Firaxis: Civ4 graphic improvement?

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
Well, now that I am quite accustomed to Civ4 graphics, I can note that they are pretty lower than what I was expecting. But this is not because it is just me. It is because they should have to be fantastic. In comparison, Civ4 actual graphics are just "correct", "honest", what is just a shame in comparison of what they could have been.

I would have wanted the screen in any time flooded of light. Where is the sun in Civ4? I would have wanted shadows on every objects, reflects on water, flutters on soldiers helmets and pikes, glimmering colors of the ground... the game to be a representation of the elements union and dance, a water and light ballet that would splash the screen... Where are the whales dancing with the elements of gleaming water all spred on the screen in an affront of the Great Order, defying the heat of the land? Yes I'm asking this to you, Firaxis developpers... IMPROVE THE GRAPHICS!!!

Well, hmmm, or... well as long as the game isn't out yet... maybe I just couldn't notice it? :D Yeah, let's hope that one didn't miss a revolution! : prey:

Hmmm welll... Let see. Why I think the graphics are just fine.

If they start making the grahpics really complex/awesome, the fan stuff- thats has made my civ experiance incredible- won't be up to par with the existing graphics. Also- on another note... If they take the time to improve the graphics, that means they'll have to spend less time somewhere else-particularly in the gameplay (that is unless they prolonged the release which would make me very happy either lol). IMO I'd much rather have awesome gameplay than awesome graphics. Civ graphics dont need to be great for it to be a great game. So why pester the Firaxis developers with this 'demand' when they are polishing up the game and making it awesome in time for its November release.

All in all, improving graphics takes away from moddability-or worthy moddablility, and makes cuts where they shouldn't be taken.

Some people play Civ for the graphics? :)

I'd probably play it with craptastic graphics, as long as the game was fun. :cool:

I agree with warpus and Sirian. Lets face it, if you want spectacular, cutting-edge graphics, play a FPS game.

As long as the graphics are functional, then that is all that matters. The strategy, modability and gameplay are much more important and I think, always have been in Civ.

Corn Shucker said:
If they take the time to improve the graphics, that means they'll have to spend less time somewhere else-particularly in the gameplay

As far as I know you have graphical designer who are doing nothing else then using their artistic technical knowledge to create graphics. The do nothing with gameplay. So you won't loose effort on that area...

Sirian said:
Some people play Civ for the graphics? :)

I'd probably play it with craptastic graphics, as long as the game was fun. :cool:

I play most of the game for ambiance, and Civ is not an exception.

Now imagine playing again those little squares that you have to fill in with "citizen", imagine you have to create a settler to expand, another settler, then build an army... then you crush some civs and become the number one, and soon enough you are the winner. I don't try to disgust you to play civ, particularly if you have not the same experience as me :D , but it is to say that I doubt that nowadays civ gameplay as it can remain as wonderfull as it was before, because of the number of the game you civfanatics have all passed on it.

Now I would have wanted something very special for the ambiance, and the way I imagine it is just wonderfull.

Warpus, do you know anything about 3D graphics? The level of detail adjusts itself with the distance you know. ;) Or you would wonder how actual Civ4 graphics can be displayed. ;) (they are not bad, but could be so better with some touches!)

Corn Shucker, slightly more elaborated graphics won't do anything to fans that want to mod the game... I agree with sassoundwave about the time needed to improve graphics... oh and I don't pester anybody, please. To say all I had to conclude this post and asking directly Firaxis about was not the worse way to do it. Still I agree, it's probably a little late, but who knows? And, amen, "better late than never".

Still, I don't think that the improvements I ask are that unfeasable. First off, shadows are already presents. Maybe they are too transparent IMO, and maybe some units lacks of them (but isn't it a wanted thing as units are taller than the rest and therefore a symbol? I would have wanted shadow on them anyway), but they are there. I would not want flutters on helmets and pikes being necessarily hard-coded, only the flutters on the units/mapping would be fine to me, as long as it 'ticks' the player's eye. (but the units armors are way too flat IMO) The reflects on water and the glimmering color of the ground would be the hardest to implement probably... but for what result! I can't even imagine it, come on, let's dream for God sake!

Naokaukodem said:
I play most of the game for ambiance, and Civ is not an exception.

I agree, but with all of the previous Civs the ambiance was purely in my mind. You know what, I think graphics have a long way to go before they catch up with that.

Civ 3 is not the kind of game that needs top graphics. They just need to make sure they don't fall behind with the FPS/RTS genres too much.

So while Civ 4 will have the look of game that could be published 2 or 3 years ago, the next generation (Civ V ?) will probably include reflections, realistic physics, shadows, unit and soil changes (footsteps, dirt, ...)
But by then, someone will ask why Civ V has not yet included refractions, photo-realistic high polygon/texture models, massive armies and all the other stuff available in the near future.

Well, everyone has their own opinion but I wish the style of the game were different. Everything is too bright and yes, even iconic. As Naokaukodem says, the game is also about ambience. Even though most people probably won't admit it here if Civ 4 had graphics like Civ 1 then the number of people who would play it would be very small.

Does anyone else think that the 'style' of the game would be better as something like this?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rometotalwar/screens.html?page=127

I must agree Rome Total War maps looks great.
And fighting battles in real time would also be nice in an epic Civ game ofcourse :D

i wish they made graphics so good, but SO good that civ4 wouldnt run on your PC :rolleyes:

warpus said:
Are you insane? If we had realistic and complex shadows, whales, little birds flying around, and all sorts of details in the game to make it prettier, then we would all have been stuck playing on really small maps.

If the game has high quality graphics , you can still play large maps on regular PC by turining everything off (shadows,reflection,..etc) and selecting low quality textures.
You have to note that game speed between turns will not be affected by graphics if the actions that are occuring are not visible. For example: on large map with 31 opponents , the calculations about AI moves will not be slowed down by high quality graphics , bcause what is happenening is not visible and is only pure calculations. If many units are visible at once then the game will be slowed down because of the large memory needed, but because Civ is turn based no realtime animation will occur, thus animations in Civ with high quality graphics should be faster that other games (It should be faster than ROme total war Battles if same graphics are used).

SonicX said:
So while Civ 4 will have the look of game that could be published 2 or 3 years ago, the next generation (Civ V ?) will probably include reflections, realistic physics, shadows, unit and soil changes (footsteps, dirt, ...)
But by then, someone will ask why Civ V has not yet included refractions, photo-realistic high polygon/texture models, massive armies and all the other stuff available in the near future.

Well, I don't ask for features. But rather for a picture that I had in my mind, that's the difference.

Sunlight coming in from the East of the game map and setting in the West would be cool.

kittenOFchaos said:
Sunlight coming in from the East of the game map and setting in the West would be cool.

nice thought of yours...

however: with the (necessary) game speed of civilization, sun would rise and set in less than a blink of an eye...

but what about seeing seasons passing by? spring: birds, fresh green plains, farmers spreading seeds, singing birds... summer: dark green trees, strong sun, short shadows, full blossom corn fields... autumn: orange and yellow trees, storms, rain... winter: empty trees, snow, frozen lakes and rivers, long shadows

of course seasons would pass by pretty fast too, but that would be cool in a way. it would give a feeling for time passing that is lacking a bit in former civ versions imho

Why settle for one or the other?
Why not have great gameplay and great grahpics?
Firaxis has an art department. They are not involved with gameplay. Let them improve the graphics.
I thought that maybe 3-D was inherently inferior to 2-D as far as graphics were concerned, but viewing the screenshots of the upcoming Rise of Legends shows that it can be done.
Why then, is Firaxis not doing it?

WaterMoon said:
Why then, is Firaxis not doing it?

Simple, money. While they may have an art department that is separate from the programming staff, they have a certain budget for the game. Every dollar spent on art is one dollar not spent on design or programming.

Possibly it's only the money. But then you would need to know how much more is required to improve the graphics before we know that's the issue.
Maybe Firaxis believes the graphics they now have are okay and that's disturbing.

Top Bottom