Exotic Foreign Advisor

For those you you who want to run the Exotic Foreign Advisor (v0.95) with the Modified Special Domestic Advisor (v1.8e), it can be done.

I'm a fan of both these mods and was disappointed I couldn't use them both at the same time, after some trial and error I figured out how to make them work.

The clash appears to be because they both used the file DomPyHelpers.

What I did (Note: line numbers may differ):

- Install the Modified Special Domestic Advisor first
- Install the Exotic Foreign Advisor; DO NOT overwrite DomPyHelpers or CvScreensInterface
- Renamed the DomPyHelper file from the Exotic Foreign Advisor to ForPyHelper
- Edit the CvExoticForeignAdvisor file and change the following:
~line 19 - import DomPyHelpers --> import ForPyHelpers
~line 28 - PyPlayer = DomPyHelpers.DomPyPlayer --> PyPlayer = ForPyHelpers.DomPyPlayer
~line 29 - PyCity = DomPyHelpers.DomPyCity --> PyCity = ForPyHelpers.DomPyCity

- Using the Modified Special Domestic Advisor CvScreensInterface file as the base change the following:
~line 14 - import CvForeignAdvisor --> import CvExoticForeignAdvisor
~line 100 - foreignAdvisor = CvForeignAdvisor.CvForeignAdvisor() --> foreignAdvisor =

CvExoticForeignAdvisor.CvExoticForeignAdvisor()

- Edit CvScreensInterface and change the following:
~line 599 techChooser.updateTechRecords() --> techChooser.updateTechRecords(false)

Note: I have only tested this briefly through 1/2 a game so there may still be bugs.

I updated the mod fixing the tech screen bug! Check the post in page 8 or use the link in the first one!

Thanks dude, I like playing vanilla version, but their interface is a little simple and took too many clicks to figure out anything. This mod put them all in one place.

While trying to get this combined with MSDA with Civ4Modder, I noticed a lot of apparently stray changes in CvScreensInterface.py:

http://tdb.fi/~tdb/efa.diff

The DomPyHelpers file, on the other hand, can be resolved by adding the getStateReligion function to the one in MSDA and using that file for both mods. I'll be releasing a fixed version in Civ4Mod format in the near future, along with the next version of Civ4Modder.

On the 'Glance' page, the numbers don't correlate with those given by the mouse over. Why is that?

Edit: Added a screenshot of what I'm talking about. Notice the -8 doesn't equal what the mouse over menu shows? BTW, I'm using the version that comes with ruff hi's cobbled modpack.

The screen looks somewhat odd also... Are you playing in a scenario?

I just added this to Fall from Heaven 2. It is a huge improvement.

Thanks Elhoim and Requies!

Requies, great mod but just a quick question and I am sorry if someone has already asked you this, would it be possible to have what nations are trading with other nations resources wise?

Regards

Riker 13 :crazyeye:

Requies is not available, he hasn´t been for months now :sad:

Perhaps it might be possible to do, but I think that is out of the scope of the mod since there is no way to know it in the vanilla game. The purpose of the advisor is to show everything that can be seen in the game but in one easy place. It would be like the military advisor showing info on the enemy units that are hidden by the fog of war.

But I agree it would be nice to see both things with a spy enhanced mod! :D

When you mouse over the plusses and minusses in the relations between nations, then you can also see if and what they are trading with one another. So the information is available, but maybe just not as visible and clear as one would like.

Elhoim, so where has the creator gone?

A spy mod may do the trick you are right :)

And Roland I did not know that about the plus, I will try it out.

Thanks Guys

Riker13 :crazyeye:

About the creator, hi is MIA. He had release ready, but one day, without saying anything, he dissapeared. I think Firaxis bribed him to stop doing a better foreign advisor than theirs ;) j/k. But Firaxis should really implement this mod´s ideas...

Can someone explain the resource trading screen?
EDIT: Never mind, I saw a different picture in another thread and it was more clear (I could actually see what was happenning instead of "not connected to trade network"). I really like it. I think I will try it.

Found a bug in (some version) of the EFA. I do not know if anyone is keeping this project up to date, but someone reported this bug over in BetterAI and I tracked it down to this problem:

These are both called when the python Foreign Advisor is asking whether a player has the holy city for 'NO_RELIGION' (value is -1). This is a no-no, the code will crash if you pass in an invalid religion index. (Unlike, say getRelgionInfo which does a range check).

This is lines 331-334 of the CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py:
Code:
if (gc.getPlayer(iLoopPlayer).hasHolyCity (nPlayerReligion)):
	szPlayerReligion = u"%c" %(objReligion.getHolyCityChar())
elif objReligion:
	szPlayerReligion = u"%c" %(objReligion.getChar())

You need to add a check for no religion:
Code:
if (nPlayerReligion != -1): # -1 == NO_RELIGON
	if (gc.getPlayer(iLoopPlayer).hasHolyCity (nPlayerReligion)):
		szPlayerReligion = u"%c" %(objReligion.getHolyCityChar())
	elif objReligion:
		szPlayerReligion = u"%c" %(objReligion.getChar())

This fixes the assert and crash both.

Hope this helps,

-Iustus

I know you made one for Warlords, which I have, but you need to get ready to to make one for Beyond the Sword! Please get BtS ASAP and make the necessary changes! I hate the original!!!

Or, you could wait for the HoF Mod to be updated, which includes this mod.

I don't like mods that change gameplay. And this with probably be faster.

The HoF Mod doesn't change game play. If it did, it would go against the HoF Rules. Besides, all the included mods that come with the mod can be turned on or off in the Options Menu.

Edit: I apologize for the thread jack.

@ggganz (or anyone else who's interested): If you wish to continue this conversation, please PM me.

Top Bottom