Firaxis' Shape Of Things To Come: BE2 or Civ VII?

I don't think a Star Trek (or any franchise) reskinned Civ game would have a lot of complex nuance/story, it would likely be along the lines of Klingons get military bonuses, Ferengi get economic bonuses, Vulcans get science bonuses, Borg I dunno can only conquer not found cities, etc.

I don't think a Star Trek (or any franchise) reskinned Civ game would have a lot of complex nuance/story, it would likely be along the lines of Klingons get military bonuses, Ferengi get economic bonuses, Vulcans get science bonuses, Borg I dunno can only conquer not found cities, etc.
Oh, boy, did the Ferengi get economy bonuses. To the point of being broken OP. :p The Borg in BotF were just a random event; they'd show up in your empire and wreak havoc. I remember one particular game where every empire in the game except mine and one other (the Romulans, I believe) had been totally wiped out by the Borg. We were both down to one colony and no ships; whoever lost the next colony would lose. Sadly, it was I who lost the next colony. :p

Full disclosure: I never acquired or played SMAC/X.

Oh man, you are missing out. :p

I purchased a copy on GoG a couple of years ago and played it on my MacBook Air. It works flawlessly. It's astonishing!

Regardless it was highly acclaimed and I think Sid Meier had a hand in its development AFAIK. It appears to be inspired by Hubert's Dune, in that it had weird stuff like Psionic combat. And there was a strange Transcendence victory, which was humans reaching a higher level of consciousness. Then there was the Xenofungus which is a better version of BERT's miasma. Research and Social Engineering (I think) could allow you to use the Xenofungus as roads! Also you could train/make aliens. (Something a modder could certainly do for BERT). In BERT you can leash aliens which is a cheaper/better probably. But I think I preferred SMAC/X's set of aliens to BERTs. (They weren't vertebrates for starters).

It took Firaxis two decades to be able to engineer Climate and Terraforming (raising/lowering terrain) into one of its Civ games again, in Civ VI GS.
BE 2 really should add Climate (and climate change). I mean the "Rising Tide" expansion was a bit of a misnomer. Gathering Storm really was Civ VI Rising Tide.

---

Back OT: BE's co-Lead Will Miller tweets:
Will Miller on Twitter: "Booster + flu shot destroyed me today, so I’m holed up on the couch feverishly watching videos about the Apollo guidance computer." / Twitter

Could this be a hint at BE 2?

"...watching videos about the Apollo guidance computer". :p
But he was watching the videos after getting his booster shot and flu shot, so they're clearly working on another Civ 6 expansion that will add a disease mechanic to the game :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom