File attributes/properties - Is that VFS, InGameUIAddin or UpdateDatabase?

whoward69

DLL Minion
Find the type of file (by extension) you have created in the list, identify its intended purpose in the sub-list (if any), then set the ModBuddy attributes/properties as given.

For information on how to set an "OnModActivated -> UpdateDatabase" entry, an "InGameUIAddin" entry or "VFS = true" see posts #2, #3 and #4 respectively.

.civ5map - Civ5 Map
  • Is the map part of a Custom Game scenario (ie a scenario with a custom setup screen)?
    • VFS: False
    • Map must be loaded as part of the scenario start-up code
  • Is the map stand-alone (ie not part of a Custom Game scenario)?
    • VFS: True
    • Requires a Map entry

.civ5mod - Civ5 Mod Package
Packaged mod (7z format) archive - should be placed in the MODS sub-directory for the game to unpack, or unpacked manually with WinRar or 7Zip
  • None

.dds - DDS Image/Icon Graphic

.dge - Animation Graph File

.dll - Dynamic Library
  • Either -
    • MUST be called "CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll", "CvGameCore_Expansion1.dll", "CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll"
    • MUST be in the root of the ModBuddy project (eg, NOT in a DLL sub-folder)
  • Or -
    • Can be called anything (but the above names are recommended)
    • SHOULD be in the root of the ModBuddy project (eg, NOT in a DLL sub-folder)
    • Requires an OnGetDLLPath->SetDllPath entry in ModBuddy

.fpk - Asset Package
Packaged assets as found in DLCs, use Nexus or DragonUnpacker to extract
  • None

.fsmxml - Granny State Machine Data File
  • Reload Unit System / Reload Landmark System: Checked

.ftsxml - Granny Timed Trigger System Data File

.fxsxml - Asset definition Data File

.ggxml - Font Icon Map
Must have the same base name as the associated DDS file (eg MyFontIcons.dds and MyFontIcons.ggxml)

.gr2 - Granny Mesh File
  • Reload Unit System / Reload Landmark System: Checked

.ltp - LiveTuner Panel
Must be manually copied into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Debug after the mod has downloaded/installed
  • None

.lua - Lua Script
  • Is the file a replacement for a core game file?
  • Is the file part of a new UI context (but not a scenario load screen)?
    • Either this Lua file or it's associated XML file requires an InGameUIAddin entry
  • Is the file part of a new Scenario Load Screen context?
    • Either this Lua file or it's associated XML file requires a Custom entry
  • Is this a map script?
    • Requires a MapScript entry
  • Does this file contain methods registered by events within the file, or methods that are then executed directly during game startup?
    • Requires an InGameUIAddin entry
  • Does this file contain methods used by other Lua files and is included into those other Lua files?

.mp3 - MP3 Sound File
  • Is this file replacing an existing .mp3 (or .ogg) file?
  • Is this file an additional .mp3 file?
    • Reload Audio System: Checked
    • Corresponding XML entry

.ogg - OGG Media File
  • Is this file replacing an existing .ogg file?
  • Is this file an additional .ogg file?

.sql - SQL Script
  • Requires an OnModActivated -> UpdateDatabase entry

.wav - WAV Sound File
  • Is this file replacing an existing .wav file?
  • Is this file an additional .wav file?

.xml - XML File
  • Does the file start with a <GameData> element?
    • Requires an OnModActivated -> UpdateDatabase entry
  • Does the file start with a <LeaderScene> element?
  • Is the file a replacement for a core game UI context file?
  • Is the file part of a new UI context (but not a scenario load screen)?
    • Either this XML file or it's associated Lua file requires an InGameUIAddin entry
  • Is the file part of a new Scenario Load Screen context?
    • Either this XML file or it's associated Lua file requires a Custom entry

Setting an xml or sql file to update the game database

1. From the Mod Properties screen, select the Actions tab
  2. Click the Add button
  3. Select OnModActivated from the top drop-down
  4. Select UpdateDatabase from the middle drop-down
  5. Select the file from the bottom drop-down (if the file is not visible, save the file first)
  6. Click the OK button

Attachments

• UpdateDatabase.jpg
    UpdateDatabase.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 14,151
Setting an xml or lua file as an InGameUIAddin

Note: If adding an InGameUIAddin where there is only a .lua file (and no associated .xml file), do step 6 before step 3

1. From the Mod Properties screen, select the Content tab
  2. Click the Add button
  3. Select InGameUIAddin from the top drop-down
  4. Enter a name, typically the same as the file name
  5. (Optional) Enter a description, typically the same as the name
  6. Select the file from the drop-down, or enter the name manually (if the latter, take care with both case and the direction of the slash in path names)
  7. Click the OK button

Attachments

• InGameUiAddin.jpg
    InGameUiAddin.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 14,182
Setting VFS=true for a file

1. In the Solution Explorer panel, select the file (or files)
  2. In the Properties panel, select Import into VFS
  3. Expand the drop-down
  4. Select true

Attachments

• VfsTrue.jpg
    VfsTrue.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 14,684
This is a great reference, whoward69. Thank you very much. Will defiantly help me from scavenging through the site.

I'm running an old version of ModBuddy, so my Buddy doesn't have drop-down menus in the Actions and the Content tab... So, mostly out of curiosity... Does anything aside from OnModActivated, UpdateDatabase or InGameUIAddin appear on the menus?

For the first two, nothing that actually seems to work. For the last one, you can also have "Custom", "Map", "MapScript", "CityViewUIAddin" and "DiplomacyUIAddin"

"Custom" is used by scenarios with their own custom setup screen, "Map" and "MapScript" are used by "Map Mods" and also custom scenarios, "CityViewUIAddin" and "DiplomacyUIAddin" are needed if your code needs to run in the CityView or LeaderHeadRoot base contexts (instead of the InGame base cotext)

Hi guys, I've been trying to follow loads of tutorials to get new units in the game. All of them are talking about that VFS option to set to true. That brought me to this page, because it seems that this VFS thing has disappeared was an update of ModBuddy. Do you guys know if they moved it, or if we simply don't need it anymore?

Cheers guys!

VFS is still there (see post #4 for where "there" is) and still needed for the files indicated

I'm sorry, I did read your post #4, and that's why I asked. This is what I've got, and in the Misc section, I don't have the VFS menu.

Am I missing something somewhere? Something to tick or anything. I'm trying to start modding, and I find everything really hard... I'm a 3d Artist and programming is really not my strong point!

And it's not the only menu I'm missing apparently...

I'm sorry, I did read your post #4, and that's why I asked. This is what I've got, and in the Misc section, I don't have the VFS menu.

Am I missing something somewhere? Something to tick or anything. I'm trying to start modding, and I find everything really hard... I'm a 3d Artist and programming is really not my strong point!

And it's not the only menu I'm missing apparently...

The properties window should definitely still have the VFS option. From the latest version I'm using:

How did you download ModBuddy? Any issues during installation? Is Steam connected to the internet properly? What happens when you verify the local files for your SDK? (Library->click on "All Games"->Tools->Right click "Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK"->Properties->Local Files->Verify Integrity...")

Attachments

• modbuddy properties.png
    modbuddy properties.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 13,637
@hugojackson: You're most likely using an older version of ModBuddy... Good news is that actually everything you put in the mod file is being automatically imported to the VFS, so you don't need to check anything.

Ok so, I was using the Old version of the SDK with Nexus working properly (the version Deliverator is talking about in his latest tutorial). But even when I was loading ModBuddy from Steam, it was the same version.

So S3rgeus, I did what you said, and now I've got exactly what you have! So I guess that's good now.

And Leugi, thanks for clarify this. I thought that if it wasn't there, it was doing it by default, but I was freaking out a bit seeing everyone talking about that VFS dropmenu when I couldn't see it anywhere...

Thanks guys!

EDIT: and now, I finally find all the other things I wasn't finding in the mod options!

Question: Unless I'm doing it wrong (I'm basing it off the base game XML files), files for SND and AS2D audio mapping being with <AudioDefinesFile> and <Script2DFile> root-level elements, respectively, which are, obviously, not <GameData> elements. Do the same rules of giving these files UpdateDatabase entries still apply, or do they need different load attributes?

Like the ArtDefine tables, the format for the Audio tables is NOT the same as used by the base game, see this thread for more details. Don't know about the AS2D tables, can't see them in the database, so they may still be unmoddable

I was directed here from another thread and after reading this i'm still unsure of what I would need to do. I'm looking to make only certain buildings and units buildable by cities in a map I'm creating like the American Civil War scenario. Is that something that I need to edit in worldbuilder itself or in modbuddy?

All file load attributes are defined in the mod's .modinfo file, which ModBuddy automatically creates for you according to what load attributes you set within ModBuddy.

Whatever file defines those buildings needs to be given an UpdateDatabase entry, since it would either be an XML or SQL file. Load attributes don't affect what your actual code does other than determines whether or not the game will actually recognize your code's existence and subsequently run it.

What you're trying to do sounds like it would be most easily accomplished with a Lua script, which would need an InGameUIAddin entry. But here is not the place to ask how that would be accomplished; this reference only deals with how to get code into the game, not how to make said code do anything in particular. The reason Enginseer directed you here is not because it was going to teach you the art of scenario modding but because you reported that no changes were being made by your mod, which is usually indicates that you incorrectly set - or forgot completely - the load attributes.

Top Bottom