Experience Points and Leveling

agoodfella

Prince
I can't figure it out. I've watched one of my units closely who has engaged in a number of fights successfully, but his XP and Levels don't seem to budge.

Can this be right? What is the formula exactly?

Thanks

XP against barbs is capped at 10

other than that, you get atleast 1 XP, more if you have worse odds (actually the strength ratio matters, but odds is close enough)

the required XP for a level is based on the following formula: (level^2 + 1)
so its 2 5 10 17 26 37....
of course 25% less for Charismatic leaders

And XP against animals is capped at 5;
and after you upgrade your unit you will have only 10 XP accumulated*, but you retain all your promotions.

* Unless a Great General is attached, in which case you retain all your XP (and your upgrade costs zero gold).

the required XP for a level is based on the following formula: (level^2 + 1)
so its 2 5 10 17 26 37....

That is handy to know. I thought it was an additive series of odd numbers, but didn't know how they programmed it.

3+2=5
5+5=10
7+10=17
9+17=26
11+26=37
etc

That is handy to know. I thought it was an additive series of odd numbers, but didn't know how they programmed it.

3+2=5
5+5=10
7+10=17
9+17=26
11+26=37
etc

It's the same:

The difference between successive numbers in the x^2+1 sequence is:
((x+1)^2+1)-(x^2+1)=2x+1
which gives you your additive sequence.

^ I recognized that after seeing the formula. I was commenting on a different method I used to track the exp needed. When using a GG I only have to do quick, simple arithmetic to figure out what the final level will be; the formula requires more math, but less memorization. It is also nicer for coding purposes.

Hello everyone,

On a related question, I'm trying to cultivate a unit up to "level 6" to qualify my civilization for West Point. Does that mean six promotions on the unit, acquired by any means? Does it mean a hard and fast number of experience points?

I started my 'West Point' unit as a Quenca (I think) which begins life with a 'star' promotion. Will that initial promotion count as a 'level' for the purposes of qualifying for building West Point?

Hello everyone,

On a related question, I'm trying to cultivate a unit up to "level 6" to qualify my civilization for West Point. Does that mean six promotions on the unit, acquired by any means? Does it mean a hard and fast number of experience points?

I started my 'West Point' unit as a Quenca (I think) which begins life with a 'star' promotion. Will that initial promotion count as a 'level' for the purposes of qualifying for building West Point?

You need a level 6 unit which requires 26 XP. If you put a GG on a single unit it adds 20 XP immediately. If you have a 10 XP unit, it would be the level 6 unit you need for West Point.

@ ditchhook

Free promotions do not count as an experience level. So the Quechua would have to get to Level 6 not just Level 5 to qualify for building West Point.

For west point, I usually have at least a few units with 16+ xp, so I use the GG on 2 or more of them to spread it out more while still getting the necessary 26xp.

The formula for XP gained in a single battle, by the way, is 4/R when attacking and 2/R when defending, rounded down to the nearest integer with a minimum of 1. R is the ratio of your unit's effective strength to the enemy unit's effective strength. Note that it's effective strength, meaning after the modifiers are taken into account (it's the number displayed for each unit when you hover over the enemy to check your odds). So winning an even battle gives you 4 XP, and winning, say, a 10 vs. 5 battle gives you 2 XP. Note that first strikes don't alter your unit's effective strength, so the Drill line of promotions can give you an advantage in a battle without reducing the XP you gain from it.

Top Bottom