• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

World Cup 2006 Predictions Contest !

Marla_Singer

United in diversity
The winner is....
MCdread !!!!

Final Rankings

Just like we've made two years ago for the Euro, I propose that we organize a predictions contest where everyone would imagine its own predictions of what will happen during next month in Germany.

I've already created the Excel scores sheets. The sheet automatically selects the accurate team at the accurate spots according to the game results you've written. The sheet is multi-lingual, here are the different versions :
Rules :
  1. Download the Excel file.
  2. Fill it FULLY.
  3. Send it to my e-mail (or post it here) BEFORE the first game will be played.
  4. For the second round, quarters, semis and the final, post your predictions HERE before they are actually played.

Sending your results :
  • For group games and who you see reaching quarters, semis and final, you should fill up the sheet and either posting it in this thread or sending it to me at this postal adress : marla_singer_13@yahoo.com
  • If you have problems in uploading it, you can also copy and paste the results in a post here.
  • For the results of the 1/8 finals, 1/4 finals, 1/2 finals, small final and final, you should post your results in this thread once the team participating to those will be fully known.

Deadlines :
  • Group games and teams final standings : June 9th at 18:00 (Central European Time)
  • 1/8 finals : June 24th at 17:30 (CET).
  • Quarters : June 30th at 17:00 (CET)
  • Semis : July 4th at 21:00 (CET)
  • Third place : July 8th at 21:00 (CET)
  • Final : July 9th at 21:00 (CET)

List of the current 32 registered players :
  • Berrie
  • BirraImperial
  • CivArmy s.1994
  • Classical Hero
  • Darkness
  • Darth Pugwash
  • Dell19
  • Hitro
  • Inter4
  • KaeptnOvi
  • KingJoshi
  • Kronic
  • Kryszcztov
  • Loppan Torkel
  • Luiz
  • Mambo Joel
  • Marla Singer
  • Matteo
  • MCdread
  • Mr. Blonde
  • Oblivion
  • Rhye
  • Rik Meleet
  • Scratch
  • SoCalian
  • Surtur
  • Syntherio
  • ThERat
  • Twonky
  • Urederra
  • Willemvanoranje
  • Woodelf

Game details

Points - Part 1 : Games results points :
  • 3 points for each win, draw or loss acurately predicted.
  • 1 point if you predict the correct lead in a win.
  • 1 point if you predict the exact result.
  • -1 point if you predict a win and it turns out as a loss (or the opposite).
With that system, you can have from -1 to 5 points in case you forecast a win, and you can have from 0 to 4 points in case you forecast a draw.

Points - Part 2 : Teams final standings points :
  • 6 points for each team accurately predicted as reaching the 2nd round.
  • 8 points for each team accurately predicted as reaching the quarters
  • 12 points for each team accurately predicted as reaching the semis
  • 18 points for each team accurately predicted as reaching the final
  • 30 points for the team accurately predicted as the winner
With that system, you can win a maximum of 320 points on Part I and a maximum of 131 points of Part II. Maybe we should distribute more points for Part II if we want to better balance the thing I don't know.

For your own information, here's the thread about Euro 2004 predictions we've made two years ago so that you could become more familiar with the format :
Euro 2004 Prediction Contest !

If you have any other question which aren't answered here, do not hesitate to ask in this thread ! :)

Cool :)

Holland - Brazil in the final ;)

Having problems uploading the file since its 504k when zipped.

Ill try my luck with this ill post my xcl sheet shortly.

note: I suck at predictions (any sport) and I suck even more a football predictions.

But

Ill try this. :D

Don't feel in a hurry to post your sheet. We should determine the rules first. Unfortunately, I can't stay longer in here, but I'll be here to talk about it later. Feel free to start the debate if you want. :)

Nice work. :) I've found two little mistakes in the German sheets though. In the "Finalrunde" it always has to be "Erster", "Zweiter" and "Dritter". It's also "Platz 3". Damn grammar nazis.

Whatever my sheet come to be, My dream final would be Brazil X Argentina, with us beating them 3 X 0. As my second favourite, Brazil X Germany, where 2 X 0 would suffice. ;)

kronic said:
Nice work. :) I've found two little mistakes in the German sheets though. In the "Finalrunde" it always has to be "Erster", "Zweiter" and "Dritter". It's also "Platz 3". Damn grammar nazis.
No, on the opposite ! Thanks for the correction. I'm not totally fluent in German as you can imagine, as a result I couldn't see those mistakes by myself. If any Spanish, Italian or Portuguese speakers see similar mistakes, they shouldn't hesitate to mention them in here so that I could make the correction. :)

I'll read the portuguese version when I get the time. Any chance that you'll make a Brazilian Portuguese version? I mean, portugal is the source of the language, sure enough, but when it comes to football, Brazil has the recognizeable flag... ;)

Naaah.. I checked the Portuguese version.. there is not much to Brasilificar... I'd only:

1. "Classificação" instead of "Classificações dos grupos"
2. I've seen "Stuttgart" written like "Estugarda"
3. "Campeão" instead of "Campeões do Mundo"
4. "Copa 2006" instead of "Copa do Mundo" (but that's just personal taste)

:goodjob: Marla...this is what I was waiting for...will download.

I am usually terrible at these things, but as long as we get to see great football, I don't care who wins it.

willemvanoranje said:
Naaah.. I checked the Portuguese version.. there is not much to Brasilificar... I'd only:

1. "Classificação" instead of "Classificações dos grupos"
2. I've seen "Stuttgart" written like "Estugarda"
3. "Campeão" instead of "Campeões do Mundo"
4. "Copa 2006" instead of "Copa do Mundo" (but that's just personal taste)

Estugarda is the postuguese word for Stuttgart, and, since it is the portuguese flag that I see above, we don't use the word Copa. We say Campeonato Mundo ou Mundial in the short version. Very rarely, Taça do Mundo, as taça is the proper word for cup and not copa. :p

Also, and bearing in mind that I'm talking about portuguese from Portugal here.
We say:
- Trindade e Tobago instead of Trinidad e Tobago;
- Holanda instead of Países Baixos
- Irão instead o Irã (Irã?!? Sometimes these brazilian translations crack me up!)
- República Checa instead of República Tcheca (the form tch doesn't exist in portuguese)
- Coreia instead of Coréia
- Oitavos de Final instead of Oitavas de Final, and similarly Quartos instead of
Quartas (in rigour I think the feminin cannot be used here, so count that as one more gramatical error in the brazilian version of the language :mischief:)
- Meias Finais more often than Semifinais, but that's alright.
- Pen (of penalty) instead of pên (of I don't know what)

On the other hand, it's interesting that it has golo and pên. If it was in european portuguese it should be Golo/pen and in brazilian gol/pên, so it's a combo, probably to please everyone, right Marla? ;)

Also, either you put the city names in german or portuguese. Right now they're mixed, with the odd Colônia. We also say Colónia, not Colônia, but that's because we pronounce the "o" differently.
In portuguese the names of the cities, for which the portuguese version is indeed the most used are:
- Munique
- Berlim
- Hamburgo
- Estugarda
- Nuremberga
- Colónia/Colônia (port/braz as said above)

Frankfurt is also Francoforte, and Hannover Hanôver, but the german word is the one that's used in both cases, especially in the first.

The remaining, Kaiserslautern and Gelsenkirchen, are written like that.

Finally, I disagree with willem: classificação dos grupos is correct, and campeão do mundo is acceptable.

Seems to me that the portuguese flag should be a brazilian one haha!

*Irã!!! (just like Amsterdã!)
*Tcheca is the way it's written in Braz as well...
*Taça is acceptable, but in Brasil everyone says Copa!
*However.. "Campeonato Mundial" is the perfect compromise then
*Holanda is not the correct name, although I do prefer it too ;)
*I never heard meias finais, but it does make sense :p
*Campeão do Mundo it is then, not campeões!
*Just use penalti (or do they use y too?)

(and as for Estugarda, I was pointing out that it should be that and not Stuttgart;), eventhough I am a fan of writing city names the way they were meant to be written.. Lissabon or Lisboa? Exactly!)

willemvanoranje said:
Seems to me that the portuguese flag should be a brazilian one haha!

*Irã!!! (just like Amsterdã!)
*Tcheca is the way it's written in Braz as well...
*Taça is acceptable, but in Brasil everyone says Copa!
*However.. "Campeonato Mundial" is the perfect compromise then
*Holanda is not the correct name, although I do prefer it too ;)
*I never heard meias finais, but it does make sense :p
*Campeão do Mundo it is then, not campeões!
*Just use penalti (or do they use y too?)

(and as for Estugarda, I was pointing out that it should be that and not Stuttgart;), eventhough I am a fan of writing city names the way they were meant to be written.. Lissabon or Lisboa? Exactly!)

- Amsterdã? They say Amsterdã? :lol: I'm sorry, but that's really funny!
- Like I said, "tch" is a combination one cannot use in "picky" portuguese.;) It would have to have a vowell in between.
- Holland may not be correct, but as for portuguese, it is Holanda that is the name of the country. very, very rarely is it ever called as Países Baixos. Especially because originally, Países Baixos referred the whole region of Holland and part of Belgium, ie, the Kingdom of The Netherlands before 1830.
- It's not a question of penalty or penalti. It is the circumflex accent, but that's normal because we pronounce the vowell differently. It's not the case in here, but it is for example in Colónia/Colônia: in portuguese, when you have a word with three syllables, and the second is the strong one, you must put the accent, otherwise it would read differently. Generally, in Portugal we pronounce it strongly, thus the acute accent of Polónia, Colónia, Roménia, etc. In Brazil they pronounce it with a more nasal-like sound, thus they must use the circumflex: Polônia, Colônia, Romênia, etc.

:hmm:

Okay... actually I didn't know that Brazilian was so different from Portuguese. I've stolen the "translations" on various web pages about the world cup in portuguese languages. I guess my main source of information was Brazilian, and some other words, like "golo" from Portuguese sources. I didn't expect such a difference between both versions of the Portuguese language.

MCdread and Willem :

What I propose is that you write two files, one in Portugal's portuguese and one in Brazilian's portuguese. MCdread, you would write Portugal's one and Willem you would write Brazil's one. To edit the page, you simply need to remove the protection.

For this, once in Excel, go in tools, then protection then unprotect sheet. If your Excels are in different language, try the appropriate translations for those. ;)

Afterwards, you can edit both sheets, as you want, and then you can send them to me. Okay ?

Here's my e-mail : marla_singer_13@yahoo.com :)

With my friends I use this scoring-system:
One point if you predict correctly, who wins/a draw.
One point if you predict the correct lead in a win.
One point if you predict the exact result.

For example:
The result is 4-2,
if you predicted a 0-0, you gain 0 points
if you predicted a 1-0, you gain 1 point
if you predicted a 2-0, you gain 2 points
if you predicted a 4-2, you gain 3 points

FredLC said:
Whatever my sheet come to be, My dream final would be Brazil X Argentina, with us beating them 3 X 0. As my second favourite, Brazil X Germany, where 2 X 0 would suffice. ;)

Funny change Brazil for England in both of them and id be over the moon :D

Top Bottom