Extract 3D Models for Printing

LordBlackHand

Chieftain
This isn't quite the right subforum here, I know, but this is the closest I was able to find.

I'm looking to extract models of the leaders to 3D print, especially if I can pick different poses/stances, for use in making a chess set with the various leaders as the kings/queens.

I've tried following the terse tutorials on using CivNexus6, but have been unable to even get it to launch (Win 10 Ent), let alone to do anything. Furthermore, all the tutorials and information I've seen on this are geared more towards using it and Blender to create and/or modify characters, not produce static models (i.e. .stl).

How can I extract models to 3D Print?

I'm looking to extract models of the leaders to 3D print, especially if I can pick different poses/stances, for use in making a chess set with the various leaders as the kings/queens.

I've tried following the terse tutorials on using CivNexus6, but have been unable to even get it to launch (Win 10 Ent), let alone to do anything. Furthermore, all the tutorials and information I've seen on this are geared more towards using it and Blender to create and/or modify characters, not produce static models (i.e. .stl).

How can I extract models to 3D Print?

CivNexus6 is the only way. I run Windows 10 and it works for me. Have you followed the following steps?

Installation
In order to run CivNexus6 you need to perform the following steps:
1) Create a folder called "Dummy" somewhere on your hard drive. Within it create two folders one called "Assets" (plural) and one called "Resource" (singular).
2) Now using Regedit create an entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Tools called "ToolAssetPath". Set the value to the location of your Dummy directory. You will need to create the ..\Firaxis\Tools folder if it does not exist.
3) Now you should be able to run the CivNexus6 executable from wherever you have unzipped it.

You can export both model and animation to Blender so you would be able to bake a particular pose and export to *.stl just fine I reckon.

Ok, I apparently mis-typed something when putting in the registry entries; now the program opens.

However, I don't know where to find the assets... I have never seen an explanation for that.

You need to get the Civ 6 SDK Assets as they include the geometry files *.fgx.

You need to get the Civ 6 SDK Assets as they include the geometry files *.fgx.

Ahhhh that works much better.

However, I now have a *weird* problem: some pieces are missing.

Dido's legs (but not her flip flops!), Kristina's hair, Eleanor's hair, Catherine's hair, Gorgo's hair and feet, Theodore below the kneecaps and his hair, etc... Do you have any idea why that would be?

I used the fgxviewer and Load Models Only (or Load File; doesn't matter which) the Geometries/LEAD_PHOE_Dido.fgx and Load Animations Only Animations/LEAD_PHOE_Dido_Happy_Positive_A.fgx and have it play the animation. It animates just fine, including moving her flipflops, but her legs aren't there.

In Dido's case, the Mesh List has (all prefixed with LEAD_PHOE_Dido_) Hair_Cap2Shape, EyesShape, CorneaShape, TeethShape, ClothesShape, SkinShape, but that's it - no legs.

Thanks again for your help - I know my questions are very basic for this forum, but I really appreciate the help.

1. For Civ VI Leaders hair and fur etc is created by WIG files that cannot be extracted or created as far as I know. If you want Leaders with hair you'd be better off extracting the Civ 5 models.
2. Some Leaders don't have knees and feet because they are not visible in game.

Top Bottom