Europa Europa Deluxe: European Empires Mod 1525-1800

Leif said:
Would you like me to write rough drafts of pedia entries?

If you'd like too, that'd be wonderful. However, we might want to wait on those until things are more definite (e.g., I'd hate for you to write an entry for a civic, only to have that civic eventually dropped due to balance).

Thanks, Leif! :goodjob:

Alright, I need somebody with the SDK skills to compile a bunch of SDK mods together for me (the CCP may not contain everything that I need/want). This requires only compiling the wonderful work of others into a DLL. Any volunteers?

(p.s. the person that helps me with this... gets an Easter Egg inside the mod of their choosing :p).

Hey AG, you know I am always up for a challenge. Drop me a PM with a link to your files, and I would be happy to give them a whirl.
Oh and, btw, I have added a few new tags to LeaderTraitsInfo which might interest you-namely <iDistanceMaintenanceModifier>, <iNumCitiesMaintenanceModifier> and <iOccupationTimerModifier>. I thought any of them might be a good alternative to the +25% Settler production modifier for Imperialist civs.

Aussie_Lurker.

EDIT: Actually, I should point out that, though the tags have been added, I have not yet tested if they work in-game. Still, at least I have a working .dll file-which is a start ;).

Aussie_Lurker said:
Hey AG, you know I am always up for a challenge. Drop me a PM with a link to your files, and I would be happy to give them a whirl.
Oh and, btw, I have added a few new tags to LeaderTraitsInfo which might interest you-namely <iDistanceMaintenanceModifier>, <iNumCitiesMaintenanceModifier> and <iOccupationTimerModifier>. I thought any of them might be a good alternative to the +25% Settler production modifier for Imperialist civs.

Aussie_Lurker.

EDIT: Actually, I should point out that, though the tags have been added, I have not yet tested if they work in-game. Still, at least I have a working .dll file-which is a start ;).

Thanks Aussie_Lurker! I'll figure out whats needed and let you know... it's basically just combining a much of SDK mods posted on the forum. Those new leader traits sound excellent.

Another question that you may be able to help me with: The problem why I can't compile is that installing Microsoft SDK platform is 100+ megs and I have dial-up. Am I doing something wrong installing it?

I spent a bunch of time today making the new religion icons below. I think they look pretty. In order, they are Catholicism, Protestantism, Orthodox, and Reform. Islam's icon will be the standard icon from civ.

Attachments

• newrelicons.jpg
    newrelicons.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 152
not to be critical but.. not sure about the reformed icon. Not that I have any better suggestion it just looks a little to much like the German WW2 insignia.

davbenbak said:
not to be critical but.. not sure about the reformed icon. Not that I have any better suggestion it just looks a little to much like the German WW2 insignia.

Fair enough. Any suggestions about what it could be instead of a hollow cross? Maybe a color change would make it look less like that?

I've finally been able to figure out how to make the civics screen look nice with 10 civics options. I’m very excited, because it took me all last night. See the screenshot below. This means 10 different civics options.

Possible Option Categories and Civics:

- Executive Form:
Feudal Monarchy
Absolute Monarchy
Oligarchy
Parliamentary Rule
Dictatorship

- Political Power:
Aristocracy
Plutocracy
Theocracy
Military Rule
Bureaucracy

- State Power:
Feudal Hierarchy
Local Autonomy
Absolutism
Centralized Bureaucracy
Social Contract

- Cultural Value:
Tradition
Religious Fanaticism
Prosperity
Humanism
Nationalism

- Religious Policy:
Religious Politics
Suppression
Inquisition
Tolerance
Anti-Clericalism

- Economic Base:
Seignorialism
Merchant Trade
Colonialism
Merchant Capitalism
Early Industrial Capitalism

- Economic Policy:
Serfdom
Mercantilism
State Monopolies
Laissez Faire
Mobilization

- ?

- Military Organization:
Vassal Armies
Mercenaries
Professional Army
Levee en Masse
Admiralty

- Military Doctrine:
Medieval Tactics
Discipline
Shock
Manoeuvre
Fire Power

This is still just a rough outline. There's one category left. Suggestions, comments, complains, and concerns are welcome. Thanks :goodjob:

Attachments

• 10civicsscreen.jpg
    10civicsscreen.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 149
Dom Pedro II said:
Wow... I've never seen so many civic options before...

Yeah... I'm not sure if it'd be player overload or not... (more isn't necissarily always better). I'm going to play around with it for now, though. With the stuff Aussie_Lurker et al are working on, though, if I go with this many options they will all do different things.

I think it's better to have more civic options and less civics per option... I personally don't like it when you see some of these mods that add five or six new civics to each civic option because it only creates the illusion of greater flexibility... true flexibility comes from being able to have more civic options with more choices active at one time.

Hey, how the heck did you manage to get the splitting effect? That could be very helpful for my final version of my Civics_Expander_Mod!

Aussie_Lurker.

Dom Pedro II said:
I think it's better to have more civic options and less civics per option... I personally don't like it when you see some of these mods that add five or six new civics to each civic option because it only creates the illusion of greater flexibility... true flexibility comes from being able to have more civic options with more choices active at one time.

I agree.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Hey, how the heck did you manage to get the splitting effect? That could be very helpful for my final version of my Civics_Expander_Mod!

Aussie_Lurker.

It involved a lot of trying and crying... :lol:. I changed text and panel sizes for the upper panels. Then basically just added variable(s) that for any civics options over 5, prints the panels and texts lower for the panels of the options above 5. If you need something similar for your Civics_Expander_Mod, I'd be glad to help you.

Well, we will see how it goes. For the meantime, though, can you tell me how you can control the font size for the Titles of each civics category? Once I figure that out, it should be easy enough to squeeze everything in :).

Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Well, we will see how it goes. For the meantime, though, can you tell me how you can control the font size for the Titles of each civics category? Once I figure that out, it should be easy enough to squeeze everything in .

In CvCivicsScreen.py

For the titles:

Lines 164 and 260, just change the font=3b to font=2b or whatever you like. The b on the end makes it capitalized. Dropping that can conserve space as well.

For the text:

For the top panels, line 172:
change this term argument the function: gc.getCivicInfo(j).getDescription()
to the following: u"<font=2>" + gc.getCivicInfo(j).getDescription()

For the bottom panels multiline text, line 268:
change this argument in the function: szHelpText
to the following: u"<font=2>" + szHelpText

Hope this helps.

It does, a lot. Thanks for that AG.
Actually, with your knowledge of Python, I may be 'tapping your brain' when it comes time to do my Ideology Mod-as that it going to require a whole new screen-based around the Religion Screen ;).
Have to finish my civics mod first though!

Aussie_Lurker.

I was thinking that for religion you might want to make them rather different from each other... in particular, Protestantism and Catholicism should have a number of benefits and penalties since those are going to be the two main choices faced by players in the game... civs aren't likely to convert from a Christian faith to Islam nor vise versa.

Anyway, Catholicism's strengths, I think should be in the presence of a centralized authority... you get more help and benefits from other Catholic nations regardless of your standing with them, and the Papacy itself will help you out from time to time... the disadvantage to Catholicism, however, should be the presence of a centralized authority ;) Ah, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away :)

Basically, the Pope should limit a player's domestic and foreign policy. Right off the bat, switching to civics that diminishes the Pope's influence in your country should bring negative diplomatic effects, and carrying on with those Protestant heathens and Muslim infidels should do the same (that's not too tough as that's already in the game when you have diplomatic relations with an unpopular third party). But the Pope should also block you from being able to make deals with Protestant and Muslim countries... the Pope's influence might also prevent you from adopting certain civics, marrying off to certain players, and prevent you from building certain buildings... in particular, I mean colonies... I don't know how you have it set up, but if you've got Colony wonders that could be divided into the New World and the Old World or other geographic divisions, you could have the Pope establish a line of demarcation to settle territorial feuds... and thus the only way to build those colonies or to do the other sorts of things you might want with a free hand, you'd have to...

Convert to Protestantism. Protestantism's main advantage is the freedom of the player to do whatever he wants. The main disadvantage (especially when you're that first brave leader to switch to Protestantism) is that it puts you in really bad standing with all the Catholic countries.

In the economic base category, I don't really think we should use both merchant and capitalism twice, you can have it mean the same thing, just don't reuse the word as much.

Maybe guild trade and industrialism would work

I love the extra categories and will suggest more later

Dom Pedro II said:
the disadvantage to Catholicism, however, should be the presence of a centralized authority ;) Ah, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away :)

:lol:

I really like the idea of more concrete religious influence on diplomacy. In addition, one might be barred from making alliances with civs with state religions other than their own. As for how to implement these, it's an SDK change... something I cannot do at this time. :(

Although, civics, buildings, and units availability is exposed in python, so some of this may be possible for me to do...

Leif said:
Maybe guild trade and industrialism would work

I like those much better. I changed merchant trade to "Guild Trade" and "Early Industrial Capitalism" into "Early Industrialization." Maybe "Industrial Revolution" sounds better? Thanks.

Perhaps the Pope could veto your war plans just like the Senate used to do in earlier Civ versions if you played as a Republic or Democracy.

Top Bottom