Extreme2

tchristensen

Emperor
Extreme2

Latest Version (Version 4): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54389782/Extreme2.7z

NEW VERSION
Extreme2 V4.0 with dozens of new units, technologies, buildings, tweaks, enhancements.

A new version is available that adds new mid game units to the game. As of September 17th 2011 version 4 is the latest iteration. Many rule fixes have been implemented as well, mainly moving away from the need of specific resources to gaining a bonus in production speed with control of resources -- this is in stark polarity to Multiverse which requires you to control resources.

Not be be confused with my earlier project ExtremeMod, this is the newest build as of August 7th of 2011. This mod is based on the last known update of the Thomas War Mod with animated leaders and bug fixes. From that point I went through and added more than a dozen techs and dozens of new units, mostly Unique Units and Unique Buildings. I also added more than fifteen new Bonus Resources and recompiled the way improvements are made. I added two new pathing systems: Paths and Sealanes (both brought over from ExtremeMod) with the latter ocean transit system having a new graphic.

At this point the mod is just so huge I cannot test all the different cultures with all the different UUs and UBs – It seems very stable, but I have not played all variations possible. There should be at least three Unique Units for almost every civilization, and sometimes two Unique Buildings.

Future installments of Extreme2 will add a 4th UU and 3rd UB to most civilizations as well as new tech.

As a basis for all computer AI, I have made Adolph Hitler unplayable and subsequently given him some extra capabilities to be a worthy adversary. I suggest playing on NOBLE difficulty, while letting the AI play on WARLORD.

# of Cultures: 82
# Cultural Leaders: 149
# Resources: 66
# of Path Types: 5 (paths, roads, roman roads, railroads, sealanes)
# of NEW Techs:40+

In my haste to get this out, I inadvertently had a very old credit .txt giving credit to all the amazing artists and programmers from which I borrowed pieces for my mod. I had added this thread to make sure I give due credit to all these awesome people:

Thomas War mod design
Bakuel
Ekmek
Walter Hawkwood
Ambrox 62
Kathy
Saibotlieh
Woodelf
Chuggi
Bernie14
Danrell
Chamaedrys
C.Roland
Lord Tirian

Mega says file unavailable.

JosEPh

I had this issue that last time I released a mod. After exchanging email with the site, it was confirmed that it was nothing more than too many people were trying to pull down the file.

I have created another site for the download -- use whichever one seems to be the fastest!

Working on that now!

Troy

Have played up to 744AD on Continents map, Huge, 7AI, Noble, and have experienced no problems in game play. Many cool features, I like the art for the Bogs and the skeleton on the desert tiles. ;)

I do have 1 question: Paths give 1 gold to tile improvements but roads take away the 1 gold in exchange for 1 hammer or 1 food. Is this intentional?

If so, then my strategy is to build only paths early game for the 1 gold so that I can keep pace with research and expansion. Otherwise I really have to hold back on building new cities or my research rate plummets to 10%.

I do lead this game so far. But I have pushed the limits hard on Gold and research. I've had to endure several turns with 0% research because of the Gold costs for tile improvements. Or I've even had to disband some military units so I can get that mine, lumberyard, or farm built.

I see the culmination of several of the bigger mods all rolled up into this one with Fun twists here and there.

All in all I give this Mod a Big :thumbsup: !

JosEPh :)

I do have 1 question: Paths give 1 gold to tile improvements but roads take away the 1 gold in exchange for 1 hammer or 1 food. Is this intentional?

If so, then my strategy is to build only paths early game for the 1 gold so that I can keep pace with research and expansion. Otherwise I really have to hold back on building new cities or my research rate plummets to 10%.

I do lead this game so far. But I have pushed the limits hard on Gold and research. I've had to endure several turns with 0% research because of the Gold costs for tile improvements. Or I've even had to disband some military units so I can get that mine, lumberyard, or farm built.

I see the culmination of several of the bigger mods all rolled up into this one with Fun twists here and there.

All in all I give this Mod a Big :thumbsup: !

Hey, thanks for the compliments -- every time I work on a new mod, I learn from the past and just recombine all the aspects. With that said, Extreme2 is still in its infancy but is based on what I learned from Thomas' War mod, ExtremeMod, and my unrleased mod Ages of Discovery.

To answer your question about the various transit system, I did make the paths intentionally worth gold and the roads worth hammers. I wanted to create a system where it was logical to have the two different systems in the game, rather than one simply replacing the other. For those that play with automated workers, I guess this could be a problem, but having hammers over gold for the most part is always better. I am still toying with this concept and am not against changing it, but I just wanted something interesting and "strategic" when it came to building the roads.

I am also toying with the aggressiveness and the overall AI of the other culturals -- I have a friend who is so good at playing the game I often make the AI too good and that makes it difficult for others to enjoy it -- it is rather strange for him to be hundreds of points higher than me, yet I am the one who made the mod?!?! :crazyeye::crazyeye:

I am glad you like the mod!

Troy

Just a thought/suggestion for Jungle tiles, have you looked at Vincentz VIP mod and his Jungle Camp tile improvement? It was incorporated into Rise of Mankind and A New Dawn and vastly improved the usage for Jungle tiles instead of having the AI and Player chop all the Jungle down. It might give you some ideas.

here is a challenge for those who play the game: What civilization and leader did you play? What leaders proved to be the most challenging - and which UU or UB did you find interesting, valuable, or worthless?

Still playing 1st game, picked Israel and David.

Cesspit is very valuable to avoid early plague. Didn't use Slingers much. Maccabees seem a point under powered at 5 strength compared to barbarians light sword at 6 points.

Some really interesting Wonders, both National and World you have in the game. :cool:

Even though I lead in this game I struggled mightly with the economy until I got markets. I couldn't get enough Gold to get research up to 30%. Even now at 900AD with market , grocer, and banks I'm only running at 40% for research with a gold balance of ~1200 and 150 gold/turn. Converting from Paths to Roads has been a carefully considered point for each tile. And it made me very leery of the Wonder that gives Roman roads. I didn't get it because I didn't want my economy to tank. Feared it would take too much gold away at initial start. Probably bad reasoning there. The weakest AI got it though and I don't see his empire overflowing with Gold. Will have to try it out next game.

New question: will other maps work with this mod?

You only have 4 in the Maps Folder and I like to play Archipelago and Lakes. Would I be able to add these from the Basic BtS map set?

I would think the Archipelago map would work, but unsure of the Lakes. I was having issues with many of the maps not distributing resources correctly -- some just would not create certain ones.

Please try a few and let me know.

I will be adding more in the future as time permits me to test them more thoroughly.

3 things to be fixed or reconsidered:
1. Sailing III: Gives a free Destroyer. The Destroyer does you no good if it's given to a landlocked city. :p
2. Sailing III: Too big of a tech jump from Galleons and Frigates to Destroyers and BBs (What happened to Iron Frigates and Man O Wars?)
3. Railroads: Why do they take 1 food away from Farms? As I build my railroads to connect my cities I'm now going into starvation in my major cities. Giving Gold for Path to a Farm was okay. So was Taking 1 gold and giving 1 food to a Farm for Road(although I chafed over losing that 1 gold). But taking 1 food because of railroad and giving nothing in return? That seems counter-intuitive. Maybe something was overlooked?

Longbow vs the world, (well at least Rifleman, Grenadier, Cavalry, and Cannon) for a 6 strength unit the AI uses the Heck out of 'em. And actually more effectively than I've experienced before. Cannon should be more effective against them both in the open field and in city sieges. As should the other 3 mentioned units. The AI seems to prefer the LB over the Crossbow too. They will have a city fortified with multiple LB and no CB. Hmmm......

Enjoying the Mod and having Fun. Just thought I should give some feedback. Hope it's constructive.

3 things to be fixed or reconsidered:
1. Sailing III: Gives a free Destroyer. The Destroyer does you no good if it's given to a landlocked city. :p
2. Sailing III: Too big of a tech jump from Galleons and Frigates to Destroyers and BBs (What happened to Iron Frigates and Man O Wars?)
3. Railroads: Why do they take 1 food away from Farms? As I build my railroads to connect my cities I'm now going into starvation in my major cities. Giving Gold for Path to a Farm was okay. So was Taking 1 gold and giving 1 food to a Farm for Road(although I chafed over losing that 1 gold). But taking 1 food because of railroad and giving nothing in return? That seems counter-intuitive. Maybe something was overlooked?

Longbow vs the world, (well at least Rifleman, Grenadier, Cavalry, and Cannon) for a 6 strength unit the AI uses the Heck out of 'em. And actually more effectively than I've experienced before. Cannon should be more effective against them both in the open field and in city sieges. As should the other 3 mentioned units. The AI seems to prefer the LB over the Crossbow too. They will have a city fortified with multiple LB and no CB. Hmmm......

Enjoying the Mod and having Fun. Just thought I should give some feedback. Hope it's constructive.

Thanks for the great feedback, this is exactly what I am looking for.

I am at work at this time, but when I get home I will definitely need to look at the Sailing III tech. The intention was not to trivialize the Galleons or MoWs -- I will verify, but the latter Sailing tech requires additional technologies to build the frigates, cruisers, and battleships. If not, that will be corrected. The Sailing III was more to keep the line going, than to have it shift off to more of a mapping technology (such as with compass, astronomy...that line of techs).

Railroads will be fixed next -- they will have the combination of both roads and paths; basically +1 gold and +1 hammer (or +1 food in the case of food resources).

Will need to play balance that Longbow a bit more -- maybe ratcheting up the production cost of them, and perhaps giving more of an attack bonus from siege/artillery units.

All in all, a great number of catches.

Thanks!

Railroads also take hammers, food, and gold from Mines, Cottages, Windmills, etc., just to reiterate.

Maybe a small railroad patch by this weekend?

:)

JosEPh

I was really enjoying this mod and found it impressive until turn 400 when I ended my turn and it just kept clocking "Waiting for other civilizations...". So, I killed the program and re-opened it and found an auto-save from a few turns before and breezed through those until, bam!, turn 400 again. From what I googled it looks like this is due to a "bad tile" *somewhere* in the map that one of the computer players is running into causing a couple of functions() trying to call each other back and forth creating an infinite loop.

Also, I noticed when I do an "About this Build..." the mod reports "Civ Version = 317; Save Version = 301; and Build Version = 3.1.9.0 (128100)" but when I open just Civ IV BTS without loading this mod it reports "Civ Version = 319; Save Version = 302; and Build Version 3.1.9.0 (128100)" Not sure if this implies the mod is based on a slightly older patch/update of BTS?

Top Bottom