Votes: 19 15.0%
  • Archipelago/Tiny Islands

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Terra/Earth

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Other(Post in Comments!)

Votes: 18 14.2%

• Total voters
For me it's just because I like the idea of playing on a map that is formed like the real world, but not in the exact way as the real world. It's hard to wrap my mind around a "world" that consists of a single landmass or a bunch of islands. In gameplay terms it's good because you have to make use of both land and sea units and abilities.

I might suggest the Tectonic map script mod available from the workshop. It creates land masses as though there were plate tectonics involved. There are also many options when setting up the game as to how the plates are shaped and/or moved, including the plate speed (one option is "Ramming Speed!" which causes a LOT of mountains!). Continents are often highly variable with this script, and I love it.

I'm surprised by the results. I've always been under the impression that most people on the forums play pangea. Personally, I prefer multiple land masses, but I'm still looking for my favorite implementation. Maybe I'll check out that Tectonic mod ...

Pangaea, just because you can scout it all meet everyone and get a decent start, you can have a horrible start location on Pangaea but can play pretty much standard.

Thanks ^-^

Oh that's easy, Pangaea Plus unless I'm playing a heavy naval or sea based Civ like England or Carthage. Easily the best games I've ever played were using Pangaea Plus.

Pangaea. The AI is most competitive on it and it tends to lead to more interesting situations with the inevitably of border disputes than the more watery maps. If I'm playing a civ that is specifically supposed to be played on water maps I like Small Continents.

I like Terra, but too often I'm the only one on the new continent, with a bunch of City States. So, what I like to do is to do Continents Plus, but add in a bunch of extra Civs, double the recommended amount, sometimes. This way there is still the fighting for the limited land on your side, and when you get to the other Continent you're actually meeting a bunch of new people (And fighting for their land).

I like continents the most. Civs are spread out evenly, naval forces have a decent use but aren't too crucial if you're going for a peaceful victory and there's often the chance of grabbing control over your own continent. Currently trying terra, and my first impressions are that it looks like a tighter version of pangaea. If terra looks good enough I might add terra as a second preference, then fractal, then pangaea. All other maps would depend on my mood.

Top Bottom