Events for this great Mod

Delete an entire folder!!! Madness!

Hmmm.... okay, I will give it a try.

Thanks.

In that case, all you need to do is delete the entire folder:

..\Mods\The Road to War\Assets\XML\Events\

I do not know if this will cause any errors though, I suspect it will but I haven't tried it myself. This will turn on the BtS events.

Yes, it does cause errors. This is what caused the CTD I reported in another thread in the RtW forum here. I will instead try putting the default xml files in the Events folder instead of deleting the folder.

Well I haven't tried pasting the default events .xml files in the RtW folders, but I DID try to apply Solver's events mod, with the same error. What a bummer.

My goal is to be able to play the "Open 1936" scenario without historical events (except the Vichy one) AND with events. If we are going to have events related to the 1939s-40s, we need to know how to add/edit events in this Mod.

I know how to do events (both my method and BtS method).

I can also make events only active for open mode. That's easy. :)

If you guys can come up with the events I'll program them in. :)

Here's a couple I came up with:
1. Military Exercise Breakthrough!
During a routine military exercise one of your commanding officers tried a new tactic on the spur of the moment as his unit was looking at defeat. The maneuver worked so well the certain defeat was turned into victory.
+1 XP for a random unit.

2. Military Exercise Goes Wrong!
During a routine military exercise on the border one of your artillery units accidentally fired into the neighouring nation's land killing some civilians.
- Pay reparations: -50 gold
- Take the hit: -2 diplomatic ties

3. Industrial Accident!
During the night one of the cities industrial plants suffered from a fire. Estimates of the damage are very high rendering the plant destroyed. Authorities have yet to reveal whether the fire was deliberately lit.
Lose a factory

4. Technological Breakthrough! (Must be more than 50% through current tech)
Scientists working on "insert tech here" have made a major breakthrough! The leader of the group is quoted as saying, "Well it was either going to work or blow up in our faces. Luckily it worked."
Current tech is automatically finished

How difficult is it to have events tied to a particular civ? We could have British events, French events, German events, etc.

Or is this a bad idea?

Okay, plopping the default events .xml files in the \xml\events folder only gets me my same old error message.

The good news.... on the bookshelf behind my computer desk is a huge book called "20th Century day-by-day" chocked full of events..... I think I will give it a look.

I can also make events only active for open mode. That's easy.

So... how is it done? Could you share some code that allows some events to occur, from the \xml\events folder, so I can add some others in later?

Thanks again for all your valuable feedback and assistance.

If these events were put in, would it be possible to mod it to go with the historical events modes too?

Plane Crash over (insert enemy or neutral name here) results in one air unit being lost.

So Dale,

If I edit the files in the xml\events\ folder, will it work? What is involved in getting events in the open game?

Thanks.

Never mind....<g>

I tested it out, and events will occur, at least in debug mode. I simply added a trigger, 2 events, and the required text, all in the xml files.

Okay, here's some ideas for some events.

Lend lease:
If USSR and England are at war with any axis nation and relations between Axis nation and US are bad,
then -2 relations to Axis nations and some units go to USSR
and some cash comes from US.
(this event could occur every couple dozen turns or so)

Reject Versaille:
If Germany and Italy are on good terms
then Germany can either
1) Reject Versialle and get a -2 attitude adjustment from US,GB and France but a boost in culture or happiness, and the ability to build bigger battleships and carriers or:
2) Continue reparations and have some $ subtracted
(this event could recur until event 1 is chosen)

I can see events addressing the Spanish Civil war, the Finnish-Soviet war, the invasion of the Rhine area, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Dunkirk.... night of the long knives, development of the bomb, US propaganda for the war effort, war bonds....

If I may put forth an opinion - if the mod includes Vichy France event it should include Operation Torch and occupation of Vichy events too.

Here a random event a came up with:

Scientist defects from country A to country B

-Country B gets :science:'s towards a tech that Country A knows.

Okay, here is an event I am going to add.

Since there is some frustration by players that Germany is too easy to win with, lets create a solution from a historical event.

Lets call it the Treaty of Versaille event. Since events can increase in frequency of occurrence due to increased number of units with the <bProbabilityUnitMultiply> tag in the Civ4TriggersInfo.xml file, and you can trigger a minimum cash reserve amount, the event would trigger for Germany if they have certain amount of cash and/or increased amounts of units. Okay, actually its going to have to be two different events, one for just amount of units, and one for amount of units and hammers (cash reserve).

It would also be good if tanks had a maintenance cost, so build-up would be penalized too. But that is not part of the event.

Back to the event. So if Germany builds more units, or piles up the cash, or both, the event is triggered.

From the triggers, 3 events are offered as choices.

1. "Quietly accept the reparations demand". The events would be money taken from Germany's cash. If this is chosen, the triggers will recur.

2. "Make reparations and give a radio broadcast deploring the unfair treatment you are receiving". Less money is taken, but along with a little unhappiness in all the cities. This trigger can recur.

3. "Reject the Treaty" . No money is lost, but a big negative attitude adjustment is made with UK, USA, and France. But also, it gives Germany a unique tech that allows it to build Battleships and Aircraft Carriers, increased happiness and a boost to the economy. This event would stop the triggers, so it only happens once.

Another change I will make is to change Germany's leader traits from Financial to Charismatic or something like that, to make Germany less economically strong unless they reject the treaty.

And of course another event trigger that if Germany is at war with Poland, UK, France or the Benelux countries and relationships are at a certain low point, they will declare war. I don't want an automatic DOW by everyone, but it will be almost automatic if Germany attacks Poland for France and England to get involved.

In this way, Germany's war machine can not get in high gear unless it rejects the treaty. But it also has to walk a tightrope regarding relationships and attitudes of other countries. If it accepts the terms of the treaty, there is a constant drain on the economy and it only gets worse as its builds up its military.

Here are some historical events I gleaned from DK Publishing's "20th Century Day by Day".

1936 January, George V dies, succeeded by Eward VIII. Joe Louis KOs Charley Retzlaff in 1st round. Goebbels seeks colonies for raw materials. Washington reports economic output highest in 5 years.

1936 February Winter Olympics start in Germany. In Ethiopia, Italy takes Mt. Alaji. Construction begins on Treasure Island in the SF Bay. VW makes its debut. Pitcher Walter Johnson throws a silver dollar across the Rappahannock River to commemorate George Washington's birthday.

1936 March Germany enters Rhineland. Floods sweep 12 Midwest states, 134 killed. Washington DC, school superintendent bars teaching of Pacifism.

1936 April Jews and Palestinians clash. Ship Queen Mary make maiden voyage.

1936 May Bold Venture wins Kentucky Derby. Farouk take throne in Egypt, only 16yo. In NY, Samuel Resevsky becomes US chess champ. Italy conquers Ethiopia.

1936 June American Airlines conducts first DC-3 flight. In Queens NY, work begins on the upcoming World's Fair.

1936 July Lucky Luciano, mobster, guilty of 62 counts. Fred Perry wins Wimbledon men's singles. Assassination attempt on King Edward of England. Heat wave in US kill 3,000.

1936 August Swing dancing big in US. Spanish civil war heats up. Jesse Owens shines in Olympics in Berlin.

1936 September French explorer Jean Charcot and crew perish in ship-wreck. in Iceland. Mrs Beryl Markham, an English flier, is the first woman to cross the Atlantic alone.

1936 October Denver Zephyr sets long distance train speed record. Yankees win world series over the Giants. Britain orders 300 planes from US Boeing. Condor soldiers sent from Germany to help Nationalist rebels in Spain. In Moscow, Stalin says reports of his death are true and asks to be left in peace.

1936 November Roosevelt elected president for 2nd term. Oakland Bay bridge opens in California.

1936 December Axis is formed between Germany, Japan and Italy. Eugene ONeill wins Nobel Prize in Literature. Frank Lloyd Wright's home "Falling Water" is completed. Seven GM plants shut down by strikes. Edward VIII abdicates to marry divorcee. Mexico grants Trotsky political asylum.

I don't know what events Dale has created/edited for the next update, but I am really looking forward to having them in the game.

Events are amazingly easy to edit, especially the XML and text parts.

Since those XML events are random and could occur for any civ, its not practical to have "specific events" like the Joe Louis fights and such, but general stuff would be good. Using prerequistes such as religion or other variables, you can limit who is effected by the event.

What sort of stuff do you want to see events do? I would like to see events give more diplomatic opportunities, or influence the tech race.

What would others like to see?

Once I get the new update flying, I plan to tweak/edit the events to my preferences, change some of the text, change the odds, change the dynamics. It should be a lot of fun and add a lot to the game.

Dale,

Where are the text files for the XML random events? Are you relying on the BTS events text files?

I see the text file for the Python events in the xml\text folder.

If I wanted NEW text for the XML events, what would I call it and where would I put it. How do the XML triggers and events files know where to look for text info?

Thanks again for all the help.

Paasky posited:

...and the game will find them.

Oooh, like magic. I like it.

So if I put a file in the XML\Text folder called HamsterPoopTextNTurnips.xml that contains my tags, it will find them?

Top Bottom