favourite units

Early game: Chariot

Late game: Artillery, Mech Inf, Bomber

Units I never build: Knights (don't get that tech), Sub, Fighter, Ironclad, Cruiser, Musketeers, Cannon

Armor and Battleships definitely.

Originally posted by cliff
Units I never build: Knights <snip>

I love knights. . . seems to be the best unit around in the early/middle ages. Good attack, okay defense. good movement.

I try to build as many as I can, then when they become obsolete, use them as cannon fodder.

The bad thing with Knights is that Chivalry is off the tech path. You have to get no less than four useless techs to get to Chivalry, including Feudalism, Monarchy and Horseback Riding. But Chivalry is a dead end so I think it's better to get other techs that lead you to the modern days.

Also, Chariots are almost as good as Knights so there is no real need to build Knights.

I usually end up getting Chivalry from another civ or a goody hut. Rarely do I research it.

however, Knights are better than Chariots, as Knights have one more defensive point, and one more offensive point. The extra defensive point comes in handy while waiting to rush a better defensive units.

This is going to sound goofy...but D I P L O M A T S...

1. Rush to Pyramids.
2. Change gov't to Democracy
3. Flip to Communism for war mongering.
4. Build Diplomats by the dozens.
5. Subvert enemy cities (by the dozens).
6. Win many, many games (at least at low levels) with 25K gold still in the bank... :p

Running a close second is Armor/MI mop-up crews (diplomats can't subvert capital cities...

:D

Originally posted by Turner_727
however, Knights are better than Chariots, as Knights have one more defensive point, and one more offensive point. The extra defensive point comes in handy while waiting to rush a better defensive units.

Chariots 4 attack
Knights 4 attack
No?

Carriers are certainly useful units.

But they lack something in glamour. (Visit the discussion forums at warships1.com and see the proportion of threads about carriers vs threads about battleships or even obscure late-19th-century Russian protected cruisers.) And in Civ, they are a downright nuisance to use! It's great that Civ adapts to make the gameplay "feel" different in different eras ... but the whole "build a whole bunch of bombers and fighters and fly them out of their portable base and back again" idea feels so foreign after 5500 years of independent or paired units.

I am not surprised at all that carriers are receiving so few nominations. We use them in the late game, because we have to. Shrug.

I like the Artillery best.

The Artillery graphics in civ 1 is the best unit graphics I have ever seen in a game. No unit EVER has scared me more than when the Zulus came with dark artillery units with red dots on, and all I had was Catapults, both for offense AND defense...

Hey why this discussion?

What about N U K E S?? ;)

With it you can blow any civ into submission. You can build such a large army you want with one rocket you can destroy almost their entire army. Works for me every time and who cares about the small polluted squares anyway.

Originally posted by de Montcalm
Hey why this discussion?

What about N U K E S?? ;)

With it you can blow any civ into submission. You can build such a large army you want with one rocket you can destroy almost their entire army. Works for me every time and who cares about the small polluted squares anyway.

You're dangerous. Are you a political leader using a pseudo?
Well I hope it's a joke.

My favorites are:Militia(no I'm not joking, it has saved my capital many times;) ), Armor and Carrier which is full of Bombers

Armor :tank: 'cause of its firepower and movement.
Nuclear :nuke: 'cause it... WELL IT'S THE BEST EHHH!!!

Settlersssssss Settlerssssssss Settlersssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ONE - HUNDRED CHARACTERES)

my favorite can be also Diplomat, you can get a enemy city only for gold

In CIV1, bombing cities is really effective (unlike the new CIV...), so I don't get it why the bomber doesn't have more "afficionados"!
Attack hard without being attacked!!!

(PS: I know most of you end the game sooner, but I let the game come to this doing empire building and then conquering the world in few turns: Just to show who rules :D . And the bomber is sooooooo good for that :D )

Hey all, this is my first post to this site...

War Walker... can travel far and wide, active defends and bombs any city before I invade.

A close second would be Sea Engineers as I love building water communities.

------------

Sorry everyone, wrong game... I like bombers best

Hello Paqua17 and welcome.

However, I have to ask... are you playing the same game as the rest of us? :)

Top Bottom