1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Units

Discussion in 'Total War' started by Tank_Guy#3, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I prefer setting up a battle with six armies, all with only peasants. Now that's epic fighting :D

One time I was playing as Rome when Carthage attacked my wall-less city that was defended only by three peasant units and town militia. I simply made them block the main road to the centre, and by goodness they fought to the death. Full respect from me, when I got the city back I made sure it had a permanent unit of peasants to remember the fallen :salute:

2. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

No, that wouldn't be mine. I'd like to see the one you're referring to though. Got a link? It'd almost be like reliving the movie 300 :mischief:

3. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

RTW
    triari(spearmen)(heavy)
    scoppians(bailsa)
    eqactas(horselight)
    sorry for the spelling

what the hell are flaxmen

4. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Scoppians? Eqactas? Horselight?

:huh:

5. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

Scoppians-ballistas?
    eqastas- equites?
    flaxmen- falxmen
    My favorite unit in RTW is cataphract archers. Makes your light and medium armored horsemen think twice before chasing after them.

6. BEHIND_THE_MASK

BEHIND_THE_MASK A Liar... A Cheat...

Armored Elephants

Utterly destructive!!! I once fought an enemy army and lost 4 of my best armies as the enemy who had 3 Armored Elephant Groups tore me apart.

I lost 3 armies, 2 cities and some of my best generals. I was only able to defeat the Elephants when I brought my best army into the feild.

-5 Catapults
    -3 Cavalry
    -3 Spearmen
    -And the rest filled with Infantry and Archers

I lured them to a bridge and as the elphants crossed I hit them with my Catapults. It was epi.

7. Paasky

Paasky Good News Everyone!

From RTW: Urban Cohort. I played rtw online, and my army always consisted of atleast 50% urbans. They're cheapish & very good fighters

From BI: Berserkers. Oh dear lord I can still remember what they did... Because they were half-dead already (about 3x20), and they'd charge madly once even close to a fight, I had them behind my lines as reinforcements. Once my line disintegrated, they did a mad charge at the enemy (about 1500 strong). And beat the crap out of everyone! I won that battle with a ratio of 1-25!

8. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

I like the Spartan Hoplites in EB as well, but the problem with them is, they can't form a phalanx. Which doesn't really effect them as a fighting unit (they still kick a$$).

I'm really starting to like Northern and Southern Gallic mercenaries in this game too. They are kinda crappy compared to most of the Roman units I can train, but they have acted as my best troops in my fights in Gaul and NW Anatolia. And in this game, Pontus has amassed the largest number of big armies I have ever seen in EB. At one point I saw about 5 or 6 of them, which needless to say pushed my half army out of Byzantium (which I did take back, and I have captured the southern shore of the Black Sea). After many, many turns (and fighting all but 3 or 4 of all the factions) I am pushing the Pontics back.

But I've had to fight very hard to achieve my gains. For awhile, it appeared as though I may not win this ancient "world war". But after removing the Aedui, Avernii (these two are basically Gauls), and the Lusotana (Spaniards), the battle is beginning to shift in my favor.

9. Paasky

Almost forgot about this:

Peasants ftw!

10. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

:eek: You must have photoshopped that.... what did the other guys field, conscript peasants? Catapults? ANY fighting unit would have kicked their butts... even archers forced to fight in a melee...:confused:

11. BEHIND_THE_MASK

BEHIND_THE_MASK A Liar... A Cheat...

I just played a custom game.

I had an army of 3 elephants (1 armored, 2 normal)

The Enemy had 2 armies worth of avalry, horse archers and chairiots.

The Map was a Nile Bridge.

I put two war elephant regiments into action against the entire 2 armies and they were massacred on the bridge!!! It was amazing.

12. Paasky

Nope, no photoshopping. Just a small Asterix mod I created ;) They're atleast 2x better than armoured elephants. And have a huuuge aount of hitpoints.

13. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Asterix-mod? Can you modify the map? If yes, then make the Gaul village as a one city, and those 5(?) armed camps as cities too. The map could be a huge Bretagne. :lol:

14. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

Have a crapload of archers (on walls) firing volley after volley after volley after volley after volley after...well you get the idea :p

15. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

MTW: English Longbowmen, Spanish Lancers, Byzantinian Heavy Cavalry (IIRC, it's been ages), Armenian Heavy Cavalry, Vikings!, Boyars, Hashish, and some more I'd forgotten. Do spies count?

RTW: Roman Infantry!, Companion Cavalry, Elephants, Bastarnae, Chariots, and some other units. I hope spies count.

16. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

Shogun - Naginata, I had a unit of these on a bridge once that won a battle almost single handed.

RTW - Seleucid Silver shield legionaries. One of the only civilized units I've found that can realistically take on the Roman legions.

RBI - Gotta be the Cataphracts. :) I haven't really had a chance to try out many of the barbarian units yet though.

I've been playing the Extended Greek mod for BI recently, and must say that the Silver Shield Legionaries in that game (they come with an 'Eagle' to inspire earby troops) are magnificent.

17. tommyommy

tommyommy Chieftain

M2: TW- Conquistadors from the New World absolutely amazing
    Also Arquibisiers and the merc version. Excellent

tommyommy

18. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

One of my favorite units is the spear warband. It is the best level one unit there is.

19. drzoidberg

drzoidberg Prince

MTW2. I like the musketeer units. Any faction, but the Turks have the prettiest. The Janissaries. All my favorite battles is battles where the metre is almost all red and all my oponents are covered in shiny armour. And the end result is me losing less than 20 men and the whole enemy army routing. Musketeers are just great.

The Timurid elephant mounted cannon is pretty neat. Not so usefull but cool. The only way to reqruit it is to take it up as a mercenary outside Baghdad. It can be done as soon as the Mongols have been around.

20. RickFGS

RickFGS Deity

RTW: on a game/match:
    Sacred Band Cavalry - same stats as Companion but by expericence they dont tend to tire as much. Fast, agile and excellent manouver in any terrain, perfect for ambushes.
    Sacred Band Infantry - theres only one phalanx better then these guys and thats Spartans. Fight to the death, unkilable by enemy archers/stones.
    Royal Pikeman - The long shields gives this unit of long pikes the extra defense vs missiles other long pikes dont have.
    Archer Auxilia - These boys are the ancient snipers
    Balearic Slingers - 4 of these can kill the entire enemy army and still have stones left in the end
    Imperial First Cohort - More men (on huge its 2x more) carrying an eagle that inspires nearby troops, expensive but only 4 can make your line impenetrable
    Armoured Elephants - Tiger Panzer anyone?
    Hvy Onagers - A well placed 5 ton stone can kill more or less easily any fat enemy general.
    Bull Warriors - No coment, a 2 hit points, enraged scutarri with improved attack/defense that fights till the bitter end.
    Beserkers - Arrgh! Small group of blood frenzy monsters. If you dont have a phalanx line things can become complicated. Tip: play SPQR on Huge scale and hardest difficulty vs a fullpack of 254each unit beserkers AI, if you win, then you are a true strategist.

RTW: on campaign:
    armoured hoplites - 27 defense (30 if you have athenian temples - almost 100% you will have) in 1 turn for 700 denarri or so (cant remember) capable of producing on turn 10 or early? whats the deal here? too powerfull.

Fav mercs: Cretan archers, balearic, rhodian, sarmatian cavalry.