Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Theov, Dec 12, 2014.
I've made it to produce a ship every 5 turns.
I've added the 'Prize Ship' ; an idea taken from the DyP mod.
When winning a battle with a Ship of the Line, Heavy Galleass or a Royal Galley, you have a 1/3 chance of enslaving the conquered ship creating a Prize Ship. This is a 0/0/4 ship with 3 transport, no nationality (so it will be captured if left unprotected). It's 150 shields, so you can disband it in a city to boost production. It's not a unit that can be built by anyone, only available by enslavement.
I added the 'Bombard' unit available with physics. It's an early cannon, that works like a Trebuchet (6 bombard) but with 2 salvos instead of 1.
I tried to add a 'Precision Missile'. A cruise missile with stealth attack ability (let's you pick the unit to attack). But I don't know if it's working yet. In Debug mode it didn't work as I wanted.
Maybe I make a string of 'monk' units that are available with the religious techs so you can turn units into culture (which adds to your real estate). But I don't think I'll make them workers. As worker slaves are without upkeep and can be kept around to do worker jobs.
I'd rather have them as 'zombies' and have them be useful mostly only as culture.
I have experimented now somewhat with Spies (Invisible, but no hidden nationality).
In my last game after I cut their resources the Russians switched their production to my surprise not to Guerrillas (most advanced no-resource unit) but to Spies.
And Ekaterina was using them quite clever. As my own frontline forces lacked Police Officers and Spies, she was able to slip some of her Spies past my armies into my backland and took undefended Thebae (not my capital, that was Wien ), ambushed two injured Cuirassier and cut of one iron mine (out of four ).
Guerillas could have created far less trouble to me.
Then I took an older savegame and placed via Civ3-Multitool some carthagian spies (KI) into Mayaland (also KI) and observed with recon planes if they cause an accidential war.
The Maya hunted down several Spies with Secret Agents (Invisible, hidden nationalty and autoproduced) and Pirates (hidden nationality) but not with regular units.
After about 20 rounds I gave up. The Maya did not stumble with workers or regular units into the carthagian Spies.
So I would say that, Spies will not cause accidential wars between two KI (at least not as often as one would expect ).
How about an Unmarked Cruise Missile instead? It is simply a more expensive Cruise Missile with hidden nationality and is quite useful for disrupting "friendly" supply lines. Both it and the offical Cruise Missiles can be loaded now into AEGIS Cruiser and Nuclear Submarines, as they are marked as "tactical missile".
I have tried to have the Palace autoproduce every 20 rounds a worker to boost the land improvement of the KI. The only effect was, that I was flooded by workers, while the KI seems to disband them even faster as soon as they went bankrupt (even with disabled Disband Button).
as far as i know u can't use "stealth" for bombarding. this is only for a direct attack.
I have a question:
when 'capturing' workers with the monk/priest they kill the worker, with a chance to enslavement, instead of capturing the worker, turning it into a slave like normal.
How does this happen??
- Moved the Heroic Epic towards Literature.
- Made Incense appear on the map with Mysticism.
- Shakespear's Theater makes 4 units content (instead of 8) and doubles the happiness of all Colosseums, and allows the city to grow beyond 12.
- Removed Printing Press (Communication trading happens with Democracy). The AI likes to spend many beakers on these Techs, while most players leave these as there are other priorities.
- Moved the Secret Police HQ to Communism (was under Espionage).
- Changed the Coastal Fortress into the Oriental Trading Company Small Wonder, available with Navigation. The OTC produces one extra commerce in every tile already producing one in the city and makes a Ship of the Line every five turns. 5 Harbors are required to make the OTC.
- Added a new Middle Ages worker animation
- Added the Fire Catapult (5/1/1 - taken from the Rome scenario, available with Iron Working - iron not needed)
- Added 'Kratos', the personification of power in Greek mythology (3/2/1 with ZoC, +1HP, no upkeep required)
Produced by the Statue of Zeus.
- The Ancient Cavalry is now available for everyone with Monarchy, he does not have +1HP anymore for game balance reasons.
- Added the 'Crusader Knight' (4/2/2). New unit is produced by the Knights Templar. (A Medieval Infantry, but twice as fast)
- Crusader is now available for everyone after Theology.
- Added the Black Pearl (4/3/5 with Hidden Nationality for obvious reasons, available with Navigation)
- Added the Machine Gunner, a 8/6/1 unit available with Steel.
Complete change log is now in the first post.
- The Oriental Trading Company as a Small Wonder. It makes a Ship of the Line every 5 turns. And is similar to the Colossus Wonder (adds commerce to the city). Available with Navigation. 5 Harbors required.
- Winery: +50%Lux, must have wines in the city radius. 100 shields, 2 maint, 1 culture. Pottery, granary is required.
- Amphitheatre: +50%Lux, +1 . 100 shields, 1 maint, 3 culture. Philosophy.
- Brothel: Reduces War Weariness. 70 shields, 1 maint. Polytheism.
- Blacksmith: +25% shields in city. 80 shields, must have Iron in city radius. Obsolete with Steam Power.
- Supermarket: +50%Lux + 2 . 200 shields, 2 maint. Electricity, marketplace required.
Added Small Wonders:
- National Railway. +1 in all cities, Steam power. Coal required in city.
- Assembly Line. Half unit upgrades. Mass Production. Iron required in city.
Added Great Wonders:
- Olympic Games. Doubles effects of Colosseums. Tourist attraction. Nationalism.
- Theory of Relativity. Grants two Civilization Advances. Grants any Advance known by 2 others. Fission.
If you'd like to beta test this mod, send me your email address this week. I'll send the download link.
Added Culture Group unique units and Improvements:
Changed the popheads a bit for clarity on who's who (yes, that's Elvis).
The shades of green will turn into the civ-specific color, so you know what nationality the population is.
Or, if you think this one is clearer:
thanks to Civrules for the specialists icons (made the icons a bit smaller though) Jorsalfare for the Civ specific colors and han_solo for the other happiness icons.
- Cordy's irrigation
- Sn00py's cities that I changed a little (notice the difference between cities on plains and on grassland), with M_M_X's ruins.
- notice on the screenshot the slave (original) but also Plotinus' medieval worker and the Engineer (Utahjazz's Pietone) who can only build roads, but at 150% speed and 2 defense.
And YES thanks to Il Mafioso and Eugenevdebs, Elvis is the Cultural advisor and Entertainer again.
I'll be going to finalize this mod soon.
It ended up how I wanted it to be; like civ3, but with some additions and some features that I wanted to add (like Elephants and piracy ships.)
People who want to test it, send me a PM.
I forgot I was even subscribed to this thread. I'll send you a PM to test it.
Why is Spain shifted to Mediterranean but Portugal still European?
Because I added Austria for Sumeria, and wanted a european civ to another culture group for balance.
So I took a good look at the map...
As Spain has three times more coast to the Mediterran Sea then to the Atlantic, this is fitting in my eyes.
But why have you put swiss cities in the german city list?
And I am surprised that you have enlarged the dutch city list, but did not correct the spelling of Den Haag (and you are dutch yourself, Sir)
I must see, then I find some time to play.
I expanded the city lists of Civilizations that had few cities. Japan comes to mind and some others. Did I add Swiss cities to Germany? I think because I'd rather see important cities in this game than small towns. Yes, I know the Swiss aren't German, but I had to honor them [somewhere]. Maybe I'll add them to the Austrians.
I've added the Flemish (Dutch talking) cities of Belgium to the Netherlands.
I added the french speaking cities of Belgium (Wallonians) to the French.
Why? Because I'd rather add historically important cities like Antwerp to the game than created-from-the-depths-of-mankind towns like Oss or Urk.
Den Haag is still called 'the Hague' because I tried to keep the English spelling where possible, since the whole game is in English. I didn't go into detail here, just added some cities where I thought it was necessary.
Don't break your head on it, it probably means nothing
Cool, tell me what you think.
I made spices become available with Currency and furs available with Navigation. It makes the game more dynamic.
I've changed the ancient era a little bit - Map Making costs now 8 instead of 12, but added is Ship Building (5) and Piracy (5). (see below)
I made the Black Pearl invisible, only a Ship of the Line, a Frigate and another Black Pearl can spot it. (and some modern ships). I'll see how that goes.
I'm planning to make a land-based wonder like the colossus, maybe the Statue of Liberty, or a bit earlier, Petra.
I also want to add a cheap early city improvement that only generates a little culture.
Added some graphics, a new gov, some sounds, a watermill.
C IV solved the "cheap early culture building" issue with a Monument... like, 10 or 20s, 1 or 2 cpt, no maintenance... just like walls?
Ah yes, I have made a Brewery (20 shields, no maintenance, 2 culture). I thought it was a little less boring than a monument.
And besides, nobody builds a monument; something becomes it.
I have since added a Watermill (river required, +25% production) and a Statue of Liberty; Government unique building of Libertarianism which produces dragons that can shoot nukes... or, wait. Maybe that was something else.
I have put the mod online here:
Separate names with a comma.