European Middle Ages Mod Resurrection

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Head Serf, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

The AI in this mod doesn't seem to use Archery units as city defenders, as far as I can see. Their AI using the world builder unit button seems to be AI_Attack, so I think they go out looking for fights.

Personally, I'd like to see Archers take the city defense role... later, I'd like to see that role go to Militia (which may need improvements as well), and the Archer Upgrades become attackers, or counter punchers, at least.

2. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I've been testing the new map lately. Something that has always bothered me about the mod has been that the tech advances at most of the game speeds happen at dates widely at variance with when they were historically researched. I think the problem is that the mod uses the vanilla setting for the year advancement, and these are not appropriate for the mod and the way the techs are set.

Generally, I play Marathon speed. Unlike the other game speeds, I have found that the Marathon tech advancement tracks rather closely with historic dates. To my mind then, since Marathon speed is one year=one turn, the techs progress at a fairly steady rate of progress. The vanilla year settings are inappropriate for this steady growth... they are geared for a different purpose. The turns in vanilla civ begin at many turns per year, and shrink significantly near the end. This is so that the much accelerated modern eras are still enjoyable, and the players can have adequate time to play with all their new toys. This is not the case for this mod, so porting over the year/turn tech values from Vanilla Civ is not a good idea.

That being the case, I started fiddling with the year/turn settings for the various speeds. In the following spoiler are the values that I've adjusted them to. My testing shows the rates to match tech progress in this mod to a much better degree than the current turn/year rates.

Here is the modified Civ4GameSpeedInfo.xlm file:

Attached Files:

3. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

I just included your new game speed info. Just looking at it, it looks like it will be much better than it was before.

4. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

If one of you guys could post a city list for the Khazars, I'd be really appreciative. For some reason I can't unzip the Khazar civilization mod thing and if one of you guys could post the city list, that'd be great.

5. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Emperor

Scan this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=121047

Will that work?

6. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

I just looked over it, I'll add it in immeadiately. Thanks!

7. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I forgot to mention with the game speed changes, the game lengths in turns are slightly different.

Marathon - 1000 turns (no change)
    Epic- 600 turns
    Normal - 400 turns
    Quick - 300 turns

8. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Something the mod is missing is Future Tech of some sort.

Also, there should be a tech that allows adjustment of the culture rate. There is one for science, but none ever for culture. Perhaps Renaissance Art, or music might be good for this.

9. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

By then, isn't a culture slider near useless? Maybe a closer tech, like Literature?

As to a Future Tech, there never really was a future tech for this age. It doesn't seem logical. I don't know, maybe I'll look into it for a later version.

With some luck the new version will be released on saturday.

10. jefmart1

jefmart1 Prince

When I play, it always has Longbowmen fortified as the primary defenders (and Militia, but I can crush them). Not sure if thats due to what I have or because they don't have access to iron or copper?

Plus, I've never had an aggressive stack include archers. They generally include light & heavy cavalry, or horse archers and knights, macemen, and catapults. Never longbowmen, and maybe never crossbowmen either...

Weird how we have two very different experiences. Is that due to the AI reacting differently to our style of play or our unit mix? I rely almost exclusively on cavalry units, and I wait to build up an almost overwhelming advantage. Then I convince the next victim to either declare war on someone else, or have someone else declare war on them. I wait a few turns so that they send of their armies and then I attack swiftly.

11. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

The only reason I asked about future tech, is that without it, there is not much else to spend your gold on (unless you choose a civic that lets you hurry with cash)(something a player would certainly do, but not necessarily the AI).

Future tech, to me, is just a catchall for tech beyond the timeline of the mod. It's rather ephemeral, but certainly a place to gain points towards a point based victory.

A good mod, I believe, will run out of techs some way before the game ends based on turns... not too long, but long enough to let players use units and buildings that come rather close to the end of the tech tree. So there will often be a point before the game ends where civs begin to accumulate too much unspendable cash... this is the reason for future tech.

Literature seems a good place for a luxury slider as well.

An idea though:

Hr_Oskar changed the idea of culture to that of influence... so perhaps, in that vein, some political/governmental tech might be suitable. And certain government buildings might even be given influence based upon the slider (courts/keeps/castles come to mind). This, in the same way that theatres and colluseums are affected by the luxury slider in Vanilla.

12. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

I increased the strength of triremes from 2 to 3, otherwise they become obseleted by Lateen Galleys after Seafaring, which have a strength of 4.

I made the AI changes you said, and the computers are doing a lot better, except Egypt still has the problem of losing Alexandria. I also made increased the required range for barbarian spawns, so they won't spawn as close to a civilization's units.

Lastly the mod is not necasarily ending at 1500 any more with the new year increments. I can easily fix it though.

13. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Sorry if I made a mistake with the yearly increments... I thought I'd calculated them correctly so that the game lasted 1000 years, no matter what the speed.

Also, I apologize for not doing the Papacy city lists yet. I'll try to get them done tomorrow.

14. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

By the way, I really like the look and feel of the new map. It is a much better size than the last one.

Well done on that.

15. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

No need to apologize, since the Papal States will be for scenarios only it's really not a big deal.

16. Stellan_87

Stellan_87 Chieftain

I cant get the sound to work... have removed the sound folder and placed it into the assets folder of the mod, have i forgotten something?

Ignore question.. realised that i have putted the whole mod folder in the / my games / civ folder.

17. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Could someone do a city list for the barbarians? There are only like, 5 cities on it right now.

18. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

I can't make it so that the Papal UU spreads religion better, so it will only have move 3 and a signifigantly reduced cost, from 20 to 12.

And Craig, you're right, I checked out the GameSpeedInfos and they added up. The problem was in the WBS file I was using.

19. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Could the Papal UU ingnore closed borders, like the Caravel? That would make it more useful...

20. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

That might make it unbalanced and too easy to get a religious victory if they could march into whatever city they wanted. That's my concern anyway, it would have to be tested and such.