Evolving music through the ages

It's great.

Evolving music is great. One can listen as civs progress through time.

There should be filler music that is both era-related and region-related as well.

the modern (contemporary...) themes seem kind of uplifting so it will be strange to hear these while at war

I'm really loving the new music for the game. I can't wait to hear the entire soundtrack once the game releases (Deluxe Edition yeah!)

Though Tom there was laughably wrong when he said America's theme was to Civ VI what Baba Yetu is for Civ IV... :rolleyes:
I still want to hear Sogno de Volare!

The Information Age themes really took me by surprise - they sound really modern. We've heard Japan's Information age theme in the Firaxis livestreams, but I thought that was special for Japan's modern theme.
It really is a departure from Civ IV's Modern themes.

This is a really nice video, and I really love the music I've heard so far. Especially the American theme. That really is stunning, especially in the Medieval era.

English theme is once again awesome. American modern era one is kinda weird, not really liking it, feels out of place.

I'm not a music person, but I've gotta recognise that they have done a great job, at least judging by the themes in the video. I like the idea of evolving a base melody adding new instruments and adapting it to the era you play.

the modern (contemporary...) themes seem kind of uplifting so it will be strange to hear these while at war

Maybe there's a different variation for wartime?

English theme is once again awesome. American modern era one is kinda weird, not really liking it, feels out of place.
For me, The drum is good, maybe The best modern drum in Civ. It feels like burning your spirit. It is like in modern era it's truly "Hard Times Come Again No More."

Last edited:
It seems there won't be as much music as in Civ V. The themes will progress. Good thing. But they will repeat again and again. Bad thing. That is why, they mix the themes of civs you have met.

What's more, there is no war, peace, neutral music. No diplomacy music, also. Bad thing.

The music sounds great, though the modern era themes are a bit...melodramatic for my taste.

The music sounds great, though the modern era themes are a bit...melodramatic for my taste.
Melodramatic? That USA theme is super exciting!

I think the English and French themes are just melodramatic in general. Not that that's a problem; I like the variety

The idea is good. But we need a lot more music. More variety of each civ music. Currently, what we get is the variety of the same themes. It's a good thing for diplomacy music. But diplomacy music should not replace the game music.

So far I'm concerned that there's not a lot of variety, based on lets plays. It might be that there's not all the music included in that build, but why though. I got very tired of listening to the same tune. Even if it evolves, it doesn't really help it when you have to listen to it several times before it evolves. I'm not completely sure but there seems to be 1 additional tune playing in every era in addition to your civ tune that doesn't sound like any other civ tune. Maybe I'm imagining things, but there ought to be a few "universal" tunes in every era to play besides your evolving one.

Well, I'm not a fan of the modern American theme. If I play as America I'll probably mute the music once I get to the modern era. Hopefully the other modern themes aren't quite as trite.

More generally I like the idea of evolving themes, I'm just wondering whether or not it'll actually end up working. Hopefully we'll get enough variety to stop things getting boring like that. I loved the Civ V soundtrack due to its variety; hearing the same theme again and again through an entire playthrough with different variations might get rather stale.

I'm fairly sure that there's at least a number of different tracks for each civ with one being marked as a theme. In the Yogcast France playthrough (before the big embargo lifted) you could hear an unknown music that sounded quite French but didn't seem to be the same melody as the France had in the game (afaik).

So there may be 3-4 different tunes.

I really want war themes back as well.

Well, I really like how they handled this. The fact that each civ has its own soundtrack, which evolves through the eras. It is one of the features I actually requested a few years ago. I just hoped there would be more themes per civ.

Thus, hopefully, it will be easy to add your own music to each civ. It should be as easy as dragging files into a proper folder (no XML required).

Well, I really like how they handled this. The fact that each civ has its own soundtrack, which evolves through the eras. It is one of the features I actually requested a few years ago. I just hoped there would be more themes per civ.

Thus, hopefully, it will be easy to add your own music to each civ. It should be as easy as dragging files into a proper folder (no XML required).
Current and former national anthems could be included for each civ as well.

It would be interesting to hear La Marseillaise evolve from the ancient to the modern era.

Top Bottom