Events for this great Mod

I was thinking about events for RtW, and it occurred to me a fun way to implement events would be to based them on fictional events -- i.e. there are many books / movies of historical fiction that have have many events --

(I am not sure if using these come under fair use copywrite laws, or if there would be legal issues --)

For example:
Winds of Wars by Herman Wouk --
Captain Henry wrotes letter describing German warpreparedness to Roosevelt. plus 1 hammer in cities with Naval Factories until war declaration
There could be others from Winds of War and War and Remembrance

There are looks of books and movies to draw on:
From Here to Eternity by James Jones (the whole triology)
Guns of Navarone and Force 10 from Navarone by Maclain
Mister Roberts (palm tree thrown off of ship, ship can carry 1 extra unit)
The Caine Mutiny -- Pacific typhoon sinks four destroyers, (of course that is real event, represented in book)
Where Eageles Dare --
many Jack Higgins Novels --
W. E. B. Griffin novels
and for the 1936 start, maybe even some Hemmingway
(Yes -- sadly my reading tastes are low brow -- but there you are --)

and of course -- Kelly's Heroes (when US troops in France, ragtag armor unit finds out about payroll gold, one US armor unit gets CR promotion)

or how about Dirty Dozen -- homocidal criminals attack German High Command -- impact of Great General removed (Great Instructor killed, or Ger General Unit is replaced with unit with 0 experience points)

In most cases the impacts of these events will be small, but fun

I leave it to other posters to come up with other ideas --

many of the bonuses could impact espionage --

Dale,

Are you working on Python events above and beyond what is in the Mod now? I am not saying you SHOULD, but I'd like to see more of them.

I have been trying to fumble my way around some python events but my knowledge of python is limited, and I have noticed that how events are written is pretty individual for Mod makers, such that how you programmed them is different from how others do them, in how you organize things and such. It makes "mixing and matching" of code very difficult. Do you have other mods out there that have python events that do more than DOWs and make peace? I'd like to see some examples of changing attitudes, adding culture or espionage points, stuff like that.

I appreciate any information you can share.

You might want to PM Solver your questions. He's the big event guy, writing new events and stuff. He was also heavily involved in testing them during dev of BtS.

Thanks.

Solver has addressed some of my python/events questions in the past, hopefully he will do so again. I posted my questions on another thread he started.

I'm having fun creating XML events, and once I get a few clues regarding the python stuff, I will create a few of those events too. And one day, I may even play the game again....<g>

So as of Release 1.1, do ALL scenarios have the random events files occurring?

If you want MORE FREQUENT events, go to the \assets\xml\globaldefines.xml file and look for:

<DefineName>EVENT_PROBABILITY_ROLL_SIDES</DefineName>
and change the
<iDefineIntVal>100</iDefineIntVal>
from 100 to some lower number, say 50 at the lowest for lots of events.

You may also want to alter the next tag
<DefineName>FIRST_EVENT_DELAY_TURNS</DefineName>

to some lower number, so events start happening sooner.

As I played the 1939 Europe scenario with Britain I found that knocking Italy out of the war is guite too difficult as the Americans were no help. They just invaded Agadir even I told them to invade Italian cities. It's very annoying to conquer the whole Balcans alone just to defeat Italy, especially when you have to fight against the Germans in Northern Italy the same time. I don't know how it would affect the games balance, but historically Italy joined the Allies in September 43. My suggestion is to implement an event like the Vichy-Event. It should occure after invading the Italian Mainland and capturing a few cities, let us say Southern Italy and Rome.

[WTN]Manhattan;6276358 said:
As I played the 1939 Europe scenario with Britain I found that knocking Italy out of the war is guite too difficult as the Americans were no help. They just invaded Agadir even I told them to invade Italian cities. It's very annoying to conquer the whole Balcans alone just to defeat Italy, especially when you have to fight against the Germans in Northern Italy the same time. I don't know how it would affect the games balance, but historically Italy joined the Allies in September 43. My suggestion is to implement an event like the Vichy-Event. It should occure after invading the Italian Mainland and capturing a few cities, let us say Southern Italy and Rome.

There is a easier way to work this out without changing anything but the way you play..

UK had cities in the med and 4 in the far west the way I play UK is.. uk mainland work on bombers/tanks etc ready for the start of the war while they work on the first round of fighting get the 4 cities in the far west (north of USA) working on units to defend the cities in the med after each unit is built airlift them over this way you get to keep most cities in the med ready for the push north and the uk mainland can attack germany aswell once you get into trying this out a few times you'll soon pick up on what works best.

also while italy joined the allies the italian army was still fighting for germany thus not helping the allies at all...

"3 Sept 1943 Italy surrenders Mussolini had been thrown out of office and the new government of Italy surrendered to the British and the USA. They then agreed to join the allies. The Germans took control of the Italian army, freed Mussolini from imprisonment and set him up as head of a puppet government in Northern Italy. This blocked any further allied advance through Italy."

http://www.historyonthenet.com/Chronology/timelinewwii.htm

Currahee!

Trigger 10 turns after paratrooper tech researched.
"A hard-training paratrooper unit is pushed 10 extra miles in training"
one paratrooper (preferably untrained) is given a level one 10% attack bonus. If none is unavailable, one paratrooper gets +2 xp. If none, get a free paratrooper at city with highest number of drill instructors (or capital).

Top Bottom