• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Euro 2004 Prediction Contest !

But at least the chances that he would get the right result (win, loss, draw) would be bigger. Another problem would be that someone who was in doubt could pick results to favour some teams and then pick the other teams to advance, which would be kinda strange, but would perhaps ensure that he'd score either way. It's also true that in theory you can get 0 points from the results and maximum points from guessing correctly the final group standings. But I believe the inverse tendency is more likely.

However, I see your point about the time, especially as I think there won't be any rest day between the first phase and the quarters, although you will already know who will play in some games before the first phase ends.

I guess people could make advance predictions in posts and then be allowed to edit them until the next round starts...

calgacus said:
I've attached my humble predictions :D
Thanx Calgacus. :)

And thanx also to Anarchy, Oblivion, Krysczcztov, Mr. President, Suppersalmons, ZurichUK. :)

They've all sent me their predictions :D

Well MC Dread, I actually don't see the difference between the way it was done during the CL and the way it will be done here.

Here's is an excel files showing you how the scores could be calculated. :)

I think we predict actual scores for the group stage and then we predict who we think will reach the later stages rather than predicting the scores for the later stages so it is possible.

Predicting the scores for the group stages and who we think will reach the later stages is the same thing...

How exactly will the knockout part work (in the competition)?

Its not quite the same as scores are precise whilst the teams less so... I haven't had a chance to look at the prediction file yet...

Okay so if you look at the spreadsheet the game takes your predictions from the first round and calculates who you have predicted to win each group from the scores and then when you enter the scores for the later rounds (I thought you just predicted the teams) then those teams progress. Kind of unfair on people who mess up the group stage as their scores are likely to get progressively worse...

Dell19 said:
Okay so if you look at the spreadsheet the game takes your predictions from the first round and calculates who you have predicted to win each group from the scores and then when you enter the scores for the later rounds (I thought you just predicted the teams) then those teams progress. Kind of unfair on people who mess up the group stage as their scores are likely to get progressively worse...
Actually, once the groups matches are over and that quarter-finalists are determined, people are still free to predict their scores for the real quarter-finals (as opposed to the fictitious ones of the first predictions). So no, not everything is done before the competition. We could still give predictions for real quarters, real semis and the real final once we will know what they will be about. :)

Well, that's how I've calculated the scores in my Excel sheet.

By the way Dell, do you think quarters, semis and final predictions should give more points ? What would be the coefficient compared to groups matches ? Respectively 2, 3 and 4 ? I think less would be accurate... maybe 1.25, 1.5 and 2. Dunno.

How do people change their predictions once they have submitted them?

If the predictions can be changed before each round then I would multiply the later rounds by higher numbers to encourage people to stay active in the game and to not allow the game to stagnate although if most people are going to keep the same predictions then it may be fairer to multiply the later rounds by smaller numbers like 1.25, 1.5, 2 rather than 2, 4, 8 etc.

I will just post it here...

Italy doesn't cut it anymore.
England never did good anymore since 1966.
France... maybe.
But I root for Holland.

You are meant to fill in the spreadsheet :p

That way you can actually enter the CFC prediction competition. :)

Can somebody clear up exactly how it'll work...

Surely we can't only submit one set of scores...the entire second half of the competition would be pointless...

Not really as you can still pick up some points although I am unclear whether Marla is saying that we are allowed to continue to alter our predictions for the next round until it begins...

Dell19 said:
Not really as you can still pick up some points although I am unclear whether Marla is saying that we are allowed to continue to alter our predictions for the next round until it begins...
Yes we are allowed to continue to alter our predictions. :)

However, there's no need to send me a specific spreadsheet where I can easily copy and paste the results since there are only 4 quarters. Once the quarters are determined you have 22 hours or so to post your predictions in this thread.

All scores sent on this chat-room after the final whistle of the last group matches and the first whistle of the first quarterfinals will be taken into account (4 games to predict). I'll check the hours of the posts to verify that.

Of course, it will be the same for the 2 semis and for the final.

So remember for the quarters, semis and final matches game predictions, post the results here. For the Excel spreadsheets prediction, you have untill the first whistle of Portugal-Greece to send it. :)

Dell19 said:
Thankyou for clearing it up. :)
I've added it to the first post. :)

By the way, I've also improved a bit the Excel predictions sheet. :)

Top Bottom