Final Frontier Modding

on the theory that civilization will develope with right angles. the universe, to protect life in general, wouldn't want to have a dominant civilization develope and spread to the stars...

it made sense when i read it. :p

I have created a port of 12monkeys' PlotListEnhancements (PLE) mod for use with Final Frontier.

The mod can be found at -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6793

This mod provides a significant improvement to the main interface when dealing with large stacks of units.
Firaxis really should have included the PLE mod as standard in BtS. Bad Firaxis...

This mod does not change gameplay in any way.

Credits:

The original PLE mod was created by 12monkeys.
The PLE mod was made compatible with BtS 3.03 by turlute.
The PLE mod was made compatible with Final Frontier by daengle.

I don't have any proposals to improve this mod or change it into a new full blown mod, but I do have some specific Final Frontier modding questions. Seeing how many people who want to be involved in modding this mod are here, I figured this would be a good place to ask my questions. I hope you can help me out, and don't mind my questions more or less unrelated to what has been said before.

First off, how do I alter the automatic missile production of Starbases? I can't seem to find it in any of the XML, although I might have been looking for the wrong things. I was thinking about starbases which don't produce any unit, or different units, or perhaps less units or more.
Second, certain buildings have a limitation that you can only build one per star system. These are usually buildings which orbit the sun, while planetside buildings, or buildings with planetery orbit have no such limitation. Again, where in the assets are buildings marked as 1 per system, or 1 per planet? For instance, I was surprised to see that building a training compound on every planet gives the +2 prestige, and likewise for the power temple. This is a great way for getting lots of prestige, but it doesn't make much sense. Do my units go to every planet to undergo consecutive training? I'm more inclined to think that these buildings should be limited to one per system, or in case of the power temple, to change its effects so as not to reduce it vis-a-vis the other value buildings.

Anyway, to play around with it, I need to know where to edit, so if anyone can help me out with that, thanks a lot!!

Just a heads-up for everyone. For the patch I've added the ability to customize Star Systems inside WorldBuilder Save (via text).

Jon

Code:
	FeatureType=FEATURE_SOLAR_SYSTEM, FeatureVariety=0
		StarType=ORANGE_STAR
		PlanetType=GREEN_PLANET, OrbitRing=2, PlanetSize=0, HasMoon=1, HasRings=0
		PlanetType=WHITE_PLANET, OrbitRing=6, PlanetSize=2, HasMoon=0, HasRings=0
		PlanetType=BLUE_PLANET, OrbitRing=8, PlanetSize=1, HasMoon=0, HasRings=1
		PlanetType=RED_PLANET, OrbitRing=7, PlanetSize=2, HasMoon=0, HasRings=0
		PlanetType=RED_PLANET, OrbitRing=3, PlanetSize=2, HasMoon=0, HasRings=0
		PlanetType=RED_PLANET, OrbitRing=5, PlanetSize=0, HasMoon=0, HasRings=0

Besides, survival pods wouldn't make much sense since the ship that withdrew can be "repaired". Supposedly you'd only jettison the survival pods if your ship was destroyed. ;)

And I forgot to mention, these promotions will only be available if the ship you're promoting is lead by a Great Admiral, like the Leadership and Morale promotions in Vanilla Civ IV.

Survival pods might be a promotion you get that would save the great admiral when the ship is destroyed
(He appears in an adjacent square or in capital system, using Python function to create a great general unit?).

I would enjoy that, it is frustrating when your great generals die all the time.:(

Ship is destroyed, along with all of its "upgrades", but the general lives on? I kinda like that idea, but it's kinda overpowered, as you basically have 20 experience points floating around all the time that can't be destroyed unless you are extremely klutzy.

Anyway, I have an idea for a building: A Space elevator. Requires a mining facility to be built on the planet already and increases :hammers: by +2.

Any thoughts?

QUANTATIVE RESOURCES on a single asteroid cannot provide for the water requirements of the entire civilization forever. perhaps an improvement which provides the water resource for one solar system. Delta Recycling plant? :)

:goodjob:

I'm all for modding FF. It'd be great for so many things!

One thing I notised it that the AI doesn't build star roads, is this a bug?

The AI has built roads all over the place in all the games I've played. Do to the games tech pacing they usually don't really get started until they have Jump Lanes(Railroads).

some of the things id like to see in final frointier are ships using ranged bombardment, planet improving buildings you can only build 1 per star system, terrain improvements providing inffluence/happiness/hammersand espionage. all of this cuold be done simply with a simple xml change

I had some ideas.

Why not some planets already having inhabitants? primitive (no spaceflight cultures) that you have the option to study, move, or destroy. each would give benefits.

some events.

Finding alien ruins on one of you planets (+science)
Omega Clouds (A cloud of material that destroys anything with right angles) (from jack mcdevitt's novels)

Having already inhabited planets would incorporate one of the few advantages that Galactic Civ 1 & 2 have over the FF mod. In that game alot of the start systems are already inhabited and it is how you "deal" with them that creates a profile for the morality of your civ. Do you waste them for instant money? Do you let them alone even if it makes alot of your planets uninhabitable? Or do you take some moderate rational course?

Adding alien civs would also give the chance to introduce alien communication popups that can be quite humorous and hence enhance the FF mod. :lol::lol::lol:

Jon Shafer-
Great work!
I love the mod and play it more than any other in BTS. I'd be happy to pay for an expansion to this, if it came to it. I'd hope to see alien civs, more tech, varied ships, great leaders, enhanced religions/values, more wonders, different goodie hut outcomes, expanded spying, ground forces, etc. Any possibility of any of these things coming from you or Firaxis?

im not sure if this thread is still alive, but i just found it. i think 2 things that would greatly enhance the variety and fun of FF would be
1: superweapons
a la death star...
and
2: multiple weapons on ships accessible like spells in FFH. for example, i would love to have a cruiser with the "tractor beam" promotion which, when used, prevents a selected ship from attacking, other than with ranged BB. and maybe "gravity well projectors" which prevents the selected ship from moving at all next turn. something that could be cool is to make a promotion for scouts or fighters only called "infiltrator" which only comes with combat 4 or 5 (equivalent...) and gives a % chance of capturing a selected ship (yes, any ship), of escaping undetected, and of being captured and killed. it is a powerful promotion, but requires a lot to access it so it could be cool! things like that would be cool i think.

or, instead of diff promotions, we could give ships "abilities" (again like spells from FFH) such as "disable engines" which has a (moderately high) % chance of permanently immobilizing a ship, or at least reducing its movement drastically, and takes away all engine promotions until fully repaired. another one could be "disable primary weapons" which would prevent ranged attack and give a -50% attack malus for "Our primary weapon systems are down!"

all of these kind of things... yeah.

Top Bottom