TSG 237 Announcement

Nizef

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 237
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ //////////////////////////////////////
Welcome to the 237th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series allows new and old Civilization V fans to try out many features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

MUST READ!
Our most sacred rule: Do not replay any turns!
If you make a mistake, accept it, and try to recover through game-play. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to "1 turn". In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous autosave, then play on the same way you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.
TSG237 Details:
Game Settings:
Player (You): Oda Nobunaga - Japan
Victory Condition: Science
(but all VCs are enabled)
Difficulty: Prince
Map Type/Size: Tiny Islands / Large
(10 Civs, 20 City-States)
Pace: Standard
Your Unique Characteristics:
UA: Bushido:
All units fight with full strength even when they are wounded, +1 culture from Fishing boats and +2 culture from Atolls.
UU: Samurai (Longswordsman): +15% combat strength in open terrain, increased contribution to Great General generation, can construct Workboats while embarked.
UU: Zero (Fighter). +33% combat strength against other fighters, does NOT require oil.
Required DLC: All DLCs.
Starting Era: Ancient
Required game options: None
Enabled game options: Quick Combat, Quick Movement
(You may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Here is where you will start:
TSG237start.jpg

The start file is attached below.

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG - Must Read if you are new to the Game of the Month!

Please note:

Spoiler :

If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don't be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don't post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
Spoiler :

We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.
This game runs through February 15th 2024.

@The_J @Blake00

Attachments​

Attachments

• TSG237_Start.Civ5Save
    609.1 KB · Views: 98
Wow those are some weird traits. Culture from atolls, and a Longswordman that builds fishing boats? LOL...

Since we're Japan, I'm wondering if I'd rather go domination again. Just to let off some steam after the pounding I got from several unsuccessful attempts at the Deity Xmas challenge... hehe... science at prince feels kind of boring to me, been there done that too many times...

Last edited:
What a huge amount of islands there will be. The samurai seems like a fun unit but coming woefully late.

Since we're Japan, I'm wondering if I'd rather go domination again. Just to let off some steam after the pounding I got from several unsuccessful attempts at the Deity Xmas challenge... hehe... science at prince feels kind of boring to me, been there done that too many times...
The main idea is of course to have fun and thus you should go in any direction you want. However, I want to remind you that only Science wins will be recorded for GotM. And as a teaser: there will be at least 8 opportunities to go for Domination in GotM this year!

I agree with the others, Japan is surely a weird civ. But I kind of like them. I wonder what the difference between tiny islands and archipelago is? Maybe more ocean separating the tiny islands?

Well I think the plan will be to get to Sailing ASAP and concentrate on the top row in the Tech tree as needed to explore as fast as possible. That way I can found many, many cities on all the tiny islands I find; and on Prince, happiness shouldn't be an issue.

As for the start, looks good even though only one Lux is showing. I'll move the warrior to the Sheep to see if anything else is down that way. If not, I'll move to the NW Silver to get the Bananas in range. Hmm, the NE Silver has the Bananas in range too, but lose the fish and fish are important for Japan.

Get iron working and use swordsmen to hunt late goody huts for the upgrade

That's a great idea. On tiny islands there should be lots of late goody huts to find.

I agree with the others, Japan is surely a weird civ. But I kind of like them. I wonder what the difference between tiny islands and archipelago is? Maybe more ocean separating the tiny islands?
Archipelagos would be clusters of islands. These are spread out more randomly.

Get iron working and use swordsmen to hunt late goody huts for the upgrade
Was just thinking; is there a downside to upgrading to Samauri vs. building one? I remember reading that sometimes it can be different. For example do you get to keep this when you upgrade to them:

Positive keep-on-upgrade changes

• 15% combat bonus in open terrain (Shock I)
  • 100% increased contribution to Great General generation (Great Generals II)

Was just thinking; is there a downside to upgrading to Samauri vs. building one? I remember reading that sometimes it can be different. For example do you get to keep this when you upgrade to them:

Positive keep-on-upgrade changes

• 15% combat bonus in open terrain (Shock I)
  • 100% increased contribution to Great General generation (Great Generals II)
These are upgrades that the Samurai has, and it keeps them when upgrading to a Musketman. But the Musketman can't build fishing boats according to this fine article.

After quest for glory #5 I'm finally gonna start this one.
I see not that many great growth tiles. Maybe move settler one NW to the coastal river silver hill. It will also get the banana's.
Have to get cargo ships running fast.
I'm not sure yet if I will focus on sailing first or national college.
Also not sure about liberty vs tradition.

Top Bottom