Ethnic Units Extended (unitart mod)

DeepWell

Chieftain
Here's a little graphics mod I made for AdvCiv. The idea was to make every unit look like their respective ethnicity. I combined units from many other mods and tried to keep it simple. (I didn't include European and Greco Roman artstyles in the pictures because I didn't change them that much.)

To install copy "Assets" and "Resource" folder and paste and overwrite in AdvCiv mod folder.

(Originally I included a font size change in this modmod but I decided to remove it. It was located in "Resource" folder but now only the "Assets" folder remains.)

African
african.jpg

Asian
asian.jpg

Middle East
middle_east.jpg

South America
south_america.jpg

Quick fixes / changes:
11.2.2022 - Fixed African Swordsman animations
14.2.2022 - Removed South American Archer headband feathers (so that it would be easier to distinguish from the Longbowman)
7.3.2022 - Corrected the European Archer selection / action sounds
18.12.2022 - Changed the Asian Chariot to look less advanced (it looked more like a medieval era unit)
4.4.2023 - Changed the Asian Galleon graphics to look consistent with the rest of the Asian navy
4.4.2023 - Revised some ships' scaling for better clarity
7.4.2023 - Revised some Chariots' scaling

Thanks to mods:
*Varietas Delectat*
-Caveman 2 Cosmos
-Civ4 Reimagined
-History Rewritten
-Legends of Revolution
-Realism Invictus
-and others

Thanks to f1rpo for the amazing mod AdvCiv!

Attachments

• EUE_1.56.7z
    6 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. It sure is jarring that BtS uses the Middle Eastern unit style for the Zulu.
Easy to install, and should also be easy to keep this up to date with AdvCiv. E.g. my development version for v1.05 hasn't made any changes to the three relevant XML files, so there are no conflicts.
And nice that you've kept the few unit scale changes from AdvCiv.

There seems to be a problem – and this could be just me somehow since I'm pretty clueless about graphics – with units that mix NIF and KFM files of different art styles. For example, my Holy Roman Archers go back and forth between a Frankish and FreakishEgyptian appearance.
Code:
<UnitArtInfo>
  <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_ARCHER_EUROPEAN</Type>
  <Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Archer.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,4,1</Button>
  <fScale>0.44</fScale>
  <fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
  <bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
  <bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
  <NIF>Art/European/Archer/frankisharcherfinalx.nif</NIF>
  <KFM>Art/Units/Archer_Egyptian/Archer_Egyptian.kfm</KFM>
  <SHADERNIF>Art/European/Archer/frankisharcherfinalx.nif</SHADERNIF>
  <!-- ... -->
I see the Egyptian art only for Archers that aren't selected, screenshot attached. Same issue with most of the African units. Hm, maybe I should try it with the v1.04 release build to see if that makes a difference.

Comparing screenshots, there is no difference in font size for me with and without your xml and fpk files. (Haven't tried copying your thm file, but I expect that it'll enlarge the fonts.)

Attachments

• egyptian-archer.jpg
    egyptian-archer.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 269
Oh, it's the Animations Frozen option. I should've thought of that. All good then. :thumbsup:

Oh, it's the Animations Frozen option. I should've thought of that. All good then. :thumbsup:

Good the reason for that was found. I was wondering what the problem might be because I never encountered it while editing stuff. Thanks keldath!

Very nice work.
this mod is something i might use for doto.
i like it.

Thank you!
I would be honored if you decide to use it. It's not perfect but probably as good as I can make with my limited NifSkope skills.
EDIT: Note that there are some inconsistencies in fighting animations but I don't find them bugging. For example, some Horse Archers that actually wield a sword may fight from a distance.

I just noticed that the African Swordsman had wrong animations. I changed it and updated the file.

Last edited:
Quick fixes after the original upload:

11.2.2022 - Fixed African Swordsman animations
14.2.2022 - Removed South American Archer headband feathers (so that it would be easier to distinguish from the Longbowman)
7.3.2022 - Corrected the European Archer selection / action sounds
18.12.2022 - Changed the Asian Chariot to look less advanced (it looked more like a medieval era unit)
4.4.2023 - Changed the Asian Galleon graphics to look consistent with the rest of the Asian navy
4.4.2023 - Revised some ships' scaling for better clarity
7.4.2023 - Revised some Chariots' scaling

Last edited:
Top Bottom