spread to me on turn 1 or 2 or so (Egyptian Buten had flipped to me and received the religion right away, it was quite silly).

m

Corm I won't use your save. I want to try for myself.
Maybey they should change the UHV in "find a religion" instead of "found a religion". But that would make it to easy.

'twas a joke.

However a better UHV would be have Judaisim and Christianity in all cities by something AD or build a Jewish and Christian Cathedral in AKsum by something AD or whatever.

As I said though Rhye made it clear none of the UHV will be changed so its not gonna happen.

One nice thing about UHV is that it managed to steer such an interesting conversation that keeps getting alive again every now and then. I guess if the UHV is changed we will lose the fun of coming here and ranting about our good and bad luck trying to get this thing done.

Anyway, it has been a long time already and it is almost evident by now that it is just a pure luck. Even the hack of trying to prevent Arabs from founding Islam depends on luck. You can secure the area of Mecca and most of Arabia but missing just a little corner somewhere is enough for your work to be all lost.

Ok, I moved on and I am actually trying other nations when I play RFC, which is somewhat rare nowadays as it needs a lot of free time. I may only be back to Ethiopia if either this UHV is changed or was proved to be possibly obtained without being extremely lucky. Good luck for those who are still trying, I admire your insistence.

Well, my third start tonight was OK, and I got Christianity successfully - though IIRC it was after the fall of Carthage and Greece to the barbarians; Egypt went not long after. End result is masses of barbarians with nobody else to fight but me :-( coming from the north. Fortunately I got the Mediator with the natives, so at least I don't have to worry about Impis coming from the south.

So it's nearly 1000 AD, and I'm a very piddly civilization indeed. But we'll see how it goes...

Cheers, Luke

Ok, I moved on and I am actually trying other nations when I play RFC, which is somewhat rare nowadays as it needs a lot of free time.

Babylon can be won in under 10 mins if you have Civ 4 installed on your comp at work for example...

Most of the Ancient ones dont require all that long in playing time really although I guess its relative. :)

Nice one Luke. So now you see what I mean about it being down to luck. BUT if both you and myself have done it since the recent patch it means that the change Rhye made with the patch to Ethiopia obviously works. Although what the change was was never specified. Oh and I have the EXACT same problem. Im trying to build an economy of some sort to allow me to reasearch and catch up but it aint happening because Ethiopia (well Equatorial Africa in general) isnt the most productive of places from a Civ IV point of view.

Yeah, I tried a couple times last night and just couldn't get Theology in time. But I just kept reloading from a save (I saved from the 1st turn).... so I guess that particular start was just impossible. So I guess I have to try new starts till I get one going.

But, I got bored with it. So I tried what also looked hard, the Khmer. 1st time I missed it 'cause I miss read the UHV (dumb), second time I caught plague about 5 turns before the UHV. But third time I got it.

My point is that the Ethiopian UHV is flawed (IMHO), so what is the point. I don't wanna keep setting up games, and playing through 10 or 20 turns with my fingers crossed that I got a good start.

Then again, I really wanna beat it.

Ryry

OK,

Tried Ethiopia again just now and got within 5 turns of Theology. This makes me think it can be done, as I made a few mistakes (yes, it is possible!).

I am going to basically restate what Corm has already said, but here is what looks like the way to do it:
General points: A) You need Alphabet to build research. You do not have time to research it. You must find a civ to trade for it. I did it this way: got open borders with Egypt by luck (they had a famine, I helped out), sent archer up to meet the Greeks and Romans. Romans traded it to me. There are also the Babylonians (but I think they will not have it) and the Carths, and maybe the Turks (?).
B) As soon as you get a library switch that city to build research. Also you can buy a scientist... but probably you need 4 citizens in Askam first. I bought a scientist with only 3 citizens, but it killed any growth in Askam... I think it would have been better to wait a couple turns for 4 citizens.

Actions:
1) Found city where you spawn (Askam). Build library. Research Theology
2) Send 1axe 1archer and settler South and West. You are aiming for the headwaters of the Nile above Lake Victoria (the hill south of the swamp). It is a bit far and in the fog-of-war at the beginning. Build library.
3) Workers spawn, pasture cows east of Askam. Use both workers for that. After that send 1 to the forest West of Askam to chop. Send the other South of Askam to the cows there or to the pig in the SW. I recommend the cows (hammers). Once the forest is chopped send that worked south to the second city and build a mine for hammers. Pasture whatever you did not pasture yet and then send worker to chop the forest near 2nd city. Basically what you are trying to do is chop both forests, pasture 2 cows and 1 pig and build a mine near the 2nd city. By the time you get all that built you (or more likely, someone else) has got Theology.

Notes:
In my game the Egyptians were the founders of Judaism, and it spread to me. I did NOT convert because I did not want to lose a turn. Also I did not change any civics for the same reason, did not want to lose a turn.

Whadda ya think Corm and others?

Ryry

Well Corm, I tried your idea of settling along the river, and it worked! Judaism flowed down the river to my city! Of course the Chinese STILL founded Christianity in turn 121. And since Egypt is too strong to conquer looks like I will fail in the first UVH goal.

Top Bottom