Finished a Scientific Victory after almost 800 hours, 3119 turns. Ask me anything.

The360MlgNoscoper

Chieftain
Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 171953.png

Some notes about this run.

Scientific Victory requires researching every single non-exclusive technology in the game. It's far more difficult and time-consuming than any other victory condition. It's basically the "True Ending", in terms of lore.
Long speed + Extended research time.
Warlord difficulty because for most of the game the AI didn't really serve a role anyways.
The 4000 golden age turns was partially out of frustration, but didn't really impact the long-term game much anyways.
I summoned the Neanderthals to prevent a conquest victory, as i forgot to disable it.
While i used Worldbuilder a lot to fix small frustrations, i never used it to cheat for science or technologies. All technologies were earned by regular means.
No autoplay was used.
I produced dozens of gigabytes of save data during the game. Had to clear it out several times.
This game took more than 1 year in real-life terms, due to several breaks.
It crashed a few times during some of the later eras, but in the final era it rarely crashed, and only from certain actions. It's playable.
Turn time was reduced to roughly 1 minute in the last part of the game, as a lot of the turn time comes from AI actions, as well as automated workers during your turn.
I stopped updating the SVN for the last few months, out of fear it would break my game.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170752.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170752.png
    722.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 152148.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 152148.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,359
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 172040.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 172040.png
    522.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170338.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170338.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170407.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170407.png
    746.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 172054.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 172054.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 12,504
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 171849.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 171849.png
    572 KB · Views: 242
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170640.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170640.png
    531.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170553.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170553.png
    814.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170351.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170351.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170709.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170709.png
    256.3 KB · Views: 214
  • Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170446.png
    Skjermbilde 2024-07-04 170446.png
    705.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Nice!
Domestic Advisor: I always widen the columns so the numbers are readable, but I guess some players never look at this.

What is the furthest you've gotten yourself?

I don't know.
I play on the slowest pace, a game spans more than a year, or two. My best guess is around 14000 turns, getting close to Medieval era maybe, before the computer is replaced or the new installs break my savegame, or I don't bother with the savegame and start new. I only update C2C every two or three years once I committed to a new game, each time there are many new things to discover.

But really, I have no clue. It is possible I never got past pre-historic and ancient era... not even sure what comes after that!

EDIT: I'm too old to remember, I played its predecessor Empire in the early 80ies...

I don't know.
I play on the slowest pace, a game spans more than a year, or two. My best guess is around 14000 turns, getting close to Medieval era maybe, before the computer is replaced or the new installs break my savegame, or I don't bother with the savegame and start new. I only update C2C every two or three years once I committed to a new game, each time there are many new things to discover.

But really, I have no clue. It is possible I never got past pre-historic and ancient era... not even sure what comes after that!

EDIT: I'm too old to remember, I played its predecessor Empire in the early 80ies...
Yeeeahh. I'm far too impatient for that. Though you are missing out. The game is playable until like Nanotech era before space stuff become mandatory.

Yeeeahh. I'm far too impatient for that. Though you are missing out. The game is playable until like Nanotech era before space stuff become mandatory.
Looking at the tech tree now I realise that I have definitely been playing the classical, medieval and renaissance era. But probably never beyond that. Currently turn 1676, starting the Ancient era.

Attachments

• domestic.jpg
    domestic.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 211
Come on Avignon, do something!
I've been getting 'discontent' messages since my culture pressing is around 40% or something. Now at 70%, sometimes two turns in a row discontent messages, and still they don't join my empire... when? When will they decide?
I've been postponing open borders with Jeanne d'Arc because she may send help to Avignon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-14_10-05-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-14_10-05-26.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 180
Come on Avignon, do something!
I've been getting 'discontent' messages since my culture pressing is around 40% or something. Now at 70%, sometimes two turns in a row discontent messages, and still they don't join my empire... when? When will they decide?
I've been postponing open borders with Jeanne d'Arc because she may send help to Avignon.
Yep. I had a lot of that this game.

niice, I'm trying to do something similar, even posting youtube series about it :) I'm only less than half way now, atomic era
Admittedly i played with somewhat easy settings, but it still took 800 real-life hours total. It was simply to see how doable it was, and get a feel for the ultra-late game. It still tested my patience. I have better things to do than playing the same game forever :p. Couldn't imagine playing with all the more annoying settings on a slower speed.

Admittedly i played with somewhat easy settings, but it still took 800 real-life hours total. It was simply to see how doable it was, and get a feel for the ultra-late game. It still tested my patience. I have better things to do than playing the same game forever :p. Couldn't imagine playing with all the more annoying settings on a slower speed.
wow that's a lot! my current youtube series will be on long speed, although once I did reach transcendent era on eternity speed (the longest possible one):D gonna be playing similar lengthy game again? I guess my long speed game will be 70h real life time

also, how are AIs doing in your game? in mine, they are not powerful, only in middle-medieval ages while my empire is atomic, and it's on highest difficulty
fun facts comparing my games to yours: I always use same state religion :D I also like to play germany (other civs I do are americans or rome), and you have much better coverage of space areas, I am normally too overwhelmed with micro after building just several cities in each special biome (moon, mars, venus, etc...)

Last edited:
wow that's a lot! my current youtube series will be on long speed, although once I did reach transcendent era on eternity speed (the longest possible one):D gonna be playing similar lengthy game again? I guess my long speed game will be 70h real life time

also, how are AIs doing in your game? in mine, they are not powerful, only in middle-medieval ages while my empire is atomic, and it's on highest difficulty
fun facts comparing my games to yours: I always use same state religion :D I also like to play germany (other civs I do are americans or rome), and you have much better coverage of space areas, I am normally too overwhelmed with micro after building just several cities in each special biome (moon, mars, venus, etc...)
I wiped out almost everyone eventually. They were getting in the way. They mostly just spammed criminal units at me, so i needed to patrol my borders. One by one i eliminated them, with virtually no resistance. Felis Superioris was particularily helpful here. As well as a top secret agent to take their cities when convenient.
City micro is part of the reason it took so long, along with worker automation slowing down the game. I don't remember how far many of them got, but they were far behind. America (The last remaining civilization except for the Neanderthals i spawned in) was roughly atomic era, largely from all my gifted techs. Their cities were worthless, and slowly fell to my influence. Funnily enough they started on the same continent as me.

I won't do this for a long while. I'll wait for multimaps to be reliable enough. You will need a lot of space cities to get everything. Particularily for the scientific victory.

I wiped out almost everyone eventually. They were getting in the way. They mostly just spammed criminal units at me, so i needed to patrol my borders.
How did you patrol your borders? I'm well past the point where AI criminal units are a threat, but they sure are a nuisance. I don't have any convenient chokepoint I can fill with units.

Top Bottom