Exotic Foreign Advisor

Roland Johansen said:
I get the popup : " Failed to load python module CvEventInterface " when starting Civ 4 with the newest version 0.94

Maybe those help functions again?

Thank you for your time.

Darn it, yes.....

I had uncommented one of the help function calls to check something :p....

I'll post a new one up soon.

Req

This is not a bug or something that´s wrong, just a suggestion. It´s about the order of the screens. I think they could be put in this order, because I feel the actual one is a little bit random, or at least, I don´t see the pattern: RELATIONS - GLANCE - RESOURCES - TECHNOLOGIES - ACTIVE - INFO is the order I recommend.

And about the new column in the tech trade tab, could you put it at the end? Because I find it confusing in it´s actual place.

THX!

Great Mod work, K

Is there any thought to having arty bombard units without taking damage, as in city bombardment?

Jim

elhoim said:
This is not a bug or something that´s wrong, just a suggestion. It´s about the order of the screens. I think they could be put in this order, because I feel the actual one is a little bit random, or at least, I don´t see the pattern: RELATIONS - GLANCE - RESOURCES - TECHNOLOGIES - ACTIVE - INFO is the order I recommend.

And about the new column in the tech trade tab, could you put it at the end? Because I find it confusing in it´s actual place.

THX!

Ok, the reason I put the screen order the way I did is aesthetics. Having TECHNOLOGIES and RESOURCES (being the two longest words) near the shortest words of INFO and EXIT allows the bottom to look even.

OTOH, I can understand that aesthetics might not be as important as function in this case. So, I'd be willing to change it if a few other people feel that they'd rather have the functionality view.

The new column was put so that all the techs the other players can research are on one side while all the techs the other players have ALREADY researched are on the other.

I don't think it would make sense to put the "can research" column at the end, but I COULD put it in the beginning and still keep it split up the same way (and make the tradeable techs and g/turn closer to the tech that you can trade to the other players).

Would that be good?

Req

Requies said:
Ok, the reason I put the screen order the way I did is aesthetics. Having TECHNOLOGIES and RESOURCES (being the two longest words) near the shortest words of INFO and EXIT allows the bottom to look even.

Nice thought :) But...

Requies said:
OTOH, I can understand that aesthetics might not be as important as function in this case.

... I think that in this case the above statement is right.

Furthermore, the aesthetics in this case is strongly language-related, while functionality is, of course, universal. :rolleyes:
(I understand that the English-speaking players are the great majority, and that of course their "view" is much more important, and I absolutly don't complain about it. But maybe an "universal" criterium (if it's available, of course) is a best choice)

Requies said:
So, I'd be willing to change it if a few other people feel that they'd rather have the functionality view.

Here is one of those people :)
I suggest the following pattern:
RELATIONS - GLANCE - INFO - RESOURCES - TECHNOLOGIES - ACTIVE
but also the one suggested by Elhoim may be good (the only difference is the position of the INFO tab).
Maybe in some future release the order of the table will be made customizable by a simple editing of the file, so that everyone can choose its best pattern?

Requies said:
The new column was put so that all the techs the other players can research are on one side while all the techs the other players have ALREADY researched are on the other.
I don't think it would make sense to put the "can research" column at the end, but I COULD put it in the beginning and still keep it split up the same way (and make the tradeable techs and g/turn closer to the tech that you can trade to the other players).
Would that be good?

I think that this is a good solution, maybe the best one :)

Note for future releases: I've found the best (IMHO) Italian translation for "Glance" in that context: "Attitudine".

Cammagno said:
Nice thought :) But...

... I think that in this case the above statement is right.

Furthermore, the aesthetics in this case is strongly language-related, while functionality is, of course, universal. :rolleyes:
(I understand that the English-speaking players are the great majority, and that of course their "view" is much more important, and I absolutly don't complain about it. But maybe an "universal" criterium (if it's available, of course) is a best choice)

Here is one of those people :)
I suggest the following pattern:
RELATIONS - GLANCE - INFO - RESOURCES - TECHNOLOGIES - ACTIVE
but also the one suggested by Elhoim may be good (the only difference is the position of the INFO tab).
Maybe in some future release the order of the table will be made customizable by a simple editing of the file, so that everyone can choose its best pattern?

Oh, well, you can do that already now. Just change the order of self.ORDER_LIST. Yeah, I'll probably change it to your or elhoim's suggestion since that makes the most sense.

Cammagno said:
I think that this is a good solution, maybe the best one :)

Note for future releases: I've found the best (IMHO) Italian translation for "Glance" in that context: "Attitudine".

Ok, thanks, I'll change that too.

Req

Can someone explain to me the strategic concept behind the Can Research column? Because I can´t find any practical use for having that information... Can you give me some example in which the Can Research column defines my trading strategy?

THX!

elhoim said:
Can someone explain to me the strategic concept behind the Can Research column? Because I can´t find any practical use for having that information... Can you give me some example in which the Can Research column defines my trading strategy?

THX!

It's not so much trading strategy as in, oh crap, it looks like they have the possiblity of going for Liberalism (or Music or Feudalism or Economics or basically any tech where they get a boost for being the first or get a nice unit).

That's one of my main uses of seeing the Technology screen. I want to know when they're getting close to getting Feudalism and thus know when my last chance to dominate them with Praetorians is (or perhaps if you're more peaceful when to start researching Liberalism to get the free advance).

It might also be useful to figure out what techs you can trade that won't give them a new technology which they can research, but that's really of secondary concern, IMO.

Req

i have a question to the buttons on bottom line of screen

in my german version a have a problem with the positions

exit=verlassen
Technology=Technologien

both words are very long, so the technology button overlays the exit button

(glance = Flüchtiger Blick is also a problem)

for me i have change following line
Code:
self.DX_LINK = (self.X_EXIT - self.X_LINK) / len (self.SCREEN_DICT)
in this line
Code:
self.DX_LINK = [COLOR="Red"]([/COLOR](self.X_EXIT - self.X_LINK) / len (self.SCREEN_DICT)[COLOR="red"]) - 5[/COLOR]

perhaps it would be better if i could change the positions in the options, you have made, for every single button..cause i dont like to change some code... in every update i must do that :)
that means : i need options for every x-position of every button in this line

cause my english is not the best, i hope you have understand my wishes :)

Cammagno said:

You know, changing the English title of that pane to "Attitude" might be a good idea if that fits. I guess you're starting to get to the point where the word links across the bottom are a tight fit, but Attitude really describes the information better than Glance. I keep expecting the Glance pane to be a quick overall summary of everything (foreign advisor at a glance).

Put me down as supporting the idea of moving the Info pane. It doesn't matter much to me whether it's early or late in the order, but I do think that Active, Resources, and Technology should all be together somewhere, since they all relate directly to trading opportunities.

I always like when I start getting complaints about trivial little nits like this on my software, because I figure if that's the worst thing people can find to complain about, things must be working pretty well. ;)

terrasol said:
i have a question to the buttons on bottom line of screen

in my german version a have a problem with the positions

exit=verlassen
Technology=Technologien

both words are very long, so the technology button overlays the exit button

(glance = Flüchtiger Blick is also a problem)

for me i have change following line
Code:
self.DX_LINK = (self.X_EXIT - self.X_LINK) / len (self.SCREEN_DICT)
in this line
Code:
self.DX_LINK = [COLOR="Red"]([/COLOR](self.X_EXIT - self.X_LINK) / len (self.SCREEN_DICT)[COLOR="red"]) - 5[/COLOR]

perhaps it would be better if i could change the positions in the options, you have made, for every single button..cause i dont like to change some code... in every update i must do that :)
that means : i need options for every x-position of every button in this line

cause my english is not the best, i hope you have understand my wishes :)

Hmmmm, not really sure I understand it, but do you want some sort of option in-game? Or some config file? Or am I completely off?

Req

Dr Elmer Jiggle said:
You know, changing the English title of that pane to "Attitude" might be a good idea if that fits. I guess you're starting to get to the point where the word links across the bottom are a tight fit, but Attitude really describes the information better than Glance. I keep expecting the Glance pane to be a quick overall summary of everything (foreign advisor at a glance).

Heh, already implemented that.

Dr Elmer Jiggle said:
Put me down as supporting the idea of moving the Info pane. It doesn't matter much to me whether it's early or late in the order, but I do think that Active, Resources, and Technology should all be together somewhere, since they all relate directly to trading opportunities.

Yeah, I've already figured that it'd be better to do it by functionality.

Dr Elmer Jiggle said:
I always like when I start getting complaints about trivial little nits like this on my software, because I figure if that's the worst thing people can find to complain about, things must be working pretty well. ;)

Heh, I guess that's a good way of looking at it :goodjob:. Never really thought of it that way.

Req

Hey Requies I am adding your advisor into my Composite Mod... The Enhanced Foreign Advisor mod seems to have stopped getting developed so I switched to yours for my next version (released in a few days i hope)

Exavier said:
Hey Requies I am adding your advisor into my Composite Mod... The Enhanced Foreign Advisor mod seems to have stopped getting developed so I switched to yours for my next version (released in a few days i hope)

No problem. I'll make a couple of more tweaks and maybe one (or two) more feature, but it should be done by the end of next week.

Req

i try explain again

i think with 'self.DX_LINK' you calculate the space between the buttons, but this is a static value, for all spaces equal

because the german words are longer than the english words it would be better to have a changeable X-Position for every button, not a static space-value.. i give you a sreenshot from the german version without the modifacation i mentioned above

i hope than it is better to see, what i mean

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 344
terrasol said:
i try explain again

i think with 'self.DX_LINK' you calculate the space between the buttons, but this is a static value, for all spaces equal

because the german words are longer than the english words it would be better to have a changeable X-Position for every button, not a static space-value.. i give you a sreenshot from the german version without the modifacation i mentioned above

i hope than it is better to see, what i mean

Right, but changeable, in what way?

Req

i would like to have options for the x-positions of any button

for instance Info Xpos=20, techno Xpos=150...in this way

Top Bottom