Fairy Tale

I definitely remember New Horizons! It was actually "Uncharted Water 2: New Horizons", and I actually played the first one as well. Too bad KOEI didn't produce the rest of the series in English.

For some reason, I've never played Total War series as well, though I've been hearing good reviews. One of these days, I should give it a try...

Yeah, I checked out the BigMap one, it's definitely huge, and looks very interesting. Not sure if I'd be able to play the game till the end without MAF, but I think I'll give it a shot (I have old Pentium D cpu with 3 GB of RAM).

Btw, I saw in the earlier pages, you said you got your pics from Morrowind. Man, I used to play that a lot. Always got side-tracked by the side quests that I always forgot the main quest :p

Edit: Ugh got excited with reply, I forgot what I wanted to report to you, lol. I play as The Empire in the intro scenario. I noticed that the Norse Swordsman is replacement for Swordsman. However, it's strange that Swordsman require Iron Weapons tech, but the Norse Swordsman doesn't (I can create this unit after I discover Archery). I think this may not be intended?

Edit (again): I just noticed (when going to WB), there's coal resources. Checking the civipedia, it's revealed by Steam Power (require Advanced Magic and Replaceable Parts). However, looking at the tech tree, there's no Steam Power? Also, Axeman doesn't require Copper to build?

For some reason, I've never played Total War series as well, though I've been hearing good reviews. One of these days, I should give it a try...

Empire Total War was bad because it was too advanced and less real-time real battles (just some guys shooting at each other... where's the thirst of battle?). This will probably be the case for Napoleon Total War too. If you should play TW, then play either Medieval II, the second best one, or the best one, Rome Total War.

Ono-Neko. I must say that I don't remember if I intende that for the swordsman. I must take a look at the issue and change it if I think it's wrong. the Vikings have too few units anyways, so I think it should be fair, or I should give them some more. The Empire itself is a mixture of three nations (Viking, Elven and Principality), so the Imperials enjoy the benefit of those nations' best units.

Some techs are left from vanilla and will be taken out successively. Unfortunately they still show up in the tree and civilopedia though. The in-game tech advance ends in what would be the late Middle Ages though. Oh, and I have problems with the huge maps too. That's why I also will try to make a couple of smaller versions of the scenario maps, for us with the older comps. I need to use my girlfriend's computer every time I want to update the huge maps!

And oh yeah! Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls ever! I played it to death and I still play it every now and then. Oblivion is a great game, and looks good too, but Morrowind is in a class by itself.

VeBear. I've played a demo of Medieval Total War, but I didn't like it enough to actually go out and buy it. It looked really cool though, with all those troops engaged in real-time battle. I guess RTS ain't my cup of tea though.

If that's the case, The Empire may be too powerful (powerful offensive with Norse Swordsman, and powerful defensive with Elven Archers). I almost rushed my neighbors with armies of Norse Swordsman, although looking at my gold revenue, that'd not be very good for my nation at the time. But then, I just start playing and The Empire is the first civ I play, so I don't know what advantages other civs have.

Trireme requires Rocketry to train? I think something is wrong with this requirement :D

:lol: You think? Actually, we've been discussing Triremes. I took them out of the game by placing them at an unachievable tech, but HighwayHoss wants them back in, so they'll be back in a future update.

The Empire is only playable in a couple of scenarios (The Great War and Introducing the Empire). You can't play it on a random map, for example, and it is indeed massively overpowered. I am going to use it for more scenarios later on. The Great War pits the Empire against The Demon King though, who leads an alliance of evil kingdoms; but I've heard that it's a bit too easy.

Update 9c
*Added the Hereford Mappa Mundi scenario and map to the game.
This map is not in 9c or maybe i cant find it.

Anyway, i reinstalled and it is working fine with this map. No crash so far. There was some spam message that some unit 9 has no icon, but game continued.

This map is not in 9c or maybe i cant find it.

Anyway, i reinstalled and it is working fine with this map. No crash so far. There was some spam message that some unit 9 has no icon, but game continued.

Blimey! I forgot to add the Hereford map to the Private Maps Folder! That's just typical. I first had it as "DLC". I published it separately and forgot to add it to the main game! That's what you get from DLC, people. :rolleyes:

Anyways. Here it is, but I need to add it back up to ModDB too, because it's my favourite map right now.

It also seems like I've forgotten to add one of the unit buttons. It doesn't disturb the game other than one of the units won't have an icon, but a pink square instead.

Thanks for the report, Krchak.

Bonus Maps

Since i forgot to include the Hereford map, I give you a map pack with two other ones as well. These two other are played on the 125x100 huge Fairy Tale World map and represent a series of scenarios I am currently building. The Hereford Map is also included in this.

Download

Installation

Drop the maps in the Private Maps folder in the Fairy Tale cataloge, and choose the maps in Play Scenario in the Main Menu. The first two are played in the Fairy Tale World, while the last, is, well, quite different. Enjoy.

Fairy Tale 2 The Age of Lore

The next age is beginning and the world stands on the threshold to the
Age of Lore. You play any of the most important and advanced Kingdoms
during this era in Fairy Tale history. The smaller Kingdoms have been
left included as cannon fodder, although many of them appeared later in
Known World history. All Kingdoms have their historical positions though
andthe smaller nations represent the tribes living in those areas
during this time.

Fairy Tale 3 The Longhorn Wars

Duke Edward Longhorn was a great conqueror who led the Principality
armies into great wars of conquest and military adventures. You play
either Longhorn, or one of the two enemies who finally defeated him -
Namyr or Angleeye. Longhorn has some good armies standing on the Western
Frontier, but he needs to be careful with those troops until he can
build more of them discovering the proper tech. The stage is set for a
great military adventure, a push of conquest that his two arch enemies
seek to hinder.

Hereford Mappa Mundi

This Fairy Tale map is made directly from Antaine's excellent Hereford
Mappa Mundi, here edited to suit the Fairy Tale world properly. The map
made by Antaine is based on a Medieval map found at the Hereford
Cathedral, England, which depicts the known world in typical Medieval
fashion with Jerusalem in the centre and all the other known lands
reaching out from
that Holy Centre.

Le Sage, I think you may have missed my second edit in my previous post. Anyway here it is quoted below.
Edit (again): I just noticed (when going to WB), there's coal resources. Checking the civipedia, it's revealed by Steam Power (require Advanced Magic and Replaceable Parts). However, looking at the tech tree, there's no Steam Power? Also, Axeman doesn't require Copper to build?

Also, how do I attack with Minor Skysnake Spell? One of the AI is attacking me, and right next to my city. I choose the bombing option, but all tiles are grayed out.

Coal and Steam Power and those kinds of modern techs and resources are just left over from vanilla. They will be taken out in coming updates, but you don't see them in-game, just in the civilopedia and indeed the WB.

You just select the spell and right-click on the unit or stack you wish to attack and the spell does the rest. i need to do something about those bad airplane buttons!

Oh... Just right click on the enemy unit when your spell is selected in your stack or city. There's not a spell button in the Interface though.

You can load spells on magicians too and they can carry them around.

I got it works, thanks!

Just a thought. Dragon is suppose to be flying, right? At least the art showing it flying. In this case, why don't it have "ignore movement cost"? I think that's reasonable for flying creature.

Btw, good choice of soundtrack. You probably want to consider changing the each civ's diplo music, as well as the religions's too.

Thanks for reminding me about the dragon. I've thought about it in every game I've played, but never gotten around to change it (lazy me). It's on my to-do list now though, so it'll be in the next update. Just imagine that dragons fly so low that they need to be extra careful when flying over forests that they don't hit the treetops.

The Fairy Tale music is a chapter by itself. It's made by the Greek composer Zero-Project. Just wait till you see (or rather hear) what we've got planned for the future. I'll tell him that you like his work.

Coal and Steam Power and those kinds of modern techs and resources are just left over from vanilla. They will be taken out in coming updates, but you don't see them in-game, just in the civilopedia and indeed the WB.
However I am thinking of incorporating Steam Power and some other industrial techs (as magical equivalents) into the tech tree as techs for The Age of Ever After (the era after Fairy Tale)...this would also change some of my new MSW units to probably require coal as a resource....basically similar to Avatar the Last Airbender cartoon where the Fire Nation had steamships and tanks.

In the opening menu, when choosing the scenario map, the "BigMapJuly2010" shows a misleading description, where it says the map size is Duel, when, in fact, it is probably Huge size. It would be nice if each map has short description like, the X*Y size, and probably the number of Civs in the scenario (either playable, or total civs).

HighwayHoss. I really am reluctant about the venture into the area of steam- and gunpowder and the like. But since we're keeping those kinds of units and features in the end era and also under restrictions, I think we'll be good. I also think it's a good idea to put the MSW Steam Tank and Iron Ship under Coal dependency, which will make them even more rare on the battlefields and they get that surprise factor they serve best with.

Ono-Neko. Yeah. The map size and missing descriptions can be considered a small bug. I will deal with them. Thanks for all your reporting. It makes the modding much easier for us! Oh, and thanks for including Fairy Tale in your signature also. I see we're in good company too. :)

PC Gamer is a mag that I consider something of an authority in this area, and placing us next to Dune Wars and Planetfall, can only be seen as a real compliment to Fairy Tale.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I think you have too much thrust in PC Gamer. ;) The decision process probably went something like this: "Let's do a feature on Civ4 mods! You, random employee #42, make it so!" Lazy employee # 42: "Meh, I'll just take a look at whatever is on ModDB." Guess which three total conversion mods have most recently been updated on ModDB. ;)

Yeah, now I just need to figure out where PC Gamer can be bought. I've never bought a game magazine before.

Top Bottom