1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Basic Type of Map

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Silverman6083, Oct 16, 2013.

?

Favorite Map Type?

1. Continents/Plus

73 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. Pangea/Plus

19 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Archipelago/Tiny Islands

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Terra/Earth

13 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other(Post in Comments!)

18 vote(s)
    14.2%
  1. Silverman6083

Silverman6083 History-Lover

For me it's easily Terra, because I love trying to go wide, & fighting wars over land :D & of course the quest for the new world.

2. Carazycool

Carazycool Warlord

For the longest time I used Fractal but have recently switched over the Shuffle. Shuffle seams more random. i like to not have any idea what to expect from the map. continents? Pangaea? small islands? who knows. go explore and find out.

3. Silverman6083

Oops I forgot Fractal, I guess that goes in other oops :D

4. Maradoc

Maradoc Chieftain

Archipelago, as I'm fond of playing as England.

5. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Warlord

Small Continents. Big enough to have some expansion, small enough to have early tension w.out having one giant blob continent.

6. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Fractal if I'm not using map scripts from the workshop.

7. darden

darden Chieftain

depends on my mood... continents is usually my default, but I'll switch over to Pangaea if I want more of a challenge (just because those games tend to have more warfare)

8. Loucypher

Loucypher King

My common setting is Small Continents - Huge - Low water level. This allows for a lot of landmass spread out beautifully over the world. Sometimes you get one huge pangea connected by tons of tiny bridges, which makes for an interesting game.

9. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

Archipelago. Which gets complex given that my favourite Civ is Morocco :p.

10. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

For me, it's Pangea. You meet everyone early on, there is no real bad parts to start. Just seems balanced.

TBH I was put off with the AI starting on a different landmass from me, when I played the Bering Strait map. Alexander conquered his Mayan nextdoor neighbours very early, he almost eradicated the Dutch. Suleiman only had 1 or 2 cities on the south end of that landmass. (the west side)

I hope Continents prevents that a bit more than Bering Straight.

11. spherejoint

spherejoint Chieftain

Also small continents, huge, low water. Creates the kind of map scripts fractal used to created in Civ4 and feels the most plausible as an alternate Earth.

Fractal now seems to produce landmasses that are too fat and end up making slightly more interesting pangaeas. Continents is too predictable. Pangaea is like playing on easy mode; I can't understand why this is considered "standard".

12. Capt Ajax

Capt Ajax Warlord

Lakes!

13. lokithepunishr

lokithepunishr Warlord

Small continents, huge, low water for me as well. Nice balance between number of civs and CS per continent as well as lots of space. Puts land and sea civs on reasonably the same level with no real bias against either

14. Silverman6083

If you like naval battles, & archipelago try Polynesia/Indonesia/Carthage & the Dutch. The Dutch are WAY too fun. And Carthage ICS on archipelago is too great.

15. mike1117112

mike1117112 Chieftain

My favorite map is the Earth Map. I play it often. But I use random second most often, as the poster above said explore and find out what there is. Huge, Epic, Raging Barbs. It really feels like carving an empire out of an unforgiving world. Turn off a time victory and tough it out.
    I'll also set up a 'real world' game, such as Asia with all the Asian civs, Americas with that side of the world.

16. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

Usually Continents, though sometimes I go for Small Continents (when playing seafaring civilizations like Carthage) or Fractal (when I want something slightly more surprising than two big landmasses)...
    I get really happy when the Continents script decides to go for three continents instead of two! :D

I don't like Pangaea at all (I like the rush of exploring the seas and the new world, meeting new civilizations, etc...), and Archipelago is not bad (but I prefer to have some space on my own before having to settle the tiny little islands).

Other preferences include: Random is better than Pre-made, Cylindrical is better than Flat.

I still haven't tried Continents Plus! :cringe: I kinda want to, as they make really interesting maps, but I fear they are just too big for the standard number of civilizations, which means lots of land to settle even in the modern era - which I would prefer it not to happen...

17. Furret

Furret Tryhard

Shuffle!!

I used to play with starting bias off because I thought it made civs too powerful, but then I realized they actually needed the start bias to play properly. I still don't like cooking the map to benefit my own civ though, seems a little like cheating. It is fun though to get a map that favors your civ and not even realize it until astronomy.

18. Silverman6083

What is Shuffle I've never heard of that map type

19. Mudrac

Mudrac Orc Warchief

I like all of them ;). Every map is randomized, so you can always have a challenge.

20. David McMurdo

David McMurdo Chieftain

CONTINENNNNNNNNNNNNNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me it's just because I like the idea of playing on a map that is formed like the real world, but not in the exact way as the real world. It's hard to wrap my mind around a "world" that consists of a single landmass or a bunch of islands. In gameplay terms it's good because you have to make use of both land and sea units and abilities.