European civilizations (2013 poll)

Which of these European civilizations you would like to see included in civilization?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xandinho

Deity
Which of these European civilizations you would like to see included in civilization?

Alans
Angles and Saxons
Belgium
Bulgaria
Burgundians
Czechoslovakia
Finland
Franks
Goths
Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Grand Duchy of Tuscany
Hungary
Italy
Kingdom of Bohemia
Kingdom of Croatia
Lombards
Ostrogoths
Romania
Suebi
Switzerland
Ukraine
Vandals
Visigoths
Yugoslavia

Belgium
Bulgaria
Czechoslovakia
Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Hungary
Kingdom of Bohemia
Kingdom of Croatia
Romania
Switzerland
Ukraine
Yugoslavia

I've eliminated the ones that could be represented by a current Civ.
Then, we eliminate the overlap in suggestions:
Belgium
Bohemia
Bulgaria
Cossack Hetmanate (rather than Ukraine)
Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Hungary
Romania
Serbia (rather than Yugoslavia)
Switzerland

Now first, it's important to look at the practicality of having each civ, assuming that every civ has to have existed for 100 years or more. (most did, except the Huns and Mongols I think all of them did.)
Belgium: Works well in a Scramble for Africa situation but how would you represent Belgium in a normal game of Civ? Remember that Belgium spent a lot of time in history not being Belgium. You could have an economic powerhouse Belgium, which would probably fit them best, but then they would be a highly situational civ.
Bohemia: A bit easier to work with than Belgium, could be considered a civ which is fairly religion based, but could require a rework of the Piety Tree.
Bulgaria: Would be military based, but there are a lot of those already.
Cossacks: Once again military based and would require a rework of Russia.
Lithuania: This could actually be a really interesting one but once again, how would you properly represent the structure of the nation? Wouldn't it be better to change Poland around a bit?
Hungary: As above, wouldn't it be better to change Austria around a bit?
Romania: It's a bit of a modern civ, but so is America. There is probably a way of incorporating all of the Principalities into it a little bit, but then again, all the Dracula jokes would be too much to handle.
Serbia: I'd rather have a Serbia than a Yugoslavia, although there may not be a way around it. I also have no idea how Serbia would work. Maybe Belgrade should remain a city-state.
Switzerland: Switzerland is... ineresting. How would a Swiss Civ work? Gifting units to Civs in return for a peace treaty?

Some of the civs are not bad ideas at all, it's just that there's a certain balance to be maintained amongst civs, and some wouldn't really work as civs anyway.

Switzerland only, I think. With unique pikeman replacement and financial UB/UA. Its unique unit also may replace landsknechts as well - this will make commerce a must-have policy branch for Switzerland.

I don't know if Switzerland has been historically important enough to warrant being civ, at least in comparison with other civs like Bulgaria, Hungary, the Holy Roman Franks, and the Ukrainians. That said, the only European civ I think would be included, even if there were nine new civs, is Hungary.

I don't know, for me Vietnam and Hungary are pretty close together on my want list. Truthfully, I'd rather have Hungary than Poland or Venice, so in an ideal world this wouldn't be an argument because we'd already have Hungary. Still, I'd say Hungary is more likely simply because Hungary has less real competition in Europe than Vietnam does is SE Asia.

I'd rather have Hungary than Poland or Venice, so in an ideal world this wouldn't be an argument because we'd already have Hungary.
IMO, Poland much deserve the spot, but Venice? IDK, I don't even know why so many player here wants Venice in the game. I'd rather have Australia, Vietnam, Switzerland, Canada or even Hungary rather than Venice.

Still, I'd say Hungary is more likely simply because Hungary has less real competition in Europe than Vietnam does is SE Asia.
Agree! :D

I don't know, for me Vietnam and Hungary are pretty close together on my want list. Truthfully, I'd rather have Hungary than Poland or Venice, so in an ideal world this wouldn't be an argument because we'd already have Hungary. Still, I'd say Hungary is more likely simply because Hungary has less real competition in Europe than Vietnam does is SE Asia.

How does Hungary have less real competition than Vietnam? Austria, Poland are close by. Vietnam has Siam. I wouldn't pick civs based on where they are located on true location maps, I never play those. I always wonder why people find mainland SE Asia to be adequately covered by Siam. Because they're all Buddhist? All their languages are related? Those two are false anyway.

I still picked Hungary anyways, it has a unique language which indicates its migration from the east, but its culture is basically European after centuries of assimilation. Most likely Matthias Corvinus would be the leader, though some of the medieval monarchs are notable as well.
Other European civs I picked are Bulgaria (a rival to Byzantium for a time), Goths (rather they combine both Visigoths and Ostrogoths into one civ, with Theodoric the Great as leader, plus hearing the Gothic language would be nice, all the other Germanic groups minus the Franks and Anglo-Saxons (Burgundians, Suebi, Lombards, Vandals) have barely any language attestation and formed brief kingdoms, and I chose other because of Armenia or Georgia (unless that's considered Middle Eastern, I think the Caucasus region needs to be represented in the game)

IMO, Poland much deserve the spot, but Venice? IDK, I don't even know why so many player here wants Venice in the game. I'd rather have Australia, Vietnam, Switzerland, Canada or even Hungary rather than Venice.

I agree
It would be interesting to see a civilization most notable in the game, such as the Sumerian, Hungarian, Vietnam, Khmer, Olmec or Belgium, I do not think that Venice has to be considered a civilization, Venice would be better as a city-state.

How does Hungary have less real competition than Vietnam? Austria, Poland are close by. Vietnam has Siam. I wouldn't pick civs based on where they are located on true location maps, I never play those. I always wonder why people find mainland SE Asia to be adequately covered by Siam. Because they're all Buddhist? All their languages are related? Those two are false anyway.

I said Hungary has less real competition because Austria and Poland are already in the game. Hungary is the last European civ that hasn't been included that spans multiple eras and remained influential for long stretches of time. Bulgaria, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, the Franks, and Bohemia all had their day, but really only Hungary formed a kingdom that spanned hundreds of years and remained a key player throughout much of it, even if sometimes it was under foreign rule. They were among the most autonomous under the Turks and they favored in Austria, second in status only to Germans. So all in all, Hungary to me is a clear frontrunner in Europe. Vietnam on the other hand has the Khmer and Pagan to deal with in SE Asia, both of which have long, rich histories and each lasted a considerable period of time. It's not so certain that the next SE Asian civ would be Vietnam.

I said Hungary has less real competition because Austria and Poland are already in the game. Hungary is the last European civ that hasn't been included that spans multiple eras and remained influential for long stretches of time. Bulgaria, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, the Franks, and Bohemia all had their day, but really only Hungary formed a kingdom that spanned hundreds of years and remained a key player throughout much of it, even if sometimes it was under foreign rule. They were among the most autonomous under the Turks and they favored in Austria, second in status only to Germans. So all in all, Hungary to me is a clear frontrunner in Europe. Vietnam on the other hand has the Khmer and Pagan to deal with in SE Asia, both of which have long, rich histories and each lasted a considerable period of time. It's not so certain that the next SE Asian civ would be Vietnam.

Now I understand :goodjob:
I'm not sure Firaxis would consider Burma/Pagan as a civ. It's not as well known compared to Khmer Empire and Vietnam. I bet Philippines has a better chance of being a civ (it is a potential market, there are Filipino civ players). Haven't encountered any Burmese players on this forum yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom