F^4 - As a GOTM Player, what Civ Feature would you remove?

alamo

bang!
This question is intended primarily for players who play in the GOTM games.

From the perspective of a GOTM player: If you could permanently remove a feature from Civ3 what would it be and why?

Poofing troops. Flippin is lippin but poofing is an air ball. I can see this if its Shaka, cause they eat people but Joanie wouldn't cause she ain't a real witch. So, where do they go. The recycle bin?

For each action there has to be an equal reaction so I theorize that in another dimension they show up at frat parties and union meetings. I mean what did Soren think, that we would not notice the loss of 34 horsemen?

I just leave them to stew and grit their teeth. In one of my present games I have conquered six civs and have moved to the seventh but I still have resisters in the cities of the third civ I overran. I am not sending troops in there. I would like to send Soren in there and see if he poofed. Maybe he would like some of his own medicine.

We can only pick one? :)

My first choice would be great leaders - they're silly. (They could be improved, but changing isn't an option here!)

But there are several other things I'd love to have removed or somewhat modified: upgrading, resources disappearing, potential RoP abuse, etc.

-Sirp.

Governors. Improve them or remove them.

Pollution and global warming. It's too tedious in the late game, and the AI never has enough workers to clean up their own pollution anyways.

Leaders, probably. Because the random factor of when they appear is so large, and also because milking weak enemies for leaders is pretty artificial.

(Perhaps there should be some other way to build the Forbidden Palace, if there's no leader, though. Or perhaps it would just force more compact kingdoms, instead of the dumbbell shape.)

I'd also like surplus food and shields to carry over, instead of being lost, to reduce micromanagement, but I think that's more like adding a feature than removing one.

I'd also like changes to how culture flips work, although they don't need to be eliminated. Distance from the capital should add or subtract, not just divide the probability, so that if a city is very close to my capital and far from my opponent, it will never flip away from me, or has a good chance to flip to me.

I'll get ridiculed for saying this, but I'd remove ALL the great wonders. I particularly think that Pyramids, TOE and the internet are exploitative out of all proportion to their cost. Furthermore they are one of the reasons the AI play so badly on all but deity level.

Wonders are also the main reason that leaders are a joke. A civ can put huge effort into building a wonder, compromising all kinds of aspects of the game only to be beaten to it by a lucky leader. Without wonders leaders could only build armies, which have limited advantages.

I think I can safely say I'm on my own with this opinion...:)

I'd do away with the possibilities of a very early AI rush, which on higher levels can decimate your chances of playing a succesful game. Thankfully, I haven't encountered this in the GotM yet, but I lost tournament game 4-2 in 2850 BC due to an early AI rush.

Also, I'm totally with removing pollution from the game, it doesn't do anything but irritate late in the game, especially with a non-industrious civ.

Corruption!

I hate the way corruption is at the moment. I just find it too extreme. I can deal with it but it's such a bore.

Ted

Originally posted by DaviddesJ
Leaders, probably. Because the random factor of when they appear is so large.

Leaders are good , the really annoying fact is the random factor:cry: .

Ressources moving is weird. I could understand that the ressource could disappear because of extensive exploitation and that you would need to find more however this random effect is irrating.

If we go that way we could have sizeable ressource allowing a production of limited units and then you could have workers digging / searching to find more ressource
This solution could become quite tricky as to produce a spear / battleship you need different amounts of iron :confused:

Corruption is a way to reduce the effect of having a large empire giving you a definitive edge over the others. With corruption, you need a sizeable empire to win and not the biggest.

Leader production rushing -- I think they ought to lead!

Of course the way armies are done in this game is still missing a few bits, but that's another matter.

My first choice would be Diplomatic Wins !!!! It is so frustrating building your empire, leading in score and just becasue you do not build the UN, the AI does , calls a vote and then everything is over in an instant :mad:

God do I hate that - unless they voted for me, that is.

2nd choice - Corruption - also very annoying. Los Angeles seems to be doing just fine, way over there away from DC.

Well, since I started the thread I guess I should post ;)

My pet peve is the 'teleport' when you demand trespassers to get out. They should go back to the capital, not zap across the continent to my personal reserve.

Corruption and diplo wins can be reduced/changed by options/editors.

Don't take away the leaders - not that I've gotten one in a GOTM recently. :cry:

Leaders are ok in my book. Could probably be handeled better.
More annoying to me is the randomness of strategic resources dissapearing. I like CDB's idea..or something along those lines.

Since I'm a former dairy farmer, I have to say "Pollution". Either give us better tool to manage them or to remove them.

I'd change leaders to add 200 shields to any project they helped. I think individuals get somewhat less important and influential as time goes on. Would be a great deal in the early ages, but tail off as time goes on... possibly enhance armies to gain more benefits, 2 square viewing distance for example.

The randomness point is also an issue... but not sure how that could be fixed. Fished for 5340 years (not that I was counting!), with several wars in a certain recent game to get my very first leader :( Then got another one two turns later :rolleyes:

I never seem to get them, thus in the higher levels I almost never get any wonders. I don't mind them for armies, but they are too random to make any sense. I think thats the point, in that they can give you a great jump when least expected, but....

I also dislike how the corruption, maybe adding more than one FP, but having the price go up each time would work out in some way.

True, one can turn off Dip wins, but not in the GOTM. Cracker would be mad at me:mad:

So, a function that I cannot change, that I wished was different, is the ability to upgrade the units in my armies.

First : I like leaders, to me they are a fun element. The only thing against them is that they are random. In a 1 player that isn't a problem, but in a GOTM it can be.

What I want to change: Ships. It appalls me that in the real world Magellen could circumnavigate the world in a couple years, where in Civ it takes 300+.

I'd remove the limitation of workable land per city, its far too artificial and might become a much more engaging game if the culture boundaries actually meant something more than nothing.

Other things high on the list is leaders but not completely remove the rushing, maybe reduce it to 100 or 200 shields only. I agree with jeff about the ships, but there are far more problems than just movement needed to fix the naval elements.

Top Bottom